Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL Code 43 ??? What could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL Code 43 ??? What could be wrong?

OK, so I replaced the seal on my valve cover, and replaced a broken exhaust manifold (With a used stock one that looks identicle but does not have the heat shield mounts on the back) and changed the oil (May have over filled it slightly)

We had a hell of a time getting the oxygen sensor off and had to cut the wires to get a box whrench on it... I re connected the wires with marrets untill I can solder them tonight. We eventually snapped the sensor loose but I want to stress that between the penetrating oil, and the air chisel we really beat the hell out of the manifod to get it out.

So I'm on my way home and the car is a little lurchy and then I get the Check Engine Lite. I take it back to the garage and get the code (My first time and I only know how to do it thanks to you guys.) 4 long and 3 short (amazingly short...)

I figured it would be the oxygen sensor but the chart here:

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/codes.html

Says it's the fuel delivery system... Is that right? What could I have touched to screw it up?

The only other details I can think of is that the brace for the exhaust manifold was not connected to the block before and it is now...
Old 07-02-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: CEL Code 43 ??? What could be wrong? (Arbadacarba)

One other thing that could be my answer.. there is a rubber hose going to a solid line on the back of the valve cover on the passenger side... I don't think I put the clamp back on it... I put the hose in place but I don't think I clamped it.

Oh, And another ting... When I replaced the sparkplug seals on the valve cover, I did slight damage to one and did not oil them... (How are you supposed to put these things in?)

Modified by Arbadacarba at 11:38 AM 7/2/2003
Old 07-02-2003, 09:05 AM

OK, Talked to my guy at honda and he tells me that it is the O2 sensor... The Defective O2 sensor is messing up the fuel requirement and the computer is seeing that result and thinking it is the fuel system.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Arbadacarba)

Hey, I have a code 43 too coming up. I just replace my O2 sensor and it is still coming up.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importimage)

coincidence. i pulled that code today. popped up as i was idling... not the first time either.... usually i turn the car off, it goes away. doesnt come back until the cars idling, or something bout the 4th time it comes on about 2.5months.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:30 AM

Mine went away after I replaced the sensor ans reset the computer...

Importimage, did you reset the computer? I had to pull the backup fuse for way more than 10 seconds to get it to reset.

Of course, my car is now dead on the side of the road but that may be a different mater.

(She just died on the highway after fixing it.)
Old 07-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: CEL Code 43 ??? What could be wrong? (Arbadacarba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arbadacarba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

penetrating oil, </TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not good to use penetrating oil on an o2 unless your not planning to reuse it. It contaminates the element so they don't read right.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importimage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I have a code 43 too coming up. I just replace my O2 sensor and it is still coming up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What's your fuel presure?
Old 07-04-2003, 09:04 AM

How do you check the fuel pressure?
Old 07-04-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Re: (h22civic95coupe)

(43) Accord Civic CRV CRX Del Sol Odyssey Prelude
90-95 92-95 n/a n/a 93-95 95 90-95
Fuel Supply System
defective or malfunctioning fuel supply system
Old 07-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to agree with him, ordinarilly I would not, but in this case, you had not check engine light before butchering the O2 sensor, so I would certainly replace the O2 sensor w/ a known working O2 sensor from the same year.

Last year I had a check engine light on my 95 EX (can't remember the code, but it was not 43, however, it did point to the O2 sensor), I replaced my O2 sensor w/ an O2 sensor from a 96 and the check engine light remained on, I returned it for a 95 O2 sensor and the check engine light went away.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arbadacarba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, Talked to my guy at honda and he tells me that it is the O2 sensor... The Defective O2 sensor is messing up the fuel requirement and the computer is seeing that result and thinking it is the fuel system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have to agree with him, ordinarilly I would not, but in this case, you had not check engine light before butchering the O2 sensor, so I would certainly replace the O2 sensor w/ a known working O2 sensor from the same year.

Last year I had a check engine light on my 95 EX (can't remember the code, but it was not 43, however, it did point to the O2 sensor), I replaced my O2 sensor w/ an O2 sensor from a 96 and the check engine light remained on, I returned it for a 95 O2 sensor and the check engine light went away.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 43 and a code 1 on 2 diff cars. 1 is the O2 (primary) I have also noticed bad gas mileage. Could this also be due to the O2 being bad ?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 43 and a code 1 on 2 diff cars. 1 is the O2 (primary) I have also noticed bad gas mileage. Could this also be due to the O2 being bad ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Probably.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (X2BOARD)

Lets look at this logically:

Code 43 is set when the Long Term/Short Term Fuel Trim value has reached its max/min of 20%.

