Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wouldnt start jump started it and died again

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wouldnt start jump started it and died again

Ok so I'm not sure whats going on. I haven't been driving my em1 it's been awhile now but from time to time I start it. Yesterday I woke up and noticed my car wouldn't start so I jumped started it and let it run for like 5-10 mins then turned it off. Woke up this morning and my car died again. Recently I took my subs and amp out of my car decided it was about time to take it out since it wasn't necessary to have it anymore it's a civic not a Buick. I still have the ground cable connected to the battery but isn't connected to the amp anymore could it be that the cable is draining the battery? Cause before I took it out this has never happened.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wouldnt start jump started it and died again

Originally Posted by BrianB16A2
Ok so I'm not sure whats going on. I haven't been driving my em1 it's been awhile now but from time to time I start it. Yesterday I woke up and noticed my car wouldn't start so I jumped started it and let it run for like 5-10 mins then turned it off. Woke up this morning and my car died again. Recently I took my subs and amp out of my car decided it was about time to take it out since it wasn't necessary to have it anymore it's a civic not a Buick. I still have the ground cable connected to the battery but isn't connected to the amp anymore could it be that the cable is draining the battery? Cause before I took it out this has never happened.
Is ur ground to ur alternator ground good? Alternator might b bad or not grounded good to charge to the battery
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've let the car sit long enough to drain the battery, jumping it and letting it run 5-10 minutes will not recharge it.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eg.ls.turbo
Is ur ground to ur alternator ground good? Alternator might b bad or not grounded good to charge to the battery
I'm not sure if my ground to my alternator is good I've never had probably with my alternator could it just happen out of no where? didn't do this few weeks ago. How can I tell. Also out if nowhere my locks won't lock when I arm my alarm
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
If you've let the car sit long enough to drain the battery, jumping it and letting it run 5-10 minutes will not recharge it.
Tru so how long u think? 20-30 mins? Could it be the power and ground cable for the amp and subs that drained it?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Try a few hours on an actual charger OR start driving the car around more often. I have another hatch that I rarely drive as well, starting it and letting it run for a few minutes once a week only gets me so far before the battery drains enough to not be able to crank. You mentioned you haven't been driving it, how long since you actually drove it? And how long in between drives does it sit?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try a few hours on an actual charger OR start driving the car around more often. I have another hatch that I rarely drive as well, starting it and letting it run for a few minutes once a week only gets me so far before the battery drains enough to not be able to crank. You mentioned you haven't been driving it, how long since you actually drove it? And how long in between drives does it sit?
A charger? What's it called? I would drive it more but my header is busted so once I replace it I will once in a while. Last time I drove it was like early October I'd say. Last time I started it before it died cranked up weak
Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

LOL that'll do it. Take the battery out and bring it to your local parts store and ask them to charge it for you. Most places around my area do it for free.

EDIT: Tip - if you know you won't be driving it, just disconnect the battery and reconnect it when you're ready to drive it. I'd still start it up and let it run couple times a week for the sake of keeping the fluids moving and the parts lubricated. At least while it's sitting there is no drain since the battery is not connected.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL that'll do it. Take the battery out and bring it to your local parts store and ask them to charge it for you. Most places around my area do it for free. EDIT: Tip - if you know you won't be driving it, just disconnect the battery and reconnect it when you're ready to drive it. I'd still start it up and let it run couple times a week for the sake of keeping the fluids moving and the parts lubricated. At least while it's sitting there is no drain since the battery is not connected.
Ight cool thx for the advice man. I'm gonna disconnect the cable for the amp and subs from the battery and run the car for like 30 mins or maybe just run to the parts store and have em charge it. Thx bro
Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when a battery Is totally discharged or almost, they need to be recharged fully with a good charger. Try this and if do it again from one day to other your battery is bad or you have a drain in a accessory. Also if you no need to use the car for several days take off the Neg. terminal.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by carlos8
when a battery Is totally discharged or almost, they need to be recharged fully with a good charger. Try this and if do it again from one day to other your battery is bad or you have a drain in a accessory. Also if you no need to use the car for several days take off the Neg. terminal.
Think I found the problem. I took my amp and subs out and left the ground and power cable connected to the positive part of the battery. I'm gonna disconnect the cable and take the battery to get charged. I'm pretty sure that cable was drawing power from the battery slowly since it wasn't connected to the amp and subs.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so update for you guys. So far everything's good. I took out the radio wire and ground and power cables for the amp, took my battery out to be charged put it back and everything seems fine. Power locks lock when I put the alarm on. Before they wouldn't lock cause the battery didn't have enough power. So far everything's good. Looks like I had an accessory drain and removing the ground cable from the battery was what I needed to do. Somehow it was draining the battery slowly.