Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carbon Fiber or Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:59 PM
RacerSi

Default Carbon Fiber or Stock?

I have the chance to get a new stock hood or a fiber images carbon fiber hood. They both cost about the same so I wanna hear your opinions.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Jer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (RacerSi)

if you are going to get an oem hood, why not consider getting a fiberglass hood and paint it the color of your car? weight reduction with no attention.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:02 PM

OEM hood out of the 2 choices, ur in LA man, mad attention with a carbon fiber hood...
Old 12-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uranazo)

If he drives a civic that is i nthe very least lower'd (let alone has wheels) then its drawing attention esp. in Cali.

Get carbon fiber hood. They'll steal your car regardless if it did or didn't have one anyway.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:06 PM
RacerSi

Default Re: (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If he drives a civic that is i nthe very least lower'd (let alone has wheels) then its drawing attention esp. in Cali.

Get carbon fiber hood. They'll steal your car regardless if it did or didn't have one anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its pretty damn hard to steal my car. First off I have a clifford pager alarm, autolock, the club to scare thieves off, one fuel pump kill switch the other is a electronic kill switch and there both in a place that is very hard to get too . FYI
Old 12-29-2003, 04:06 PM
RacerSi

Default Re: (RacerSi)

Well they could always tow it so im fudged oh well
Old 12-29-2003, 04:15 PM

definitely stock, atleast it will always fit, no attention magnet. I am sure saving a few lbs don't do anything.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Jer

Default Re: (devine wind)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devine wind &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">definitely stock, atleast it will always fit, no attention magnet. I am sure saving a few lbs don't do anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

weight reduction dose do something, everything you take out adds up.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:33 PM

CF is the way to go
Old 12-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SilverStyle)

CF replace my dent stocker
Old 12-29-2003, 05:14 PM

normally i would say carbon hood, but in LA is near where i live. i had 3 different friends cars stolen in LA. two lived there and the other was visiting. just my opinion. good luck on your decision.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fiber Images is the best, if you can get it for a good price go for it.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its pretty damn hard to steal my car. First off I have a clifford pager alarm, autolock, the club to scare thieves off, one fuel pump kill switch the other is a electronic kill switch and there both in a place that is very hard to get too . FYI</TD></TR></TABLE>

Point i was trying to make is that if you modify your car according to how much attention it'll get then you'll leave it stock exteriror wise. If you have wheels (Rota's included and GSR or SI wheels on older civics aren't fooling anyone....neither is HX wheels), an exhaust (I don't care if its a ES oval) and if your car is even a 1mm lower then stock....then you my friend are drawing attention to yourself.

To all that made the case for a stock or stock looking hood. If you have none of these mods...and you car is bone stock exterior wise by choice then by all means make the case for a stock or stock looking hood (This includes painting a carbon fiber hood or getting a fiberglass one).

To all that have even the smallest exterior mod....you are all hypocrites. Its a civic....and if it'll get stolen, a few carbon fiber pieces on your car won't deter a thief.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:24 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straying away from the CF-hater posts, it's hard to determine if a CF hood or a stock hood will "look better" on your car unless you posted up pictures of it. And even then, everyone will have their own opinions on it (thus, either CF lovers or CF haters). I always say that it depends on what wheels you have, what front bumper lip, what mirrors, how your car sits (lowered) and if you have a rear duckbill or whatever wing (for hatchbacks), but then again going back to what I said, everyone will have their own opinions on what they prefer and what they consider "clean"

Old 12-29-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (Newman)

since my car is garage d most of the time i would nt nearly worry so much about theif than the ******* s that d just vandalize it for the sake of fuking something nice

but if u have no fear of either..go for the CF
Old 12-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (deepnite)

if cost is the same, get the cf and paint it.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (deepnite)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deepnite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">since my car is garage d most of the time i would nt nearly worry so much about theif than the ******* s that d just vandalize it for the sake of fuking something nice

but if u have no fear of either..go for the CF</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know this isn't English class, but for God sakes, learn to type man. You're not making any sense
Old 12-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (lax1185)

I'd go for the CF hood, you can always paint that if you'd rather not have the attention it attracts, and you'd have a colored hood with the weight reduction. Or just get a fiberglass hood if your just wanting weight reduction, not sure how much those cost in comparison to CF though.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (BucsJosh)

i would get the fiber images hood less weight and you can always just paint it
Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (RedLine_Performance)

I got a painted OEM style VIS CF hood. I am not a fan of the CF looks, (or maybe I am just not jay-dee-em enuff, y0).
Old 12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (Unit 01)

Because you know carbon fiber is synonymous with Gay-DM.

Painting a carbon fiber hood is useless. Just get a fiberglasshood since you're gonna paint....MHO.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because you know carbon fiber is synonymous with Gay-DM.

Painting a carbon fiber hood is useless. Just get a fiberglasshood since you're gonna paint....MHO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. Good call, for what it costs to buy a CF hood you could have bought and had a Fiberglass hood painted.

EDIT: Anybody know how much a fiberglass hood weighs *Rodney's for example*.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (Ricey McRicerton)

i'd go carbon fiber hood if i were you. weight is a good factor.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (handa)

CF
Old 12-30-2003, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber or Stock? (B18C1_Civic_EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Point i was trying to make is that if you modify your car according to how much attention it'll get then you'll leave it stock exteriror wise. If you have wheels (Rota's included and GSR or SI wheels on older civics aren't fooling anyone....neither is HX wheels), an exhaust (I don't care if its a ES oval) and if your car is even a 1mm lower then stock....then you my friend are drawing attention to yourself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah... so true.. everyone thinks they've got a "sleeper" when their car probably actually gets more attention from theives then the kid with altezzas and a fart can.

anyways..

personally i think unpainted cf stuff on any car but black looks like ***. oooh its carbon fiber... who cares. sure it weighs less and is stronger, but i think cf is all about the bling. a painted fiberglass piece is the only way to go if your gonna upgrade your hood.

http://www.mmrusa.com/fg.htm 215 bucks for the hood, 150 for the skin. you'll need hood pins and paint as well. weight is 9-10lbs, fitment and durability isn't as good as cf, but who cares about that. just paint it good and go faster with more cash in your wallet

Modified by jwn7 at 6:17 AM 12/30/2003

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber or Stock?