Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter

Whats the best catalytic converter for a 1997 civic dx Hatcback with a obd2a 1998 Gsr swap? I have oem headers as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Catalytic converter

a straight pipe no cat just straight out nothing in it... ebay 30$ put a spark plug fouler on as well for your o2 sensor to keep it out of direct stream... essentialy it is like a metal condom that encloses the o2 sensor and pulls it out of the stream to keep it cooler and relate to the computer there is no higher volume of heat coming through your exast stream essentialy tricking it into thinking your running factory settings and thus keeping your light off also can be purchased on ebay for roughtly 15$
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by KidRuthless
Whats the best catalytic converter for a 1997 civic dx Hatcback with a obd2a 1998 Gsr swap? I have oem headers as well.
There really is no "best", I have a magnaflow highflow cat welded in after the header from my B16A. It passed emissions and has never thrown a code. I picked up the one for the same year as my car but the EX version, just had to weld it in.

Originally Posted by Swanky_things
a straight pipe no cat just straight out nothing in it... ebay 30$ put a spark plug fouler on as well for your o2 sensor to keep it out of direct stream... essentialy it is like a metal condom that encloses the o2 sensor and pulls it out of the stream to keep it cooler and relate to the computer there is no higher volume of heat coming through your exast stream essentialy tricking it into thinking your running factory settings and thus keeping your light off also can be purchased on ebay for roughtly 15$
I would just buy the cat in case you need to pass visual inspection, it is not robbing you of any HP.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

visual inspection don't matter because they are not removing the cat to see its internals they couldn't care less its and aftter market exaust and with thousands of aftermarket components especialy for a vehicle like a Honda who is to say it is not a performance cat as long as the ecu isn't tripping a light your fine although a little back pressure is good to have ... but spending money on a performance cat is a waste just get a straight pipe you get the most bang for your buck

the test pipe is thirty and your gona nut your self over the backfiring when you you get the rpms just right as opposed to a performance cat which youll spend at least 125 to 300 and youll barely notice a result

k.i.s.s.

keep
it
simple
stupid

ya know what I mean
Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

visual inspection don't matter because they are not removing the cat to see its internals they couldn't care less its and aftter market exaust and with thousands of aftermarket components especialy for a vehicle like a Honda who is to say it is not a performance cat as long as the ecu isn't tripping a light your fine although a little back pressure is good to have ... but spending money on a performance cat is a waste just get a straight pipe you get the most bang for your buck

the test pipe is thirty and your gona nut your self over the backfiring when you you get the rpms just right as opposed to a performance cat which youll spend at least 125 to 300 and youll barely notice a result

k.i.s.s.

keep
it
simple
stupid

ya know what I mean
You must be new here. Some states actually look to make sure it is in fact a Catalytic Converter. OP asked about CATs so I answered about CATs.

As far as back pressure I suggest you read this.

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ts-wrong-3064/
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

k.i.s.s.

keep
it
simple
stupid

ya know what I mean
The absolute only word in your entire incoherent ramble of what you seem to consider advice is "stupid". I'm not even going to waste my time trying to pick apart why literally everything you just said is wrong.

OP, get a bolt-in cat that fits your exhaust. Either get an OEM cat, or a Magnaflow. Test pipes won't give you a damn thing other than a louder exhaust. On top of that, they're illegal for use on public streets. Illegal. Period.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

who gives a **** about an extra pony or two when a lightly modified 2.0 t vdub can spank an non modified dual cam b series motor

Last edited by TomCat39; 03-27-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: flame removed
Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

doctor ake I read the link you provided and is pretty much my understanding of the topic.... so I don't know what your tryin to explain to me here im just trying to give my two cents of most fun for the bang
Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

H-T doesn't support illegal advise such as the use of straight pipes for daily driving use for all states.

H-T does support following emission standards for any region the poster is in.

