Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Caught some guys scoping out my car... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caught some guys scoping out my car... what to do?

So I was at my work today in, I am sitting there talking to somebody as i see a green trailblazer mid 90's pull into the parking lot across the street. Immediately I was confused because at the time we had no customers and there was no reason to use that parking lot especially since it's a bit of a walk. I then notice that they park right next to my car which is the only other car in the parking lot. These two younger (late teens to early 20s) mexican males step out, then one pops the hood. The other walks to the side of the car that my car is on and starts staring in my window, while the other is lifting the hood and not even looking at his engine bay but looking right at my car. This goes on for maybe ten seconds so I walk out there and start walking towards them, as i am doing so the other puts the hood down and walks to the side of the car and starts looking in with the other guy. The one notices me and immediately says "what are you looking at" so I just said "you guys got car troubles" by then they both got into the car and drove off. I didn't really get a good chance to get the license plate it was sort of blocked but I am about 75% sure it was ECM 2022 (ohio). What would you do if you were me, I am going to install an alarm asap. Right now I have two kill switches and always park the car with a garage door on front. fence on one side, car on the other side, and another car on the back. The car is 93 civic very clean since it was just painted and the previous owner put just about everything into it besides turbocharging it although it was at one time. I have good insurance and am covered for 6k which is 2k more than I paid so it wouldn't be too bad to get it stolen , but I love my car and would really hate to lose it. What are your ideas for what I should do
Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Caught some guys scoping out my car... what to do?

just get an alarm quick release and a hub lock
Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alarm ASAP! Read my Sig
Club
Tire boot
Hand gun
Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL @ not having an alarm.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I havent had the car that long and haven't driven it much

as far as alarms go is two way worth the extra cash, right now I am about to buy one and get a hood pin, backup battery and siren, and motion detector any other advice is appreciated sorry i know this probly shouldn't be in this section.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
LOL @ not having an alarm.
in all fairness I don't live in Cali Civics get stolen much less around here I see people parking built turbos all the time in the street over night and stuff like that although I am way to scared from this site to do that.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

watch it disappear
Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
These two younger (late teens to early 20s) mexican males step out
hey lookie there, now tell me WHO was surprised to see THAT? my point gets sharper everyday.

OP i would notify the police of suspicious activity and give a full description, not over the phone but in person to make sure they take the information down. Other than that get the alarm in and a GPS tracking device while you're at it just in case, don't let these dirty mother****ers take another one.

OR

+ Waiting = what they got coming to them.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
in all fairness I don't live in Cali Civics get stolen much less around here I see people parking built turbos all the time in the street over night and stuff like that although I am way to scared from this site to do that.
I dont care where you are how "often" cars get stolen there. Once your car gets stolen youre ****ed, regardless if theft is really low there.

And yes a 2 way is worth it, but get a Clifford. When I was working at a huge Brick & Mortar place, my friend had signal to his car outside and he was at least half a mile away. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

One thing to remember, is that the cost of the alarm has nothing to do with how safe your car will be. It all depends on the installation. So just get a legit 2 way with back up battery and TWO sirens (one inside the car, one under fender).

My alarm prevented my car from being broken into. Thieves couldnt find the siren and they tried disconnecting the battery but the back up battery kept it going. I still have my car to this day.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio

OP i would notify the police of suspicious activity and give a full description, not over the phone but in person to make sure they take the information down.
Seriously, what is that going to do??
"I saw two Mexicans with red t shirts and jeans scoping out my car". You swear the cops are going to drive around looking for Mexicans in red tee's. Even if they write it down, its going to go into their box with thousands of other reports. Just keep an eye out on your car.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay so you think i should notify the police well, actually the police come up to where i work all the time and I give them discounts all the time so I will talk to one when they come up some time. As far as tracking device, I tend to be sort of cheap, but here is what i was thinkin you can get those prepaid phones that you have to call a number to enabble, i could hide one really well and hook it up to a ac transformer wired into my car so it is always charged and then if my car gets stolen I could call and have it activated and get the police to track it. IDK just wondering if that would work.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

buy some gats!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yes a 2 way is worth it, but get a Clifford. When I was working at a huge Brick & Mortar place, my friend had signal to his car outside and he was at least half a mile away. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

One thing to remember, is that the cost of the alarm has nothing to do with how safe your car will be. It all depends on the installation. So just get a legit 2 way with back up battery and TWO sirens (one inside the car, one under fender).
thanks for the info i just ordered a two way alarm from clifford along with a hood and trunk pin, motion sensor and back up siren w/ backup battery should that be good or are there an other things I am missing. And yes I will make sure to do a good stealth install, i already have my hood cable rerun through the engine bay and some other little things like that. But i have been to lazy to get an alarm but now i have no excuse
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Florida and ive left my car running when i went into a Grocery store and i still have mine, I guess because theres not THAT many people in my town and im sure they wouldnt like what i gave them if i found them ****ing with my car.. Pistols prevent crimes, invest in a good one.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Setsuna F Seiei
buy some gats!
you know one of my neighbors who is a good friend has like 50 guns including assault rifles,tech 9's, grenade launchers etc I really don't know why. But i should see if i could borrow one.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Setsuna F Seiei
buy some gats!
X2 HAHA
Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously, what is that going to do??
"I saw two Mexicans with red t shirts and jeans scoping out my car". You swear the cops are going to drive around looking for Mexicans in red tee's. Even if they write it down, its going to go into their box with thousands of other reports. Just keep an eye out on your car.
It's good to have documented information, that's all. When my old Jetta was broken into they stole my CD player, shift **** and shift boot (how low do you have to be, really?) I TRIED to make a report and the cop told me "there was nothing he could really do" i was 16 at the time and didn't really know any better but nowadays that response from him would yield a "how about you do the ****ing job my tax dollars pay you to do." Yes, him taking a report that day may not have directly resulted in an arrest BUT my goal was to get documented information (there's those words again) so if he just so happened to get busted and had my Aiwa head unit in his possession (which i had the serial number from and had intended to put in the report) it would be one more charge to make sure the scum got more than just a slap on the wrist.

Side story about karma- I DID eventually find out who had broken into my car and that he had already sold my head unit to another kid, interestingly enough an electrical short (im assuming during the installation of my stolen head unit) caused his car to catch fire. I do have the kids name on my personal blacklist, as he has been branded for some interesting and creative type of payback.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Know i just have to hope nothing happens before i get my alarm installed although i would love for those guys to come back tomorrow one of the guys I am working with plays d1 college football on the d line. I have personally seen him knockout a 250lb guy with one punch seeing those scumbags come back would make my day.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheCivicMafia
I live in Florida and ive left my car running when i went into a Grocery store and i still have mine, I guess because theres not THAT many people in my town and im sure they wouldnt like what i gave them if i found them ****ing with my car.. Pistols prevent crimes, invest in a good one.
what a nice place you live in, only place i ever leave my car running is in my driveway or the atm

car thief's are everywhere, you never know when you'll run into one
Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Call immigration services.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great to see you ordered a Clifford 2-way. That is half the battle.

READ THE LINK IN MY SIG!

As stated before, proper installation of the alarm makes the difference. If you do not feel competent with the install than take it to a reputable security shop.

To the person that speaks of low car theft areas..... don't be naive.

EG Civics were the #1 stolen cars in America last year. I have put too much time and money into my car to give it to scum.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

club plus alarm plus your 2 switches.... your good to go... Im happy I live in canada and it's to cold for those dirt bags up here.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GrenadaEG2
X2 HAHA
HAHAHHA FAQ YEAH GET SUM GATS
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try that **** in So Cal, you'll be out of a car really fast...Trust me, if they want it, they will get it!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your lucky, try that in Tampa or Orlando freakin theives. The rate of Honda's being broken into and stolen here is just nuts. Recently finally other cars are getting stolen like SRT4 and stuff and not always a Civic or Integra. Even though my car isnt that nice I still worry about it. About $2500 in parts that you could actually take off or out of the car thats just aftermarket. Do the EX civics have an alarm system? I know they have a wireless remote for the doors and stuff which the prevoius owner lost so idk if it had an alarm button like the panic button or not? Sure you could buy a gun but if you dont see it happening the gun wont do you any good.

Quick Reply: Caught some guys scoping out my car... what to do?