Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL On Makes Engine Run Worse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL On Makes Engine Run Worse?

Why are Si's (I'm assuming all Hondas) so much slower when there's a CEL on? It's a night and day difference in my 2000. Explain?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Silly question but seriously?

Your CEL must be too bright; thus draining your battery and engine juice.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe because ur CEL light on is telling u something is wrong with the engine, which explains why it will run like crap...or slower....etc...
Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Moron
Your CEL must be too bright; thus draining your battery and engine juice.
DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW HOW TO IGNORE A TOPIC IF THEY CAN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION, OR DOES EVRYONE THINK IT'S FUNNY TO POST LAME SMART-*** REMARKS?!?!?

To answer the question:

The check engine light being on itself doesn't automatically make the car slower. It depends on WHY the light is being triggered, and what code(s) are being thrown.

Example:

A code P1456 for evap system leak, tank could be caused by a loose gas cap. Since this issue doesn't harm the engine the car will actually run just fine without any noticable difference.

However if the code is a P0301-P0304 or P0300 well those are for cylinder misfires, which could mean a number of various engine problems that themselves cause the engine to run like crap. Valves out of adjustment, fouled spark plugs, etc. etc. In this case the probem causing the check engine light to come on IS what makes the engine run like crap.

There are also numerous other codes that cause the engine computer to throw the engine in "limp mode" so that it keeps major engine damage from ocurring. Things like TDC sensor, CKF/CKP sensor, etc. can cause the ECU to limit rpm to only 3500 and the car will run like complete crap until you diagnose and fix the issue.

You NEED to scan those codes to see why the engine is running poorly. I'd almost bet it'll be a P1259 VTEc system code because you're probably low on engine oil, which disables the VTEC system, and thus the car runs like crap. If you are in fact low on oil certainly add enough to be at the proper level, but then find out WHY you were low on oil in the first place.

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; 05-02-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ very informative
Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM

if u cel is on its usually a emissions code. if its fllashing its a dangerous misfiring code. it throws the emission code cause one of ur sensors is not working properly or at all. use a scan tool find out wat it is and you will be fine
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SquirtleSquadEf9
if u cel is on its usually a emissions code. if its fllashing its a dangerous misfiring code.
I didn't know that, thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 PM

my bad let me clear something up. If the CEL is flashing that means there is a dangerous misfire/detonation occuring in side the engine!!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Si_Guy2000
Why are Si's (I'm assuming all Hondas) so much slower when there's a CEL on? It's a night and day difference in my 2000. Explain?
It has nothing to do with it being an Si.

Your car is probably in limp mode.

A misfire won't make a flashing CEL (none of the misfires I've seen so far).

You can get your car scanned for free at many auto parts stores, including Autozone.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by NOFX
It has nothing to do with it being an Si.

Your car is probably in limp mode.

A misfire won't make a flashing CEL (none of the misfires I've seen so far).

You can get your car scanned for free at many auto parts stores, including Autozone.

x2

I've never seen that either. But NOFX is right. Check the code, either at a auto store or use the service connector. Pull the code and let us know.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 PM

Well, in obd2 there are type A and type B misfires.

Minor errors like the evap code would be considered a type b and just illuminate the MIL.

Severe problems that could potentiall damage the CAT (since all cel's are emissions related) would register a type A misfire...thus flashing the idiot light letting the operator know that something is wrong....ie misfire causing raw fuel to flood the cat.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW HOW TO IGNORE A TOPIC IF THEY CAN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION, OR DOES EVRYONE THINK IT'S FUNNY TO POST LAME SMART-*** REMARKS?!?!?
You know what, I actually thought what Moron said was kinda funny, I got a lol out of it. And hopefully the OP isn't in tears by being offended...

Obviously your post was the correct and best way to answer this thread, but I think of it like a yin and yang thing to balance out the quality of a thread
Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 PM

To answer the question:

The check engine light being on itself doesn't automatically make the car slower. It depends on WHY the light is being triggered, and what code(s) are being thrown.

Example:

A code P1456 for evap system leak, tank could be caused by a loose gas cap. Since this issue doesn't harm the engine the car will actually run just fine without any noticable difference.

However if the code is a P0301-P0304 or P0300 well those are for cylinder misfires, which could mean a number of various engine problems that themselves cause the engine to run like crap. Valves out of adjustment, fouled spark plugs, etc. etc. In this case the probem causing the check engine light to come on IS what makes the engine run like crap.

There are also numerous other codes that cause the engine computer to throw the engine in "limp mode" so that it keeps major engine damage from ocurring. Things like TDC sensor, CKF/CKP sensor, etc. can cause the ECU to limit rpm to only 3500 and the car will run like complete crap until you diagnose and fix the issue.