OP I will see if I can find another direct bolt Cat option for you other than magnaflow that a user has been using for 10 years without issue. Might be a more cost effective option for you that has been tried and tested true for quite some time. I will get that to you later today.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM

You need to sit down, read, and comprehend a good bit more before you start posting. Seriously, you keep giving horrible advice, spreading complete misinformation, and encouraging people to do stupid and/or illegal things. This is a serious technical forum. We do serious technical advice to repair problems. Halfass work is not welcome here. Cheap "quick fixes" are not welcome here.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

who is to say my advise is illegal I don't know where this guy lives all states are completely different as are some counties in some states that are different from counties neighboring them... it is illegal to use recreational marijuana in this state and it is legal in Colorado I am stating basic facts from being inside the industry and knowing how general service facilities operate... now tell me how what I am saying is incorrect
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM

It's federally illegal. That means it's illegal everywhere within the U.S. You're wrong. Accept it and move on.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so I got tom cat shutting me down when not a racist is tellin me to sit down and read when I been around the shop game for 15 yrs so shut not a racist down because that last post wasn't a tech post just like you just told me about five minutes ago
Old 03-27-2014, 02:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so what are you gona do take every car on the street lift it up and see if their cats are dop approved cars with stand alones running large turbos old classic cars because they fall into a classic car class and thus bypass the todays laws with classic plates on ... so physicaly they put out more carbs but yet on paper theyre ok so who cares if you wanna cry about it just to be right then you win
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM

The legality of specific modifications is most certainly technical. If you want to see me being not technical, go ahead and take a trip over to GDD - you'll fit in perfectly. As I've already said, you need to stop posting and do a LOT more learning before you even begin to give anyone advice around here.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running straight pipe right now and have a check engine light for the secondary 02. So just keep the secondary 02 connected and cap it with the spark plug fouler? Nothing else?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
There really is no "best", I have a magnaflow highflow cat welded in after the header from my B16A. It passed emissions and has never thrown a code. I picked up the one for the same year as my car but the EX version, just had to weld it in.

I would just buy the cat in case you need to pass visual inspection, it is not robbing you of any HP.
Yea the dx models the converter is connected on the header unlike the ex which is after the header. Will I have any issues if I welded a ex cat inlet and outlet sizes to be specific?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
The absolute only word in your entire incoherent ramble of what you seem to consider advice is "stupid". I'm not even going to waste my time trying to pick apart why literally everything you just said is wrong.

OP, get a bolt-in cat that fits your exhaust. Either get an OEM cat, or a Magnaflow. Test pipes won't give you a damn thing other than a louder exhaust. On top of that, they're illegal for use on public streets. Illegal. Period.
I agree with the cheap fixes lol but oem cat will not work with my gsr swap because the dx CAT is connected to the header. So would a EX magna flow be better in my case?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Im running straight pipe right now and have a check engine light for the secondary 02. So just keep the secondary 02 connected and cap it with the spark plug fouler? Nothing else?
Eh, tiny bit more complicated than that, but basically you just install the defouler between the O2 sensor and the cat.

Yea the dx models the converter is connected on the header unlike the ex which is after the header. Will I have any issues if I welded a ex cat inlet and outlet sizes to be specific?
If you convert to an EX-style exhaust (including all B series exhausts), you'll just need the header, and an EX cat. You shouldn't need to weld anything - it should just be a bolt-on affair. The only modification you'll need to make is for the secondary O2 sensor wiring. You'll either need to extend the wiring yourself (fairly simple, just cutting, soldering, and heat shrinking four wires), or buy an extension harness. Extension harnesses can be found on eBay for $20-$30, if you aren't comfortable with (or don't own) a soldering iron.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
or buy an extension harness. Extension harnesses can be found on eBay for $20-$30, if you aren't comfortable with (or don't own) a soldering iron.
Or you can make your own extension harness if you go to the junk yards and rip out some of the engine wire harness for one side of the O2 sensor plug, and then cut the wire and plug off the o2 sensor. Then get some automotive wire and do some soldering and shrink wrapping ( I just electrical taped it myself ). Then you have the proper plugs for both sides and can put your O2 sensor anywhere. I think my total cost was about 12 bucks after taxes due to the spool of auto wire.

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
random technology makes a great OEM bolt in replacement. ive had mine for 10 plus years and still no problems...randomtechnology.com
Took a little digging but that's the name of another company that makes quality direct fit hi flow cats.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 for random technology, i had one on my swapped prelude. worth the money.