Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Carb gas tank question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb gas tank question

Sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching and coudn't find anything
I have a EG Civic Hatch 1.5 twin carb and I'm busy putting in a B20B engine, would the existing fuel pump work and if not can a '99 b16a fuel pump fit in that tank?
I've been told I might have to remove the whole fuel tank and replace it with one from a FI model.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 11:22 PM

i would try looking for a walbro intank for your particular model.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sr20hardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sr20hardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would try looking for a walbro intank for your particular model.</TD></TR></TABLE>

of cause I plan to at a later stage but right now the plan is to get the car driving, the motor is a stock B20B non vtec so I just need to know if the B16a fuel pump will fit in that tank?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:40 PM

well not 100% sure but most of all these honda fuel pumps look the same.

by the way i wasnt aware that eg's came with carb'd engines what model is that?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Carb gas tank question (Apexi22)

Just a heads up to anyone who might take part in this thread:

The OP is from Cape Town, Western Cape, which is a province in South Africa.

Yes, '92-'95 Civics in South Africa sometimes had carbureted engines.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apexi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching and coudn't find anything
I have a EG Civic Hatch 1.5 twin carb and I'm busy putting in a B20B engine, would the existing fuel pump work and if not can a '99 b16a fuel pump fit in that tank?
I've been told I might have to remove the whole fuel tank and replace it with one from a FI model.
Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
Apexi22, most of the members here are in the US and won't know much about Civics with carbs since US models didn't have them that late.

A carb fuel pump will not work for a fuel injected engine. Fuel injexted engines need higher fuel pressure than carb engines.

I'm not sure if the '99 fuel pump will fit, but you will probably be looking forward to some wiring. Perhaps there is a fuel pump from a '92-'95 fuel injected Civic you could use? The fuel pump can be from a model that uses a SOHC engine.

You might also want to look into replacing your fuel lines since they will need to hold up to more pressure. I'm not sure if Honda used different lines on carb veihcles.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 PM

ok just checked it'll fit! all 92-00 use the same style pump but like explained above there might be some wiring involved.

but then again this was stated for all fuel injected models hmmm
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carb gas tank question (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a heads up to anyone who might take part in this thread:

The OP is from Cape Town, Western Cape, which is a province in South Africa.

Yes, '92-'95 Civics in South Africa sometimes had carbureted engines.

Apexi22, most of the members here are in the US and won't know much about Civics with carbs since US models didn't have them that late.

A carb fuel pump will not work for a fuel injected engine. Fuel injexted engines need higher fuel pressure than carb engines.

I'm not sure if the '99 fuel pump will fit, but you will probably be looking forward to some wiring. Perhaps there is a fuel pump from a '92-'95 fuel injected Civic you could use? The fuel pump can be from a model that uses a SOHC engine.

You might also want to look into replacing your fuel lines since they will need to hold up to more pressure. I'm not sure if Honda used different lines on carb veihcles.

Hope this helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The OP??? What's a OP?
Anyway my car is a JDM import with a D15B3 Twin Carb engine. SOHC VTEC and Twin carb engines as well as EG Hatches were never sold in South Africa
I'm lucky to have one of only a few legally registered ones here.

Ok cool so my best bet is to get a FI gas tank then. Ok now just one more question,
will a 4 door Sedan EG fuel tank fit a EG hatch body??? cause thats all we have here.
EG sedans came in 150(d15) carb, 150i(d15 non vtec), 160i(D16 non vtec) and 180E(b18B)
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apexi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The OP??? What's a OP?
Anyway my car is a JDM import with a D15B3 Twin Carb engine. SOHC VTEC and Twin carb engines as well as EG Hatches were never sold in South Africa
I'm lucky to have one of only a few legally registered ones here.

Ok cool so my best bet is to get a FI gas tank then. Ok now just one more question,
will a 4 door Sedan EG fuel tank fit a EG hatch body??? cause thats all we have here.
EG sedans came in 150(d15) carb, 150i(d15 non vtec), 160i(D16 non vtec) and 180E(b18B)</TD></TR></TABLE>
OP means "original poster" or "original post".

The information I have shows south America having carbureted Civics available that late, though I can't recall if I was looking up hatchbacks in particular.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carb gas tank question (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
OP means "original poster" or "original post".

The information I have shows south America having carbureted Civics available that late, though I can't recall if I was looking up hatchbacks in particular.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohhhh ok cool thanks buddy
Far as I know this stupid twin carb engine was only available in the EG Hatch and the CRX
Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apexi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ohhhh ok cool thanks buddy
Far as I know this stupid twin carb engine was only available in the EG Hatch and the CRX </TD></TR></TABLE>

i belive they had a manual fuel pump on the head, so you'll need a block off plate. you can probably find one off of one of those "jdm engine importers" for cheap.

i think the ecu's might also be different

new lines, and pump probably a tank at most.

id get the tank that you can get for now, comapre them if they dont swap over just do the necessary modifications to the coupe tank using the FI sedan tank parts.

worst case scenario you have an extra tank
Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Carb gas tank question (i drive a honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i belive they had a manual fuel pump on the head, so you'll need a block off plate. you can probably find one off of one of those "jdm engine importers" for cheap.

i think the ecu's might also be different

new lines, and pump probably a tank at most.

id get the tank that you can get for now, comapre them if they dont swap over just do the necessary modifications to the coupe tank using the FI sedan tank parts.

worst case scenario you have an extra tank </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks dude think I'm gonna do that
Yeah I know about the ECU thats why i got a VTEC ECU and Wiring loom(think you guys call it a harness?)
Thanks again