Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber

So i ordered this VIS big vent hood, and im worried that when i intall it and it rains, my engine will get F***** excuse my language....anyone have one of these and have anything positive to say?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber (userdead626)

Its a red x man.

I dont really think the water will kill your engine..... i would worry more about it getting into your intake..... that will **** your engine.

PS.... were all grown ups here, its ok to say ****
Old 10-20-2004, 06:22 PM

it's a big x, any ways my brother has a vis hood for his gsr and it has a vent in it, and it doesn't get into the motor when it rains
Old 10-20-2004, 06:38 PM

I'd only worry if you had a turbo filter somewhere near the vent. Other than that, you'd probably only see steam coming from there when the rain hits your exhaust manifold. And ehhh.. depending on the temps, which may lead to cracking of the header. Oh, and not to mention rust.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM

I would think the opening will lead the water onto your header most of the time, and some splash onto the spark plug wires. If you have a short ram, make a heat shield and it might block some water from getting into that direction.

As you know, rain drop on the hood will travel towards windshield when traveling at high speed, and the engine heat will vapourize water on it (for a metal hood, I don't know how CF would react to heat). When the car is staionary, water will run into the opening. Then again, it depends on how heavy the rain is. Unless you are expecting 100 year storm, I think it could be manageable.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (Luserkid)

never read the rules on the fourms, rather safe than sorry. But yeah my intake is not near the vent, but there something resembling the O2 sensor that plugs into the headers, and thats about all that i can think would get weat, think thats ok?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:12 PM

ya i think that will be alright
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (97hatchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a big x, any ways my brother has a vis hood for his gsr and it has a vent in it, and it doesn't get into the motor when it rains</TD></TR></TABLE> my brothers hood is just like that one but it's fit for a gsr and it doesn't get rain in the motor or in the intake
Old 10-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im pretty sure you would only have to be worried when you are stopped. The design of the vent should create some sort of venturi effect and "suck" the air out of your engine bay while you are moving. I don't think much water could get in while moving at this point.
Although it could just be designed to look "cool". If thats the case it will get water to the engine bay regardless. I still don't think there will be any problems as long as water doesn't get in the intake.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (Nick97hatch)

there will not be any problems because if oyu look at other cars with vents mainly such as an evo which has it right over the engine it doesnt have any problem, also i have an evo hood on my car and i havent had any problems ever.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (Soccerking3000)

Does rain pouring down on ur super-hot exhaust manifold cause any problems? Like screwing the operating temperatures? Or causing contraction/expansion of the exhaust manifold?

Or maybe it helps by cooling down the engine bay?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Electrician

Super-hot metals mixed with nice ambient water can call for warpage and/or cracking. Not to mention rusted items.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get an OEM one. You will have to detail your bay alot with the vented one. Trust me, this is from experience.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i ahve a hood liek yours but on an an eg and its fine in teh rain adn it helps teh heat excape from teh hood kinda of ricey but it helps
Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (ImportRacr05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportRacr05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get an OEM one. You will have to detail your bay alot with the vented one. Trust me, this is from experience.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was going to say. my cf hood will be the stock style hood.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:00 PM

I have an OEM-style cf hood, because I think it looks better and also keeps the rain out. I know a guy who got a vented hood for his civic, and he rigged up some aluminum from siding materials to create a sort of pan that lets the water drip down behind the radiator, into the empty space where there are no parts except for the insulated coolant hoses. While moving, the rain goes over the hood and over the car like indicated before. You can rig up a custom setup like this guy has.

I wish I had pics to show you! He also installed mesh grilles so that leaves and other debris wouldn't fall in the engine compartment either...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree w/ everyone here, its not worth the looks, and just wondering.. will it really help to drag hot air outa there? at least thats what the purpose of it seems like to me, go oem style
Old 10-21-2004, 12:40 AM

yeah I know for a fact that **** won't F it up, I run like that all day long and raining like hell out here. (right now) you'll be alright
Old 10-21-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (civtegra_hybrid)

I was just thinking last night about hood scoops and such. There are a few companies that have stock hood scoops, including Subaru and Chevy. They are real holes (unlike the Ford Mustangs ) and water goes through easily. The water evaporates pretty much instantaneously if it's hitting a hot surface, so I don't understand how water hitting an engine that's just sitting there will do anything. Also, if you're wondering about water coming in through the top of your hood, I hope you realize that your car isn't sealed. The hood does not have weatherstripping insulating it from the world, and the bottom/grille of your car is open to the elements. I'm sure moisture condenses on your engine just like how it condenses on glass and metal overnight. The only concern I would have is extra water getting in to rust parts like screws and mounts that rust very easily (anyone that owns a car should learn to hate rust and prevent it as much as possible!).

If your engine overheats, you can pour water on it to cool it down. It's not like you're taking a hot engine and totally submerging it in a pool of ice-cold water. If you're that concerned about wetness, leave your car in a garage until the sun comes out and drive with the Ferrari and Lamborghini owners .
Old 10-21-2004, 05:45 PM

Rust don't form overnight, certainly won't happen from a few drops of water. Being a Canadian with winter salt and all that crap, I say no worries to these waters. Like what smores said, water will get from underneath regardless.

Sometimes, you can't baby the car too much.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think a CF stock lookin hood looks better than a vented one.... Just my opinion
Old 10-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (TurboTagTeam)

haha i realized that too but its too late and ive allready bought this vented **** and im not repeating this 100+ dollar shipping deal, so ill haveta deal with it, but itl look nicer than stock i figure
Old 10-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rain might collect in the valve cover area? imo. Dont see the pic though.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (probinator)

i had that hood and had no issues with water getting in.. i live in seattle too....
Old 10-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Economic Upturn, WUT

Default Re: Carbon Fiber (Luserkid)

thats what happens when you buy reverse cowl hoods . Send it back for a straight up CF hood.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber