Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Won't Start....running out of ideas

Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start....running out of ideas

Drive a D16Y7. Usually after I drive a good while and turn off the car, it'll turn on easily like normal. But after the times I don't drive the car for hours like over night or just during the day when I don't drive, it'll take forever to crank up. I did a tune-up about a few months ago, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, ignition coil, and all. I recently change the spark plug wires since I had warranty on them but after I did that the car ran as usual. This problem occurred weeks later.

Battery I have now is few months old but I got the cheap one with 450 cranks. When the ignition is on, everything inside works, doesn't show lack of battery. Haven't tried someone else's battery but I'll give it a try today and see if it cranks easier like that. My car takes about 4 cranks before it'll actually start and it'll only do it after I let go of the clutch with the ignition all the day (it'll struggling pick up on it).

Think it might be the alternator/starter? Anyone know how much they go for and how hard it is to replace one?

Last edited by Bloody Hatch; 03-07-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Car Won't Start....running out of ideas

Are you saying that currently the starter turns the engine only slowly/weakly versus quickly/strongly like normal? If so, definitely make sure that the specs of the battery match the car with respect to cold cranking amps. Also use some steel wool to clean the battery posts, connectors, and the ground wire attached to the chassis. Then go from there.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Are you saying that currently the starter turns the engine only slowly/weakly versus quickly/strongly like normal? If so, definitely make sure that the specs of the battery match the car with respect to cold cranking amps. Also use some steel wool to clean the battery posts, connectors, and the ground wire attached to the chassis. Then go from there.
I got the battery at Autozone and said for what motor/vehicle it is going on but yea I'll give that a check is there a specific model number for brands I should match it with. I don't think my battery posts has been properly clean before just simply removed back and fourth.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it hot outside? Car cranks but cuts off? If so, It might be your Main Relay, if its hot outside and inside of the car it will take a couple of tries to get the car to crank up, until it cools off. Thats a sign of the Main Relay going bad. You should pull it out and check for cracks.

The Main Relay is located on the left side on the driver side under the fuse area.

Looks like this

Last edited by lhd dc2; 03-07-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lhd dc2
Is it hot outside? Car cranks but cuts off? If so, It might be your Main Relay, if its hot outside and inside of the car it will take a couple of tries to get the car to crank up, until it cools off. That's a sign of the Main Relay going bad. You should pull it out and check for cracks.

The Main Relay is located on the left side on the driver side under the fuse area.

Looks like this
I'm in Miami and yea at first I thought this only would happen when a cold front started to cover us but past 2 days have been hot and problem still exists. I tried jumping my car with my mom's new car and still wouldn't work so I know it's not the battery. I keep thinking it might be the Alternator or Starter.

But like you said, if it is the Main Relay, how can it go bad with cracks? Also how can I fix if it is going bad or test it to see if it is the problem?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Main Relay likes to act up only when its hot, not cold. I apologize for not being detailed about the crack. It tends to go bad when the solder itself cracks, not the case of the Main Relay . Ive had this case on both my EG and DC, when its really hot outside and inside the car. I would have to air out my car before I could crank it. If not, it would just crank up and die...and after it cranks up its fine for the whole day.

Easiest way to test it, is to borrow a friends or buy one test it out and return if its not it.

Here is a good link to help you understand the symptoms of the a bad Main Relay.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainr...mainrelay.html
Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? If its dirty and clogged it can cause a no start condition. Relays cost a grip so start with the filter dude!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lhd dc2
The Main Relay likes to act up only when its hot, not cold. I apologize for not being detailed about the crack. It tends to go bad when the solder itself cracks, not the case of the Main Relay . Ive had this case on both my EG and DC, when its really hot outside and inside the car. I would have to air out my car before I could crank it. If not, it would just crank up and die...and after it cranks up its fine for the whole day.

Easiest way to test it, is to borrow a friends or buy one test it out and return if its not it.

Here is a good link to help you understand the symptoms of the a bad Main Relay.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainr...mainrelay.html
Yea, like the rest of the day it'll be find since it has been already cranked. It's the hours of it not being on is when it struggles. I found the plug, disconnected it but didn't find anything wrong or any wires slipping out. Checked the male and female ends but nothing that looks unusual. I plugged it back in tightly and car turns on flawlessly but I wanna test it and wait couple hours and see if it struggles. I don't have tints and yea it will most likely struggle when I'm at my mom's house where I have to part outside overnight and not use the car till afternoon time. Where parking in my dad's garage, it starts normally more or less.

Originally Posted by rocketdancer
when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? If its dirty and clogged it can cause a no start condition. Relays cost a grip so start with the filter dude!
Forgot to mention that after trying to crank those many times, I would pop the hood just too look for anything unplugged perhaps but I did keep smelling fuel, at first thought it was a leak, I haven't changed the fuel filter, don't know if the previous owner has either. (I'm the second owner) where can I find the filter?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds just like the Main Relay problem I use to experience, drove me nuts. I personally think its your Main Relay,especially how you just described it being parked at both your parents house in different climates.

Hope you find your problem, good luck!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea for costs and how hard to install it? Is it only underneath the dash that the relay is? or is there more parts of the relay besides that?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

I know eBay fails but just a thought if anyone knows any other place that sells new one's LMK, Where did you get yours?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its $69.99 at Autozone if you have one in FL. Its simple to install, just getting to the bolt can be tricky. And that is the only one located under the drivers dash, on the upper left side and thats the only part you need to replace.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$70 for an OEM or like a duralast brand? According to the link you posted there should be 2 sides which two plugs can go in right? Or just 1 plug plugs into the relay.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Non OEM, and 1 plug.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I c so the screw holding the relay is a bitch I guess. Well I'll check and test it with my friend's relay as well and see if that is the problem. I'll also check the fuel filter since I don't think anyone has changed that. Thanks everyone for the help!