Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAR WONT STAY RUNNING..PLZ HELP ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR WONT STAY RUNNING..PLZ HELP ASAP!!!

ok so here's the thing, i just bought a 96 civic ex shell thats been converted to a si clone..anyways i bought a complete obd1 gsr swap for it and i saw it run with my own eyes before i picked it up..i get it in my car and it doesnt run..wtf

ISSUES:
crank but wont fire, unless foot keeps throttle open, wondering if its the throttle cable doesnt keep enough tension on throttle body to stay open for some incoming air...or is it controlled off iacv, using a dx throttle cable btw
running very very rich
running a obd2 ex auto harness..car is manual, had king motorsports do the necessary fixes to the harness so it would run right...change dizzy connector, iat connector, etc.
got it running for a bit holding the rpms at like 1500 for about a minute...got 4 cels
10-intake air temp-dont understand cuz like i said the harness was redone by KING MOTORSPORTS to run the motor
19-auto trans lockup control valve-not worried about this cuz car is manual
20-electrical load detector-had to change plugs from obd2 harness to work with obd1 alternator
41-primary o2 heater-had to extend those wires to reach the back instead of the front

also running obd1 p28 ecu with boomslang jumper harness...the head was redone on the motor for unknown reason..no receipts..like i said motor ran perfect before in my car and saw it run

PLZ HELP ASAP ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WONT STAY RUNNING..PLZ HELP ASAP!!!

Ok well you have an automatic ecu it has nothing to do with the wiring. Get a helms manual and look at the color coding of the wires to make sure they are in their proper location. Is the Iat sensor mixed up with iacv? Is the wiring of the o2 sensor hooked up properly? *Recheck

I think you may have fried a resistor in your ecu my buddy had the same problem/symptom,and every time he put another ecu in the car it fried a resistor and i due believe he finally told me had something hooked up backwards.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do u know im running a automatic ecu i thought the p28 is from the 92-95 si...and i have a haynes manual..and i dont have the iat and iacv switched, i checked the wiring cuz i know alot of ppl switch those around...do u think if i switched something re-wiring the o2 i could of fried something in my ecu that way or....?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a 4 pin o2 sensor
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Manual ecu's dont throw automatic transmission codes. Are you suggesting the harness is throwing an automatic transmission code? Doesnt make sense now does it. There was also no si in 92-95 there was a sohc vtec which is the ecu you have and yes there is the civic ex with an auto trans that have p28's in them to control the vtec motor in it.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#1 use the correct ecu: 96 GSR OBD2A

#2 check your TPS sensor, wiring, and plug

#3 check your MAP sensor, wiring, and plug
Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not worried about the auto trans code ill fix that later....just worried about the running issue...and there was an si in 92-95 but yes it came with the sohc vtec im aware it didnt have the b16 in it...ive checked the wiring for the map and tps sensor and their all correct...i have a obd2 p72 but i already have the jumper harness and everything to run obd1
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running an auto ecu? how'd you get a auto lock up code with a automatic harness
is the GSR OBD2a?

to diagnose the problem you have to start from the source.
wrong ECU, modified harness, engine swap...etc, etc, etc

just trying to help but if you're not willing to recheck then dont post you need help!
ive been doing this for ten something years, just like to help out if i can

IMHO use the gsr ecu and see what happens
Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the motor is obd1 originally...heres the thing i changed the ecu to a obd2b p72 ecu from my buddy's 2000 gsr. the car runs only cuz i extended the throttle cable to keep tension on the throttle body so it idles at like 1200..which i dont like no one would but i just redid the timing to make sure it was on and wen i was taking the valve cover off i found out the guy who had it before didnt put a valve cover gasket back on...idk if that would cause a huge vacuum leak(which im guessing it would) cuz its still running super rich to where theres smoke coming from the valve cover..its also ticking pretty bad..idk wats wrong with this thing
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brokensol
get a 4 pin o2 sensor
yea i have a brand new 4 pin o2 sensor
Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k heres another thing..i checked voltage going to the iat and its like 11.8v and the resistance is like around 5.5 ohms which is about right according to haynes...its about 25-35 degrees in my garage...resistance goes up as temp decreases right....or should i just go to honda and get a new engine harness for the 96 ex manual and run with that with the p28...i wanna keep the car obd1 or should i find a obd1p72?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lthao61
#1 use the correct ecu: 96 GSR OBD2A

#2 check your TPS sensor, wiring, and plug

#3 check your MAP sensor, wiring, and plug
all i can say...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i decided im gonna take my p28 ecu and get it converted from auto to manual, and put a custom basemap in it and see if theres anything else wrong with it on the inside...but this morning wen i went back out to get something out of it i decided to throw the obd2b p72 in it and adjust the throttle cable so there was no tension on it keeping the throttle body open...and to my suprise it started right up and idled at 1000 rpms which is pretty good wen it has no coolant in it or anything so it ll drop once it warms up...all ill hafta do wen i get the ecu back is figure out other tweeks