Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL light on but no flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CEL light on but no flashing

Hey ht, I have a 93 del sol with the d15b7 all stock. I was just shifting into 3rd gear, when all of a sudden my cel comes on. Does not flash, stays steady. Immediately I noticed hesitation. Went and bought some new ngk's, because it was time for them anyways. But still no difference. I read before when the cel does that its the ECU.

When I try to start it the cel comes on and off in 2 secs, fuel pump primes also like normal. it will idle at 400 as soon as you start it, really sounds like its struggling, doesnt want to idle. Seems like it instantly ran rich, after the cel came on.

Any insight is highly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CEL light on but no flashing

The CEL doesn't just magically start flashing on it's own unless it's a serious code. You have to jump the service connector to get blink codes. Check the FAQ sticky for a how-to.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looked at the faqs sticky, go to pull the floorboard and there's only one wire connector, it's black and green on the bottom. Has no grey, or the brown, green white strip wires like the sticky says.

I can't find the service connector, do I have to pull the ecu?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 PM

That's a different connector - not the one you're looking for. It might be up above the ECU (get a flash light, contort yourself, and hunt the sucker down) or behind the ECU (10mm or 12mm, a few bolts, easy to remove), but it's there.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time the CEL flashes is when the computer detects a misfire. What your experiencing sounds like your computer fell into limp mode. Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about a minute then let it idle and warm up with no electrical load on the engine (radio, ac, lights, etc)
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Technically, it flashes for "catalyst-damaging events". A misfire is the most common, but there are other codes that'll cause a flashing CEL. What you're telling him to do is reset the ECU, which is step #2. Step #1 is ALWAYS "pull the codes."
Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Technically, it flashes for "catalyst-damaging events". A misfire is the most common, but there are other codes that'll cause a flashing CEL. What you're telling him to do is reset the ECU, which is step #2. Step #1 is ALWAYS "pull the codes."

I was under the assumption that anybody concerned about their vehicle would do that before anything anyways, providing resetting the ecu clears the codes.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM

If you had read the thread, you would have realized that we're still working on step 1.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cannot find the service jump connector. I'm looking right at the ecu. There's only one wire going all the way up... Nothing is up there. Pulled the ecu nothing is behind it. Looked under the glove box not there either. Is it possible PO took it out? It looks like someone was playing around down there.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyways this is what's it's doing

http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/White_EG1/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jump connector is either under the glove box or the right kick panel and most likely the latter.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Sometimes, especially on the Del Sol chassis, the green rubber service connector reservoir is mounted up high on the wiring bundle running vertically between the passenger side outer wall and the blower box. Look straight up from under the dash along the right (passenger) edge of the glove box... shine a flashlight up in there if necessary... and locate the green rubber boot with two plastic plugs pushed into it. One has three wires, the other has two. It is the two wire connector that is in fact your CEL/service connector. Sometimes, it is nearly invisible because it is laid over toward the inside of the dash panel on that right corner as it curves out and up toward passenger seat.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well we fixed it guys. Friend came over helped jumped the connector... Which was right in front of me face smh. Got code 14 which is IACV. but I already cleaned it out like 3 months ago. So we keep digging, and took out the FITV the thread was totally out of spec! Screwed it all the way down. Popped it back in, and bam. Best idle it ever had and after resetting the ecu no more cel.

Thanks guys for the help!