Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL flickering low, Main relay making clicking sound, shorted wire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL flickering low, Main relay making clicking sound, shorted wire?

Hello,

Ok I've done some extensive searching on H-T but haven't come up with any good information to help me.

This is on a 95 Honda Civic EX (M/T), stock motor D16z6 with basic bolt-ons, just installed the JDM foglights and took out an old POS alarm. Right now my car will start but won't stay running. The Main relay (RX-0132 or RX-1059, I replaced it with no avail) was making some clicking noises and the CEL is flickering very low. I can turn the igntion on and off 10 times (just to ON position not running) and maybe 1-2 times the CEL stays light bright and the fuel pump comes on, but it's not consistant. I tried wiggling around those wires on the main relay but it didn't seem to make any difference. I also tried doing the same to the ECU harness (at the ECU), again it didn't seem to make any difference. From all the friends I've talked to it seems to be some sort of short somewhere, but now I need to know where to start.. ? One friend mentioned to check all the grounds on the ECU... How do you go about doing this? Also just as a background of what I've already tried..

A few days ago when it was still running it was throughing a few codes. 14 and 20. The Idle Air Controller was replaced, the car was idling better after I changed that out. I thought it might be the TPS, I had a good throttle body from a 92 SI swapped it out, that made no difference. I had a spare ECU P28, changed it out and it made no difference. I just also swapped out the fuel pump with a warbro/holley pump. Still no difference.

When I turn the car over trying to start it, it fires off, but I have to give it gas to even try and keep it running, but no matter what it still won't stay running. It's sputters and fluxuates very bad. Also the last few days when it was running the speedo and tach where acting very stangely, and boucing around. I don't know if this is correlated to the problem at hand. But alot of the wired problems came after I lowered my car.

Now I'm in a bind and am going to a High Performace Driving School this next weekend Oct 22 and have to get my car running by Thursday. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks!

--
Rick
Old 10-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL flickering low, Main relay making clicking sound, shorted wire? (psycheus)

sounds like something might be unplugged on your engine harness, or you might have a loose or missing ground
Old 10-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem in my coupe, The door seal was missing out of the drivers side door and it allowed my main relay to get wet.. Same results..clicking.. Replaced it and fixed, two weeks later same ****..

Pull the main relay and and take the cover off and inspect the joints on the relay for corrosion & dry joints.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL flickering low, Main relay making clicking sound, shorted wire? (psycheus)

Ok it's fixed now. It was a loose ground connection on the coolant t-stat. Tightened it up and I'm good to go.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psycheus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok it's fixed now. It was a loose ground connection on the coolant t-stat. Tightened it up and I'm good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

told ya