Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carbon fiber or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber or not?

I'm looking into getting a carbon fiber hood for my 92 hatchback but I see alot of people selling their cf hoods? Is there something I'm missing? Are thy not worth it or what? My hood now is dented and bent a little, I'm just curious why a lot of people sell em?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Carbon fiber or not?

Not. The clearcoat oxidizes or flakes off. Some cheaper one turn yellow. Fitment is an issue as well. I'll never do CF on the exterior of any car I own again.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Not. The clearcoat oxidizes or flakes off. Some cheaper one turn yellow. Fitment is an issue as well. I'll never do CF on the exterior of any car I own again.
High Quality pieces should be devoid of the issues you listed. My Seibon hood lasted for years in the elements and looked as good as new when I sold it. Of course, I kept it waxed and I don't beat up my parts.

That being said, I'll also never put any CF parts on my cars again.

My old EM1 with CF hood, lip, foglight covers, and trunk too.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as it's a major brand of hood as 2lem1 said. My VIS have held up well for the last 4 years, and is only just now starting to show some wear around the edges. The main body of the cf is still in great shape. I don't wax mine though, I just keep it as clean as possible as regularly as possible, and keep it out of the sun as much as I can.

I'd do it again considering how much the stock hood and trunk on the del Sol weigh.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to mention I live in the Phoenix area, so the carbon fiber would take a severe beating out here, today isn't bad, only 101°

But more than likely I'll just get an oem replacement for the one I have now, thanks for the input guys!!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn 101 I'm going to phoenix tomorrow.... But i have a carbon fiber top on my sol and it turned yellow and thefiber is starting to show... As said its not pretty for outside but also mine came with the top when I bought it so idk how old it is
Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have alot of it on my ctr such as hood,grill,baseplate for wing, and air bag delete. I also live in the desert where it gets hot, with that being said I have to agree with the posts above, I won't be putting anymore cf on my car again
Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As with anything, there are two types of driving. Either daily driving, or track use.

For daily driving, CF is purely bling factor. It's harder to maintain than painted sheet metal, and more expensive to repair if, say, a heavy rock hits it. Painted sheet metal dents, paint chips, CF breaks. I personally thing CF has fallen into the label of "rice", which people are trying to get out of, thus what you've seen of people selling their CF pieces.

For track use, CF is lighter. It can make your car lighter, giving you shorter lap times, but better tires will do more for times than CF will. It's one of those "ok, I've done absolutely everything else allowed in my class, how else can I go faster?" kinds of things.

Personally, I love CF, but I prefer it to be painted. I'll be putting as many CF pieces on my car as I can, but I'll be spending money maxing out the motor first.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in vegas and i had my cf ViS hood for about 5 years but i always used wax and spray wax (on entire car) and when i sold it last year still looked as good as new, can't say the same for a friend of mine who bought a no name cf hood from a local shop within a few months it started turning a yellow/gold-ish shade and the fitment was'nt so good