Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

center jack point ruined

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center jack point ruined

Okay I have a ej1. I am starting to believe that more and more this car has been wrecked up front. I believe a weak radiator support has been used. The reason so is because, well, after a while my radiator support is bent from using the center jack point. Yesterday after I put my radiator back in the damn hood wouldn't close without force (because radiator contact). I want to know if this **** is normal or what (radiator support bending). I will use the tow hooks from now on and just replace those when they get bent bc thats what got me using the center jack point in the first place. I will get another radiator support too maybe a honda one Let me know if you guys have this issue.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: center jack point ruined (mphinesee)

most likely it have been damage and whoever just pull it back to make it look normal.

imo: replace the whole rad support.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: center jack point ruined (=GAMEOVER=)

How would I bend the radiator support back into shape? Is that what you mean? Its pretty tough. At minimum-- which will just be a quick fix-- I am gonna bend the lower radiator tabs so that hood to radiator clearance exists.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:33 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I know, the lower rad support was never designed to be used as a jacking point in the first place. There are designated places on the rocker panels but not up front as it was only supposed to support the rad, not the weight of the car.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: center jack point ruined (00Red_SiR)

I was actually reluctant to do so. The Honda service manual says the floor jack points are on the radiator support ( not directly in the center) and also the rear tow hook. I havent found or looked for evidence that this is not an oem radiator support. I am thinking it is a cheap and weak replacement since it bent. I don't think Honda would list those jack points knowing it would do harm. But if anyone else has had this problem with an oem radiator support please post. I would like to know if this is common or not.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:53 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm ya that's strange..I don't remember seeing the rad support listed as a jacking point in my manual. I know I've never attempted to use it myself because you could tell it was flimsy.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mphinesee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How would I bend the radiator support back into shape? Is that what you mean? Its pretty tough. At minimum-- which will just be a quick fix-- I am gonna bend the lower radiator tabs so that hood to radiator clearance exists.</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said, its been damage hence the soft metal. once the metal has been bent, you could try to reshape it, but its not going to be strong like how it suppose to be. itll bend again.

just get a new one and replace it.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: center jack point ruined (=GAMEOVER=)

You are def right about the metal remaining weak. I just bent the radiator tabs themselves which lowered the radiator enough for the hood to close without issues. But I guess that will have to do until I can get a new support. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by =GAMEOVER= &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

like i said, its been damage hence the soft metal. once the metal has been bent, you could try to reshape it, but its not going to be strong like how it suppose to be. itll bend again.

just get a new one and replace it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mphinesee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay I have a ej1. I am starting to believe that more and more this car has been wrecked up front. I believe a weak radiator support has been used. The reason so is because, well, after a while my radiator support is bent from using the center jack point. Yesterday after I put my radiator back in the damn hood wouldn't close without force (because radiator contact). I want to know if this **** is normal or what (radiator support bending). I will use the tow hooks from now on and just replace those when they get bent bc thats what got me using the center jack point in the first place. I will get another radiator support too maybe a honda one Let me know if you guys have this issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it normal for the radiator "support" to bend. I actually tried this before to see if this was a jacking point. even on the helms manual, it says it's a jacking point. so I started to jack up the car half way up, I noticed the radiator support starting to bend. so I dropped the jack off and attempted to shut the hood down. it wouldn't close competely. So went an got my trusty 4' breaker bar and BFH(big ******* hammer) I put the breaker bar on top of the highest point on the bend and using the BFH I pounded the radiator support until it's straight. after that my hood closes competely now. no issues either, that was about 2 years ago when I tried that experiment. I'll NEVER use that radiator support again to jack up the car. I only use the side jacking points only and also the rear jack point too but not the so called "radiator support" area
Old 10-02-2004, 07:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: center jack point ruined (sleeperciv)

My question is, are there any sturdy jacking points in the front of the car? If there was, wouldnt it make it easier to get the car up on jack stands?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Re: center jack point ruined (sleeperciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes it normal for the radiator "support" to bend. I actually tried this before to see if this was a jacking point. even on the helms manual, it says it's a jacking point. so I started to jack up the car half way up, I noticed the radiator support starting to bend. so I dropped the jack off and attempted to shut the hood down. it wouldn't close competely. So went an got my trusty 4' breaker bar and BFH(big ******* hammer) I put the breaker bar on top of the highest point on the bend and using the BFH I pounded the radiator support until it's straight. after that my hood closes competely now. no issues either, that was about 2 years ago when I tried that experiment. I'll NEVER use that radiator support again to jack up the car. I only use the side jacking points only and also the rear jack point too but not the so called "radiator support" area </TD></TR></TABLE>

you ever use the front tow hooks...they bend after a while too
Old 10-03-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Re: center jack point ruined (DOHC4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is, are there any sturdy jacking points in the front of the car? If there was, wouldnt it make it easier to get the car up on jack stands?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i jack my car all the time using that little nub they got on the radiator support. thats the only way i can jack it hi enought to get it on stands.