Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont start, wont jump, weird popping sound passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Solved] Car wont start, wont jump, weird popping sound passenger side

Alright i need some help guys,

My car (98 civic hx) was working as of last night. I got up this morning to go to work and it barely tried to turn over then nothing. I ended up push starting my car in order to get to work. After work i hopped into my car (fingers crossed) hoping it would start, i turn it over and nothing; i hold the key in desperation and it cranks just enough to start and get me home. I go ahead and buy a new battery then install it. After the new battery is installed i try to turn it over, and nothing. I figure the battery might be a little out of juice after coming off the shelf, so i push start again and drive around for 20 minutes hoping to charge the battery.

I get home turn off the car and try to start it again, nothing. Next i try jump-starting using another car, and the car still doesnt start or even try, so im assuming its not a bad alternator. While my car is being jump-started my radio goes out after i turn the key. Instead of the car making the constant clicking sound on the drivers side down by the fuse box, the car makes an echoey popping sound (6-8 times) from the passenger side, this sound comes a second after trying to turn the car over.

So here is the break down of things ive tried:

- New battery
- Jump Start
- Clean chassis grounds
- Checked relative fuses for both starter and radio
- tried tapping starter with hammer
- clean battery terminal connectors

here is a list of symptoms:

- While turning on the key, dash lights flicker, 1 or 2 clicks (maybe) from the starter relay down by driverside fuse box.

- after i turn the key i hear (6-8) popping echoey sounds from passenger side for a few seconds, dash lights continue to flicker.

*Radio will not turn on (checked radio fuse on back as well as car fuses)*

After searching i got a lot of results pointing to a bad starter, i am just concerned that it might be something else electrically because of the weird sounds and radio going out.

Does anyone have any things to try/diagnose before i go out and buy a new starter?

Would it be possible to remove the starter then hook it up directly to the battery to see if it works; pointing it more towards an electrical issue?

I do not mind getting the new starter, i am just worried i am going to buy and replace the starter, and nothing be fixed.

Thank you for your help, and sorry for the long post; i just wanted to get all of the information out there.

Last edited by Sofakingtyte; 05-29-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car wont start, wont jump, weird popping sound passenger side

I don't have much else to add, except that AutoZone will test your starter for free if you take it off and take it to them. Worth a shot before you spend any money on a new one. It does sound like your starter, except I have no idea why it'd cause your lights to flicker like that.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the connections to the starter? There's a spade connector and a pair posts with a nut, all covered with a rubber boot.

"Echocey popping" sounds like an electrical short. I'd really inspect the wiring on the passenger side. Maybe something has been rubbing and finally got through the wire insulation.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, i was able to figure it out... i pulled off the battery terminal connectors, and cleaned up the connection between the actual wires and the terminal connector itself there was a lot of gunk/corrosion built up. this is explained the electrical weirdness and the starting issue as nothing was getting solid power.