Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock

Okay. I know this site has many members, a lot with great knowledge. So many people know the little intricacies of each year/model. This is one not many may know about.

1996 and 1997 3-Door EKs have a interior tailgate/hatch release on the floor with the fuel door release (much like a coupe or sedan would have).

1998-2000 3-Door EKs have an exterior handle located on the underside of the license plate ganish, between the license plate lights.

I don't know the statistics here. I don't know how many EK owners have bought a carbon fiber hatch. I also don't know how many different brands make them. Currently, I know of VIS and possibly Seibon?

So, onto the question...

Do they make two versions for the two variations in the OEM hatch? I've never seen these advertised in two versions, or specify the years. Maybe you're asking me what this has to do with the variations I mentioned earlier...

I own a 1999, I've inspected one or two 1996-1997s and compared the differences between the parts and their arragement on the hatch and body. I also work at Honda in the parts department and have compared the different diagrams as to which parts are different.

1996-1997:
http://slhondaparts.com/images...5.jpg

1998-2000:
http://slhondaparts.com/images...6.jpg

Onto the reason I'm even asking...

1. I wanted to convert to the 1996-1997 setup, using the interior release handle. I am not yet sure if I can pull it off easily or not.

2. If I go to buy one of these someday, I want to be sure it will work with whatever setup that I have.

Does anyone have any background with this?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (RareSI)

why do you want to convert? It seems to me that the carbon fiber will just be a skin, but if you did want to change to the 96,97 it looks like the trickiest part would be routing the second cable(by second I mean second to the gas door). Why not call or email the carbon fiber company for installation instructions to see if any modification will be necessary.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (dogfood)

I just was looking for the convience of the inner release, although I'm sure that Honda changed it in 98 for security reasons.

I'm not so sure that when buying a carbon fiber hatch, that you're getting just a skin. I was under the impression it was a entire replacement hatch / tailgate.

As shown on Seibon's site:

As shown on PasswordJDM:

"EK hatchback carbon fiber rear glass hatch assembly, NO SPOILER. Made by ViS."

Upon some investigating I found this from ViS's site:

"Carbon Fiber Hatch is made after the DX model. If you have a CX model Civic, modifications are required."

Although, this has nothing to do with the latch setup between the years. This is in regards to the rear wiper. A DX is equipt with one, whereas the CX is not.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (RareSI)

Bump.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

werd ionno what skin hes talking about, VIS and seibon sells the entire hatch in CF no CF overlay bs, point is to reduce weight not add weight 1quikgsr has the VIS one and had issues with the actual lock not lining up with the other piece on the hatch so he had to weld an extension so the lock can grab on to that instead.
as far as the 2 variations of locking mechanism you mentioned i was thinking the aftermarket hatches would be universal, perhaps you can apply the interior release cable to it if you have a 96-97, or if you have a 98-00 then it isnt necessary?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My VIS hatch bolted up no problem. You just have to drill holes for the wiring, spoiler, bumpstops etc. Also there is no provision to mount the liscense plate lights. You have to fab up a panel or rig it somehow

VIS
Old 08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (BrokeAssPinoy)

^^ Bump.. i need confirmation too.

PLUS... i want to know which brand is the BEST out there in regards to quality and fitment.

Some ballers wanna let us know whats up?

SO far.. VIS has latch problems. Can someone confirm this? What about Seibon's latch and fitment?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a_kaibigan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_kaibigan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My VIS hatch bolted up no problem. You just have to drill holes for the wiring, spoiler, bumpstops etc. Also there is no provision to mount the liscense plate lights. You have to fab up a panel or rig it somehow

VIS </TD></TR></TABLE>

Car looks tight dude!

But let me ask you a few questions.

1. If there are no provisions for the license plate lights, how might one go about installing them? Cutting out a section to fit it like OEM?

2. What year is your hatch, and what did you have to do with your latch/lock and stuff if anything to get it to fit right?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump.

Looking for some answers.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (SeaLevel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaLevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ Bump.. i need confirmation too.

PLUS... i want to know which brand is the BEST out there in regards to quality and fitment.

Some ballers wanna let us know whats up?

SO far.. VIS has latch problems. Can someone confirm this? What about Seibon's latch and fitment?</TD></TR></TABLE>
with VIS it's like a hit or miss thing, soemtimes you get hatches/hoods, etc that fit real good sometimes you get some wack *** grade a wannabe product, https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1161781 for 1quikgsr's installation on it. If you have money backyard special makes them with an acrylic window for over 1000, I've always heard good things about seibon

Modified by BrokeAssPinoy at 1:52 PM 8/18/2005
Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Do you know if the EG6 hatch have that problem too?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (BrokeAssPinoy)

by skin I meant shell. just the outer shell, not an assembly. Like someone mentioned, an aftermarket piece is usually universal.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a ViS one had no problem with it ,just have to drill holes for wiring,wing and the shocks that hold up the hatch if you want.but since you 99 hatch might want to use 96-98 latch
Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock (jorgie583)

Bump for a status update? I am trying to do this on my 98 and the Hatch doesnt work with my latch/lock. It is a Seibon Hatch...

I will call them tomorrow I suppose....
Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (RareSI)

i am probly bringing this back from the dead. but has anyone ever retrofitted there 99 latch system to the 96-98 cf hatch?
is there a 99-00 cf hatch available ?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hatch for EK .. Questions concerning latch/lock

I know I’m bringing back an old one, but has anyone since the last post found any remedies for a Seibon carbon fiber hatch for a 99-00 civic? I just mounted mine and the latch holes don’t line up, the rear hatch handle doesn’t match up, pretty disappointed with the fitament for what you pay. Do I need to source a 96-98 hatch assembly and rob it? 99-00 hb didn’t come with a hatch release near the gas lid release.