Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL 43 (sometimes) Hard start / Bog & more

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL 43 (sometimes) Hard start / Bog & more

So ive been trying to figure this one out just searching through the forums b4 posting a question but no1 seems to list my exact issues. I saw one guy who was really on point with some the same issue but no1 responded to him -_-

I have a 98' ej8 and recently put in a 96' b18b1 engine with ls tranny running on a stock obd1 p75 ecu.
Upon my first start of the car with the new swap I realized the headgasket was blown so I replaced the headgasket with an oem headgasket, new arp head studs, and I got the head resurfaced. I got it running but its not perfect yet. I did the swap 2 weeks ago. and about twice a week (2/20 drives) ill get CEL 43 while cruising. In the low rpms (in all gears) below 2-3k it randomly bogs and picks up smoothly with power after that. And sometimes under heavy load it'll bog. (it bogs in 4th and 5th at WOT everytime though) I also have a weird idle...sometimes its fine but most times it will slowy rise to just about 1k then fall to around 300 & then go back to normal for a sec & the start to slowly climb down again. And it almost always struggles to start.

To combat this issue, Ive replaced the o2 sensor twice (once with a known good oem, and then with new bosch), new duralast fuel filter (even tho the one I had was a new oem filter changed 6 months ago), changed out the fuel injectors with known good ones, changed the spark plugs new ngk, new ngk spark wires, tried a known good dizzy.

Nothing above has came increased drivability.
I noticed my fuel injector # 3 was leaking from the o-ring, replaced the o-ring (which got ripped somehow) with a another one. Next day it was leaking again, this time I changed the whole injector with another known good injector. Next day it began leaking again. So I got a new AEM fuel rail, changed the o ring again and it hasn't leaked again since then. After I changed out the fuel rail it runs noticeably smoother but still has all the same issues mentioned above.

Today earlier another issue just started, after a 15min drive I turned off the car for about 10 min. Then when I went to start it, it just cranked and cranked and cranked, even with me giving it gas. Then I left the key to ON2, waited 2 seconds.. tried starting it again, and it made that horrible screeching noise (the same noise it makes if the car is already running and u mistakenly turn the key to ON3). I stopped.. left it in ON2, waited like 5 seconds. cranked it and it started up (but it struggled to start as if there was barely gas, but there was plently gas) made it home fine. the cel didn't turn on and it was still running as described above with the bogging and weird idle. I assumed main relay, I opened mine up to look at, everything looked fine tho. Luckily my brother also has an ej8 so I borrowed his main relay. Went for a 10 min drive. shut the car off, went to start and it did the same thing -_- it seems to only do it when the engine is warm and hasn't been sitting for too long. Also car backfires sometimes

Anybody have any suggestions, im really concerned now.. Sorry for the long post, im very detail orientated so I assume every little thing matters.

Just for the record, b4 the swap my d16y8 was running flawless (aside from some oil leaks)

Last edited by jay19; 02-03-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: CEL 43 (sometimes) Hard start / Bog & more

Measure the fuel pressure and test test the FPR.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried a known good FPR today, made no difference. Need to buy a fuel pressue guage still.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a few of your symptoms before.
On my old D16Y8, it would screech like crazy when I tried turning on the car. Turns out it was a bad starter (maybe that's why your car has trouble starting).

As for the CEL 43 and misfiring check this out: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...065&styleid=14

EDIT: Read post #10. It could be your cat that's F'd up
Old 02-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_ek_noob
I've had a few of your symptoms before.
On my old D16Y8, it would screech like crazy when I tried turning on the car. Turns out it was a bad starter (maybe that's why your car has trouble starting).

As for the CEL 43 and misfiring check this out: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...065&styleid=14

EDIT: Read post #10. It could be your cat that's F'd up
I read that thread before I decided to make this thread and much more. Still havent been able to pin point the issue.

I have no cat.

A bad starter would give me issues EVERYTIME or most times at least, I try to start the car. I only have issues starting the car when its already warm. Ive never had an issue starting the car from a cold start. And its not the main relay for sure, tried a known good main relay. Im gona change out the ECT sensor this weekend to see if that helps with the starting issue.

The only things that I can think of that it can possibly be are the ECU, fuel pump,or the timing is off (mechanical & ignition).

Can the timing being off by a tooth cause the problems I'm having?

Id rule out the fuel pump tho mostly cuz b4 the swap my fuel pump had no issues so i dont see y it would go bad after doing a swap.

And another note, Ive triple, quadruple checked for vacuum leaks so Id rule that out also.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump,

anyone have any other suggestions that i might be able to try?

Tested with a multimeter. All fuel injectors have good resistance and the fuel injector clips are all getting 12dcv.

Last edited by jay19; 02-05-2014 at 05:56 PM.