Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A cars life, a mans head ache, help wanted?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A cars life, a mans head ache, help wanted?

So I purchase a 97 civic ex from a friend of my fathers for $300. Now ive flipped about 10 cars in the last couple of years just like this. He told me that his son ran the car out of oil and the engine is blow. Well that was the farthest from the truth. so far ive swapped engines (all the exhaust valves were blown) so I swapped the head with the original, the car ran beautifully.

Next none of the windows were working, so I bought a few switches, and a window motor. none of which were the problems. Both harnesses were F-ed up, so I rewired both damn doors. Also the gauge cluster was all kinds of messed so I bought another one and fixed that problem as well.

After I was reeling and thinking I was a bad *** I started up the car after it was all cleaned up and put back together the car was running and just turned off. So the problem was the engine wasnt getting any spark. so I swapped 3 dizzys none of which worked. I checked to see if the rockers were rocking and they werent. I found out that the cam gear key had busted off. So I start digging into it again, I throw on another cam gear, start the car up and it was waking a slight whinning shound, then the car stops. I remove the oil cap and there is smoke billowing out of the VC. I take off the VC and found out the cam had broke in half.

Only thing I can think of is the oil pump isnt sending oil to the head, or the cam journals are bad. Or the car is jinx'd. any suggestions????????
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A cars life, a mans head ache, help wanted?

Its pretty possible you bent a few valves when the cam gear come loose and the cam broke. You can pull the vc off and while cranking see if any oil reaches the head. I wouldnt crank it long just enough to take a look. If u have oil flow throw that head in the bottom of a river and put a fresh one on it. Just imo....
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: A cars life, a mans head ache, help wanted?

Thread titles MUST summarize the tech problem so that members browsing titles can easily understand the problem without reading the post.