Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

changed halfshaft need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed halfshaft need help

I have a 2000 civic si, my passengerside halfshaft has been going bad for awhile and I have been unable to find one at any of the local parts stores, they all say sorry we can't get that part. so going with what I thought and other people said would work I got a halfshaft for a 2000 integra ls, it looked identical to the one I had in every way and fit perfectly. The problem I am having is when I give it more than a little gas, I can feel that side of the car starting to shake. I know everything is tightened properly and it's not the first time I have taken that area apart so I didn't do anything wrong. the joints seems stiff when I was installing it, could it be just that it needs to be driven for awhile?? I appreciate any suggestions or help. and as always thank you to anyone who can help me.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed halfshaft need help (killerslp)

is the axle installed all the way...? are you sure? maybe you should double check that..... and all the bolts are tightened? if so then you're okay.... axles do need a few hundred miles to loosen those joints.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i know exactly what is happening, the axles arent in all the way.... you got to make sure that the axles are in ALL the way.. i dont know how to describe it, but you can hammer in the axle usin the axle itself.... well whatever it is, check all the gaps on the axles where it meets the halfshaft
Old 01-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Pooping on children

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (2FastxEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2FastxEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i know exactly what is happening, the axles arent in all the way.... you got to make sure that the axles are in ALL the way.. i dont know how to describe it, but you can hammer in the axle usin the axle itself.... well whatever it is, check all the gaps on the axles where it meets the halfshaft</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would never under any cicumstance hit an axle with a hammer
Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 PM
H-T White Ops

gotta make sure that you can hear a thunk/clunk/click sound when you put the new one into the tranny. If you don't hear/feel that sound it's not in all the way and you're asking for trouble.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BADEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BADEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would never under any cicumstance hit an axle with a hammer</TD></TR></TABLE>

I said, hammer it in with the axle... you can hammer it in with the other side of the axle.... until it pops in.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: (2FastxEg)

The shaking you are describing generally is caused by a faulty inboard cv joint on older axles. I have had this symptom reappear on rebuilt axles as they can often be faulty. Make sure there is no play in the inboard cv joint. Also, how did you measure the axle length? Did you fully compress both axles? If you did it any other way there is a chance that the axle is too short or too long and this may cause the symptom you are describing.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: (yellow_jacket)

looking at the axle where it goes into the transmission it looks like it's almost touchiing the transmission housing so I assume it's in all the way. their was too much background noise when I did it to actually hear if it clicked when it locked in. like I said, when I went to put it in the joints were really stiff unlike the old one where it just flopped around it took a decent amount of force to move it. I will get my pry bar and see if feels like it's locked in the tranny or not. and if it was too long or too short why would it only make a difference when I try to accelerate hard, wouldn't it be all the time?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Re: (killerslp)

I went out lastnight and tried to pry the end out of the tranny and it didn't move at all, so I am assuming it's locked in place. after that I drove the car around the block a few times and didn't seem to notice the shaking as bad as it had been the night before. then this morning I am going to work and it's back to the way it was rigth after I installed it. I have put roughly 20 miles on it so far.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if youre going to the car parts store looking for a passenger side halfshaft then theres no wonder you cant get it because the half( or intermediate) shaft is only on the drivers side. the axle on the passenger side goes direcly into the tranny ie no halfshaft.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:09 AM

ok call your local parts store and tell them to goet there heads out of there asses tell them you need the passenger side drive axle and what about the warranty must of run out because i would of had honda fix it
Old 01-26-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: changed halfshaft need help (monicle)

if their is no halfshaft on the passenger side then explain why it's called a halfshaft everywhere, infact even the box it's in calls it a halfshaft. do both of them look identical?? isn't the driver side shorter than the passenger side?? and ofcourse the warranty ran out it's a 2000, if it was still under warranty I would have taken it to honda to replace, but becuase of the turbo I have on it they wouldn't have done it anyways.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a half shaft and its on the drivers side.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 AM

Default Re: changed halfshaft need help (monicle)

I was told in the past that that was the intermediate shaft, and that isn't what I installed on the passengerside. second goto http://www.autozone.com http://www.discountautoparts.com and search for the part, it's reffered to as a cv halfshaft, then you choose right or left side. also wtf does it matter what it's called, I know it's not the wrong part, I wanted to know if anyone knew why it would be doing what it is, is it bad or does it just need to break in.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:06 PM

just incase anyone cared, I spent the last 30 minutes putting the old axle back in and it works fine now. the new one was in perfectly, the problem was it has a defective outter joint, I say this becuase you have to force it to move almost like the bearings are siezed up. when I was moving it before I installed it it was stiff but moved smooth when it did, now it kinda makes a grinding noise. it's my luck that I get a bad part, I guess I will just wait till I have alot more money and get both replacements from raxles.com, or does anyone else have any recommendations for an affordable replacement? I am boosted but don't plan on going over 230hp(probably alot less than this anyways) anytime soon. thanks