Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont turn over, also hearing Buzz near ECU. *video*

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont turn over, also hearing Buzz near ECU. *video*

So my car been having problems for the last couple of months.
Basically sometimes it wont crank at all, it will just click a couple times and then all the dash light becomes dim.

I put in a new battery a couple months ago too, thinking that would help the problem AND a NEW starter as well.. It worked for a good couple of weeks, but the problem returned. It seems that something is causing the battery to drain. I know this because I would push/bump start my car sometimes when I have this problem, and after i turn off the car, it will be able to start afterwards no problem. But later in the morning/randomly, it will return to the same problem. It would just click and all the dash lights will become dim. I dont think it could be my alternator, because wouldnt the car just die on me if i drive?

Some notes: When the dashlights are dim, the car forsure will not start, but if the dashlights are bright, there is a good chance that the car will start
-the horns, high beam, headlights, all still work properly when this 'dash light dim' occurs.
slamming the driver door and the passenger door causes the dashboard lights to return back to normal. Sometimes shifting to different gears can cause the dashboard lights to return back to normal as well (which means there is a chance the car might start up)

SO recently, even if I bump/push start it, it will not ignite again right after I shut it off afterwards like usual. i took it to Interstate battery, and they said it was completely dead. They gave me a new one today, but after hooking it up, the dashboard lights were dim right away, and of course my car doesnt even start. Also it doesnt seem like it has enough juice to even lock my car by remote.

I dont have a sound system or anything hooked up to it, im pretty sure its not the battery, and im pretty sure its not the starter. But after i try starting it today with the new battery, i also hear a wierd buzzing noise from the ECU, not sure if its coming exactly from there, but its near there I would say.

Any suggestions? This **** been bugging me and I have been screwed to school on many random days, and am just sick of this piece of **** car to be honest, it ruins everything knowing that your car might not work randomly.

Heres the video:

Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Car wont turn over, also hearing Buzz near ECU. *video*

Loose connection maybe if you have to do a Fonzerelli to get the car to turn on.
Have your alternator tested.
Check that your grounds are clean.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had a problem like that, the bolt that holds the alternator to its bracket on the top was loose and at night you could see arcing across it maybe check some ground wires to (the one on thermostat housing was causing me problems as well so check thos)
Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with the alternator and get it tested. Free at autozone
Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Check, clean and tighten your grounds, clean your battery posts

Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks folks, i will try this tmr, glad there are some ideas on why this is happening