The LT/STFT value is adjusted by the ECU monitoring the O2 sensor output. The LT/STFT is used to compensate for worn components (among other things), for example, a clogged fuel filter. Since it lets less gas through, the mixture has become lean (from what the ECU expected it to be). The ECU uses the STFT to first adjust the a/f ratio by richening it up a bit. If the ECU sees that this change has brought the mixture back to acceptable limits, it then begins to move the LT value in the same direction. This action then moves the ST value back down towards 0. The LT value is held in memory when the car is turned off, the ST value is always reset to 0.

So basically, if the O2 is old and getting lazy, or has been contaminated, it will affect the LT/ST values to the point of the ECU throwing a code. However, if your mix IS really f'ed up, like your running a base map that runs rich, and the ECU is trying to compensate for it, you'll get the code as well.

FYI: On my stock 99 Cx hatch (D16Y7), after about 60k miles, my O2 gets slow and it shows up as a decrease in gas mileage (3-4mpg drop) as well performance (don't laugh, I ain't got much to begin with, so when it drops, its noticeable). After replacing it (as it is a regular service item) gas mileage goes right back to 40-41mpg, with an attendant increase in performance.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

that was a GREAT explanation (if that info is indeed correct ). i'm going to take a look at some of my fuel system parts and uhh, swap o2's with a friend.... just to see whats up... THANKS A LOT!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

At idle, my fuel pressure is 48 PSI. I do not think that is too low. I am really lost now as to what the problem is. I am going to unhook the ecu completly and then re-hook it up again.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What engine/ECU/mods do you have?
Old 07-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Cr VTEC Turbo setup running Hondata Stage 2 with boost. I am using the Apexi AVC-R. I never had this problem before but lately it is coming up. I dyno'd at 301 WHP at 10 PSI boost. Could it be fuel pump related.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:32 PM

Chris...where did you get your new o2's from? directly from honda...if so what did they run you? i may have to do the same and i here there are some pretty cheap places online...but i question the quality compared to oem.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2000CX)

I have a spare O2 sensor now. I thought that this was the problem regarding my code 43 problem, but it is obviously not because I still have the code. Anyways, I will sell my O2 for $60 shipped. It is in perfect working condition. Let me know if interested.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know how to fix this code yet? I am stumped
Old 08-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any more info on this topic? I'm now getting this light also .So, I am guessing somewhere I am losing fuel pressure and that is my problem. What is stock fuel pressure on b18a regulator?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4potnick)

Stock pressures (psi)...

B18Bs- 40-47
B18Cs- 48-55

Well, I was getting this code in my Gsr for quite a while along with a code 1 (Primary O2). I am getting horrible gas mileage (~23 Mpg). I changed the O2 last nite and gave the car a proper chance to set the new LT value. So far... no CEL.

*Hoping for 27+ Mpg
X2
Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4potnick)

i know this is a super old thread but i have turned to it and found very good information and i am going to add to this to be even more helpful.

i have a DA9 91 integra ls obd0 Replaced: fuel pump & fuel filter
this is indeed an 02 sensor issue if the check engine is going away when you turn your car off and it does not immediately come back on until you drive for a little bit. in obd0 the 02 sensor has to put out a certain voltage.

INFO FOR OBD0 ( info taken from Team integra ) http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=6

This code is set when the computer doesn't see certain reactions from the O2 sensor.

It will set if the O2 sensor output voltage does not go over 0.6 volts at wide open throttle (on a fully warmed up car)

It will also set if the sensor does not drop below 0.4 volts when the throttle is closed at over 4500 rpm.

I would start by testing the O2 sensor. I know you just replaced it, but that doesn't mean you got a good part.

Here's how you test it (stolen from another post of mine):

It is very easy to test. Take a voltmeter set to read from 0-1 volt, warm the car up fully, then use a paperclip to backprobe (ie, stick it in the back side of the connector until it touches the metal connection so you can read the signal on your voltmeter) the O2 sensor (located on the exhaust manifold, only one wire on a 91, so it's really easy and straightforward). Hook the positive lead of your voltmeter to the paperclip, the negative to a good ground.
With the engine fully warm and running, the voltage should switch back and forth above and below 0.5V. Should switch a couple times per second when you hold the throttle at 1500 rpm. If it stays stuck at one voltage, or never goes above/below 0.5V, the O2 sensor is bad. If it switches, goose the throttle. The voltage should drop to 0.2V or less, and then go up to 0.8V or more when you close the throttle. If it doesn't, the O2 sensor is bad.

INFO FOR OBD1 ( info taken from honda-tech.com )
FOR universial OBD1 02 sensors
chop off the connector on your old O2 sensor and crimp or solder it to the universal O2 sensor.

white - black (heater wires)
white - black (heater wires)
gray - green (ground)
black - white (signal)

The 2 white wires are for the heater and don't have a polarity.

All of this compiled information should provide someone with the answers they are seeking.

Quick Reply: CEL Code 43 ??? What could be wrong?