Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car won't turn over..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't turn over..

So my mom's 97 Del Sol Si (auto) stalled on her a couple days ago. I did some tests and it seems to not be getting any spark. I checked the cap/rotor and it looked pretty bad so I changed it. Long story short, I ended up getting a whole new dizzy and it's still not starting. I heard from a buddy it might even be the ECU. Any suggestions?!? I need to fix this A.S.A.P.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM

is the battery dead? Did you blow a fuse? Check those out.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also is there any check engine lights? throwing any codes?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Re: car won't turn over.. (GoCarInteg)

your title is confusing but uh...

check the fuse?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

checked the fuses under the hood... everything is good. I wasn't able to check anything underneath the steering column, it started raining. What fuses (if any) should I look out for?

BTW.. Battery is fine.

Thanks everybody.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly could be the alternator, if it has a saftey switch it might have shut off ur car, dunno :-\
Old 04-05-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

check the spark plugs? do u have compression? fuel pressure?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: (k20pRoject)

could be starter, spark plugs, alternator
Old 04-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekVtecPower)

alternator wouldn't have anything do with it not getting spark...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aallbbeerrtttttt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you gotta fill us in on whats it doing and not doing</TD></TR></TABLE>

The starter is fine.. The car just sounds like its out of gas (still has half a tank).
Everything is "clicking" as it normally would but it just won't start

I've checked with a test light the ignition, starter, 12v, ground and all is working
I've checked the battery terminals
I've checked the fuses (both underneath the hood and under the steering column)
I've replaced the dizzy, cap/rotor, plugs
NO CELs

The only thing that i haven't' changed is the wires... remember though, this problem just started a couple days ago when it stalled out on my mom.

One thing that I DO KNOW is that it is a spark problem. I've cranked the motor and pulled out the plugs. The plugs have gas on them.

I asked a buddy of mine if he ever heard of anything like this and he said that on his CRX, the ECU got damaged from water when it rained. It did the same thing but when he swapped the ECU, everything was fine. I would try swapping an ECU but no one I know has one and I really don't want to spend another $100 on something that I probably won't need.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check first if there's spark running thru your wires.. if still it won't work maybe try to check your timing.. this thing happened to me before, i can't seem to diagnose the problem and when i checked my timing i saw that my timing belt jump and made my timing retard so i can't start my engine.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:30 AM

im new to civics but on my old truck there was a fuel pump reset switch that you would have to push when this happened. also you might wanna try the fuel pump fuse?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohc1200cc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc1200cc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check first if there's spark running thru your wires.. if still it won't work maybe try to check your timing.. this thing happened to me before, i can't seem to diagnose the problem and when i checked my timing i saw that my timing belt jump and made my timing retard so i can't start my engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No spark from wires. As for timing, I still have the dizzy loose so I am able to adjust it. I've cranked it every which way with the dizzy adjusted.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn it over with the CAP removed. Get womeone to watch the rotor. Is it turning???
iF not you broke the timing belt.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s_vares)

I'm planning to bring in the dizzy to autozone to get checked (even though it's new). I was thinking it might be the wires but not sure.. any other ideas?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the ECU. my dizzy went out and i drove it like that home cuz someone tol dme if i revved past 3K the ECU could go bad. good luck hope its something simple
-Kyle
Old 04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't turn over.. (H4 Project)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H4 Project &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be the ECU. my dizzy went out and i drove it like that home cuz someone tol dme if i revved past 3K the ECU could go bad. good luck hope its something simple
-Kyle</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what i was thinking also, but i don't really want to spend another $100 on something that won't fix the problem. hopefully i can find someone to loan me a ECU
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so this is a 97 Delso correct?
If it is, then it has the crank shaft position sensor which produces some AC voltages ( analog signal 0-5 volts) while cranking. The PCM (ECU) receives this signal as an input voltage and sends out a 12-Volt DC On/OFF based on the idle speed and timming to the Coil inside the Dizzy. The Coil uses this 12 volts DC to produce up to 25,000-40,000 volts to the dizzy cap/rotor and fires the spark plugs.

If the crank shaft sensor is bad or broken you won't get any spark. The PCM won't send out any signals to the coil becuase it thinks that the engine is not cranking, but it could also be your wires, they might be opened, shorted.............you never know.
In order to check this crank shaft sensor ( Magnetic pick up coil), you can back probe it and use the DMM (Digital multi meter) to check for voltage coming out from that sensor, or use the scan tool to check for RPM signals and go from there.
I hope this help.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't turn over.. (Eg6B18C1)

Check the spark plug wires too if you haven't done that. It's a good time to replace your spak plug wires if the cap/rotor are bad becuase bad wires will cause your cap/rotor go bad again.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm...check a junkyard maybe
Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting any fuel?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't turn over.. (1bar_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1bar_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you getting any fuel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, i'm getting fuel. I cranked the car then pulled the plugs only to find gas on it.

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i read through the post but im not sure if u checked the MAIN fuse under the dash...

its next to the fuses for the tail lights wipers stereo etc..

but its kinda by its self in that area along with i think 2-3 other fuses, my money is on that fuse right there
Old 04-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: car won't turn over.. (Nerologic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoCarInteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alternator wouldn't have anything do with it not getting spark...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but sometimes when it dies, it trips a switch, I don't know if it's a honda, but sometimes that has to be reset, I've driven multiple cars in which alternators have died, some of them run off the battery until they die, the other ones have a switch that gets tripped and the car just stalls out...then you can't start it back up until you reset the switch
Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car won't turn over.. (Nerologic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nerologic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i read through the post but im not sure if u checked the MAIN fuse under the dash...

its next to the fuses for the tail lights wipers stereo etc..

but its kinda by its self in that area along with i think 2-3 other fuses, my money is on that fuse right there </TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked all the fuses that might pertain to the problem.. not the "window roll down" or the "lights" fuses. They're all fine. I was just talking to my neighbor that works on all his hondas and he said that he went through the same problem. He said that he had to buy like a $50 relay that went under the dash. Anybody know or heard of this?

Quick Reply: car won't turn over..