Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL after removing AFC

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL after removing AFC

So the wiring on my AFC setup wasn't the best... and I finally have Uberdata on a chipped P28 and they both have just been colliding with each other. So I finally removed the V-AFC2 and reconnected 3 wires that were interrupted by the AFC.

Here's the setup:

Stock D16Z6
450cc Injectors w/ resistor box (worked on previous motor setup, no problems here)
Chipped P28 w/ Uberdata

I have an Uberdata map scaled for the 450's... ran great with the AFC (had the AFC dialed to zero).

Pulled the AFC, and now a CEL comes on about 5-10 seconds after the CEL clears (it's pretty delayed). I tried to jump the service connector however it will not give me the CEL number.

Any recommendations on what to do? The car pulls great till redline and I'm pretty sure VTEC is activating.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL after removing AFC (Mario.)

ttt
Old 10-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who did your chip? Did you have any codes when the chip and the AFC were there? If yes, then bad chip. If no, reset the ecu and see if it throws another code. Make sure you put back all the wires good.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL after removing AFC (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who did your chip? Did you have any codes when the chip and the AFC were there? If yes, then bad chip. If no, reset the ecu and see if it throws another code. Make sure you put back all the wires good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did. I have my own chip burner. Well when I had the AFC and Uberdata together, I would get a CEL when I hit VTEC... but it went to redline ok. Then I moved VTEC on my Uberdata map to 7500rpm's and just let the AFC control VTEC. And now I removed the AFC, and changed the VTEC engagement back to 4200rpms on the Uberdata map.

I'll have someone else check over my wires I guess to make sure it's all ok.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont like uberdata, it never works correctly for me on any of my computers. I perfer crome, much easier and.... it works But anyway. Sounds like there was just a mixup that your computer was seeing. Try resetting the ecu and that should do it.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont like uberdata, it never works correctly for me on any of my computers. I perfer crome, much easier and.... it works But anyway. Sounds like there was just a mixup that your computer was seeing. Try resetting the ecu and that should do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is Crome free and if so do you have a link to the website? I don't mind trying something new I've always just used Uberdata as I usually haven't had any problems with it.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, Crome is the exact same as Hondata, but.... free Well minus pro. You need to pay to access pro, but you dont really need it unless you own a tune shop.

PGMFI.org has it. If you need help with it feel free to ask and ill help you out. Just PM, dont make a thread.

But im thinking your code might be the chip you did. Because when you cant pull the code its usually the chip. Try another ecu (virgin) and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks man I'll check it out.

And I can't try a stock ECU because I have the 450's.

Ooooh wait, I can just drop the stock ECU in to see if it gives me the code. Gotcha. I'll try it out now thanks!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow Crome is really nice! I think I'll use that from now on and I'll check it out more in-depth. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

Back to the problem -- I dropped the stock P28 in and still got the same thing.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Completely stock, like never been touched? Or you just pulled the chip to make it "stock"? Because that doesnt work.

hmm... you did reset the ecu correct? By disconnecting the batt.?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Just check all your connections. I was having the same problem when I used to have my old integra. When I checked the ecu wiring the guy who had it before me did a crappy wiring job when installing the vafc. I just went back and fixed all the wires that were jacked up and never had a problem after that.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Completely stock, like never been touched? Or you just pulled the chip to make it "stock"? Because that doesnt work.

hmm... you did reset the ecu correct? By disconnecting the batt.? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock as in never has been touched.

I didn't disconnect the battery I did however pull the ECU's out... I thought that would suffice?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:15 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock as in never has been touched.

I didn't disconnect the battery I did however pull the ECU's out... I thought that would suffice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea but i think there are two fuses you have to pull. The 7.5 amp ECU fuse and the 10 amp (I think) backup fuse. I usually just pull the ECU and wait 20 min or so.

I would check your wiring. Make sure the wires you reconnected are soldered, and taped well or even better, heat shrink. Make sure nothing it touching or pulled out of place... not being able to read the ECU code pretty much signals a bad ECU or chip. But since you tried a virgin one and you got the same results im betting something still isn't hooked up right.