Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carbon Fiber AC Vent Blockoffs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber AC Vent Blockoffs

Anyone made them before or had them made? Want to make me some? Before you say do it yourself, well I tried and they looked like ****.

Help appreciated.

I am not interested in your opinion of whether or not you like carbon fiber ac vent blockoff plates!! If you don't have any useful info to add don't post please!!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber AC Vent Blockoffs (909edge)

Why did the ones you tried to make come out so bad?

What I'd suggest doing:
Remove the vents.
Lay down fiberglass over them as a template.
Use that template to lay CF in.
Use the CF covers.

You getting rid of your air completely? I hope to god this is a track car.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber AC Vent Blockoffs (Ricey McRicerton)

yeah its a track car. I made cardboard templates and tried to cut the carbon fiber to match from a solid CF piece. it looked shitty. i don't have time to figure out how to lay the stuff, I work alot. I'd rather just pay for them.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:25 PM

bump
Old 10-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909edge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah its a track car. I made cardboard templates and tried to cut the carbon fiber to match from a solid CF piece. it looked shitty. i don't have time to figure out how to lay the stuff, I work alot. I'd rather just pay for them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dont you have to have a mold? I didnt know you can Cut Carbon fiber, unless it is still a sheet.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber AC Vent Blockoffs (sohcvtec1995)

yeah i just bought a sheet and tried to cut them out. it didn't work very well.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just read a "how to" in making cf parts.... guy made a cf dash, and other parts by himself
let me look

Originally Posted by BoostedBoogie
ok guys this is for you OT. there will be more installments of tutorials that will get a lot more advanced. this tutorial is as basic as the hobby gets. there are easier methods than this, but they don't turn out with a glossy finish. anyways, enjoy OT.

what we're going to be working with here is a front fender from my pocketbike. you can use anything you want to practice, all you need is a good mold of the piece (made from fiberglass or the underside of the piece depending on shape). here is the checklist of what you'll need and where you can purchase these parts:
- disposable brushes (home depot. note i said DISPOSABLE. once used, you will have to trash from the hardened resin and there is NO way to get this off before it dries)
- disposable gloves (you can get a box of 100 for $4 from icancomposites.com)
- carbon fiber (any type is fine. the best prices and fastest shipping i've ever experienced: icancomposites.com)
- epoxy or polyester resin (uscomposites.com. i use their surfboard polyester resin. it's blue, but dries clear. i also recommend picking up some of their surfacing wax which is optional, but makes sanding the resin so much easier.)
- blue wax mold release (you can get this from icancomposites.com, but you can use any car wax and/or release agent. the mold release is very crucial to getting your parts apart from the mold)
- clearcoat or spray gelcoat (optional)

ok here's the process. get your parts together that you need (brushes, resin, mold release, the part you will be replicating, and the carbon fiber)

1. what you want to do first is pour resin into a plastic container. 2-3 oz. is good for a project like this. why do this first? there will be bubbles in the resin and you want the room temperature to let them rise and pop. i know it looks blue, but trust me it dries clear.

2. next get your mold release and start brushing it on the inside of the mold. let this dry and wipe off, then repeat 2 more times and wipe it off CLEAN. if you don't wipe it well, you will see leftover wax in the finished part.

3. at this point, you can add the hardener to the resin. after, use your brush and brush on the mixed resin onto the inside of the mold (just above the mold release that you applied)

4. let that resin get tacky (about 1 minute at the most) and then you can now lay your fabric. this part must require delicacy and precision. be careful, any corner can easily snag and destroy the weave of the carbon fiber.

5. next step is to smooth everything out w/ your brush and brush more resin over this fabric that you just layed. continue to massage the fabric into the resin. once that's done, let the piece cure. (you'll notice a puddle of resin forming at the bottom. you want to try to avoid this by constantly brushing the resin around until it gets tacky and dense)

at this point, curing should take about a day or two before removing the part from the mold. if you don't let the part fully cure, the part can flex and distort, causing it to warp. here are a few examples of carbon fiber gone bad:

this image shows a part removed from the mold to early. it begins to flex and bend on it's own.

in this image, you'll notice holes in the finished part. this can be caused from not adding enough resin, resulting in the piece not fully smooth. you can avoid this by adding a 'fisheye additive' which makes the resin less dense and less viscosity, which makes the resin more watery. this lets the resin penetrate more of the carbon fiber. another fix is to add a drop of resin in each hole, then sand it smooth.

finally, when you remove the part, it should be pretty smooth already, but if you need to, you can sand down the resin just like fiberglass or wood and then polish it up, wax, clearcoat, etc whatever yo uwant to do. from here all you need to do is trim up the part with a dremel tool.