You NEED to scan those codes to see why the engine is running poorly. I'd almost bet it'll be a P1259 VTEc system code because you're probably low on engine oil, which disables the VTEC system, and thus the car runs like crap. If you are in fact low on oil certainly add enough to be at the proper level, but then find out WHY you were low on oil in the first place.

What he said!!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SquirtleSquadEf9
if u cel is on its usually a emissions code. if its fllashing its a dangerous misfiring code.
that is so untrue my children will know of your idiocy
never seen a misfire (lean burn or ignition related) damage a stock motor.

we've been answering the same questions, year after year, time after time, swap after swap, noob after noob.

i do it because i know my **** and can answer tech questions accurately and intelligently. but as we know, a stupid question, gets a stupid answer. and a little lulz helps the day go by. and it really makes an impression on people who post misinformation, whether they don't know or are just making a lame suggestion.

but OP, check the code and see what the problems is. then we can give you an answer. otherwise yes, a cel will have adverse effects on driveablility and perfomance. duh, its a malfunction indicator light, malfunction
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To answer the question:

Example:

I'm glad to see a mod addressing this problem, if you don't know the answer then shut-up or at the very least state that you are making an educated guess. I see some ridiculous answers in this forum, almost more stupid than some of the questions that are asked, which are easily covered in the giant faq.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
we've been answering the same questions, year after year, time after time, swap after swap, noob after noob.

i do it because i know my **** and can answer tech questions accurately and intelligently. but as we know, a stupid question, gets a stupid answer. and a little lulz helps the day go by. and it really makes an impression on people who post misinformation, whether they don't know or are just making a lame suggestion.
It's one thing to post a smart assed reply, but then also answer the question correctly and end up helping a guy out - it's another thing altogether to just type some stupid assed one liner and offer ZERO help.

I am as much of a smart *** as anyone, and have posted as such, but the key is being a jerk AND a nice guy (for helping out) at the same time.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I agree that it's nice to see a moderator address what seems to be a growing problem since so many regulars have stopped posting and so many newbies have started posting. The issue being that there has been far too many "jokes" and off topic BS posted in threads, often from the beginning.

I would love to see this made a habit of other moderators too, perhaps.

Anyway, I'm going to follow my own advice and stop posting off topic BS in this thread.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=MonkeyMagic;38389388]that is so untrue my children will know of your idiocy

first of all have u came across a flashing CEL??? Second of all have u taken a ASE certified course on OBD2??? if not shut the F*** up. u dont know wat the hell ur talking about. ive seen a piston wit a hole one top of it from misfire/early detonation. its people like u that kill and mess up threads acting like they know everything being smart a**es. read a OBD2 book so u can know wat u are talking about.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=SquirtleSquadEf9;38391063]
Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
that is so untrue my children will know of your idiocy

first of all have u came across a flashing CEL??? Second of all have u taken a ASE certified course on OBD2??? if not shut the F*** up. u dont know wat the hell ur talking about. ive seen a piston wit a hole one top of it from misfire/early detonation. its people like u that kill and mess up threads acting like they know everything being smart a**es. read a OBD2 book so u can know wat u are talking about.
Isn't everybody on Honda-Tech like this? including me and you. I think so.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 PM

well ummm idk haha but still...people should try and help the guy asking the question and not talk **** on him just cause he doesnt know or asks the question in the wrong way....
Old 05-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might be in limp mode, or the problem the CEL is pointing to is causing the sluggishness. Get the CEL scanned, fix the problem indicated. Not that difficult.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You might be in limp mode, or the problem the CEL is pointing to is causing the sluggishness. Get the CEL scanned, fix the problem indicated. Not that difficult.
What he said!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 AM

car could be on limp mode.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
Isn't everybody on Honda-Tech like this? including me and you. I think so.
No they are not. Do not ever group me with you.

OP, pull the CEL codes. You can use a paperclip to do this. If you do not know how, go to a local auto parts and they will most likely do it for free.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 AM

Once again I will say it because some posters obviously know very little about the obd2 engine management system....

Steay MIL - Type B misfire - Minor concern, low percentage chance of catalyst damage.

Flashing MIL - Type A misfire - Major concern, high percentage chance of catalyst damage resulting in failure.

Lean misfire or rich misfire....a misfire is a misfire....the a/f charge still isnt being ignited resulting in gasoline hitting that hot *** cat.

Now..as far as the sluggish feeling goes, based on the failure, the computer may decide to pull timing and fatten up the a/f ratio to cool the combustion chamber RESULTING IN A LOWER CHANCE OF DETONATION AND OR PREIGNITION. End of story.

And no, not all of us are the same...if we were, there would be no need for this forum.

Quick Reply: CEL On Makes Engine Run Worse?