Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL: IACV Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL: IACV Problems

OK... I know most people have heard of the erratic idle problems. I tried a lot of things to cure it. Then one day it gave me a CEL (code 14: Electronic Air Control/IACV). So... I took it back to the dealership... they replaced the IACV. Two days later (today) it throws the CEL at me again. After i left the dealership the car was still kinda "seeking" for an idle but then it would eventually settle at the right point. The next things I was planning to check out was the TPS (was gonna replace it), and the FPR (I was gonna put back a stock one on there). But the CEL came on it was code 14 again today. WHAT COULD IT BE. SOMEONE PLEEEEASE HELP. All the mods I have are an Injen short ram intake, a b&m fpr, and i've ran 55 shot of nitrous on it... about 6 months ago.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (CivicRyda2k)

BTW: I've tried carb cleaner. And since it gives off a CEL pointing to the IACV I doubt it's a vacuum leak from anywhere else aside from the IACV itself.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might have a leak somewhere in your intake manifold or throttle body. have you tried setting your idle? also, is this a single cam motor or b-series or other?
Old 04-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (Jackson)

it's a single cam. I think I might have a leak from the manifold... maybe from the part where the hose from the fpr goes to... I MIGHT have bent it accidentally a little. But why would that cause a CEL from the IACV? And even then if I did bend it... it was a while ago.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:11 PM

if it does it all the time, try blocking off the iacv with gasket paper. If it fixes the problem then it is the iacv. But I have tried other used good iacv's also and it did the same thing. Perhaps you hit on something new. The fpr hose. hmm.... Well, right now my iacv is blocked off. If I take it off, then it messes up, but it doesn't throw a code. weird... anyways... try that hose and if it works, post it and pm me too!

Peace
Old 04-05-2002, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (hb_racer)

I dunno what it is. Like everytime i drive and then come to a stop... the car always seeks for an idle and then finally drops to normal. And the CEL only comes on randomly and occasionally... i can drive it like 2 days fine (with the seeking problem still there) and then i'll be at a light... and then the CEL will come on. I'm like so clueless.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TOP someone pleeeeease help!
Old 04-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

things to check for...bad iacv, bad fitv, or bad throttle body. your fitv could have came unscrewed all the way making a high sproradic idle.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:50 PM
New User

same thing is happening to me. every morning it rev's from 1500 to 2500 until engine gets hot then it settles at 1500 ....... sucks.... i change all hoses.. maybe i have a bad iacv.i'll look into that.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (SleeperEG6)

i have idle problems also. i checked the wiring for the IACV with my volt meter and everything read fine. i put direct battery voltage to the IACV and it was clicking(meaning it works). i throw a code 14 also.*shrugs* i dont know wat else it could be.

when motor is cold i have to put a lil pressure to the gas pedal for it to irev to 1500 then when the temp needle starts goin up i can let off the gas and it will idle fine.

i cleaned my TB, checked all vaccum lines, timing is correct. the only thing i am lookin at checking is the TPS.

help anybody..........................???????????????
Old 04-20-2002, 05:18 PM
New User

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (dirtySOHC's)

i had the same problem mine was throttle body leakage. check that out.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (SleeperEG6)

I think i'm just gonna put anything that has a vaccum line hooked up to it back to stock (ie my intake, fpr) and then take it back to honda. a 2 year old car IMO should NOT be doing that. I wonder if the motor got addicted to the 55 shot and now is having withdrawal symptoms eh... oh well. Gonna check it out tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:17 PM

i had the same exact problem..it would just keep bouncing when i come to a stop, but the middle wire connected to the TPS was not getting enough volts so it would keep throwing a idle control valve code. i cut out a section of the wire (since i had ZEX kit hooked to it before, leaving it kinda striped) and tied it up again and it works now. hope this helps
Old 04-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL: IACV Problems (boostincivic)

i had the same exact problem..it would just keep bouncing when i come to a stop, but the middle wire connected to the TPS was not getting enough volts so it would keep throwing a idle control valve code. i cut out a section of the wire (since i had ZEX kit hooked to it before, leaving it kinda striped) and tied it up again and it works now. hope this helps

OMG boostincivic... I think i lub u. well... not really but anyway...
I think that might be the prob. I had zex on my car too. I still have the tap on the wire so as soon as daylight breaks i'm gonna go check it out. Hope that works. Thanks a lot. BTW. What do u mean by
"i cut out a section of the wire and tied it up again
. Do you mean u cut the wire and then reconnected it? If so, how? Did u solder it back on?
Old 04-20-2002, 11:49 PM

yea i just cut that section out and tied them together, remember to reset the ecu and disconnect the negative terminal while doing it..later man