Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Won't Start. A Real Stumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start. A Real Stumper

OK, here goes. I've built a 92 hatch from the ground up pretty much. its an LS/VTEC with a GSR Head. I'm not going to sit here and list everything that i have because that would take all day. Just know that it has everything known to man. and i mean pretty much everything from H-beam rods to 880 injectors to Power FC to turbo. the whole nine yards. I've been having this starting problem ever since i built the demon. I just get the damn "CLICK", now the fuel pump primes so i'm pretty sure that its not the main relay. everything else is brand new: the starter, the distributor, the battery the wires, the plugs, the cap, the battery lines, the grounds, everything. Now the car will JUMP START and run all day until you turn it off, and then it won't start again. even when jump starting it takes a little bit. i have to flip the ignition a lot to get it to go. it just clicks until it actually turns and then it starts right up and runs like a F$%KING BEAST!!! this is pissing me off. it does it every time too. cold or hot. I've been looking at this site for months now and i see a lot of similar problems but have tried everything that is posted. It sucks too because some poeple just say "PROBLEM FIXED" and won't say what fixed it. I hate that. OK, any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a 92 CX a few days ago. All stock. Same problem kinda. cept it will only push start. I havnt tried to jump it. I work at advance auto parts ...... after looking everything up in the computer I can think of its one of 3 things.

Wireing.

clutch neutral switch/sensor

Ignition switch.

Thing is, if it was the ignition switch I dont think it would start at all ya? and ignition switch is 300$ so that thought rly scares the fck outta me. The wireing in this car is all stock and I got it from the original owner. I'm gonna be figuring this out really soon though thats for damn sure ...... push starting is complete bull ****.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Car Won't Start. A Real Stumper (Mr. LS VTEC)

Make sure your Engine is well grounded. i had this problem when i did an engine swap. ive done several but i over looked 2 of my ground wires that ground the valve cover to the core support and passenger frame rail to tranny. i had one but that wasnt enough. after looking and being pissed off too, i figured out that they were missing i coudnt find them so i got a set of jumper cables used on side to ground the the distributer to the negative side of the battery and it started up just fine. best of luck man.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for some more advice.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HA I FIGURED IT OUT!

Ok so I met someone who knows alot of my friends that works at a audio place and is into hondas too.

So he took a 12v tester and tested EVERYTHING then last he went to my starter and the ignition wire on my starter and it wasnt shooting 12v ...... he hit the power button on the tester and it started right up.

im gonna get a new wire from fuse box to the starter and see what it doooooo.

ill keep ya updated.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. LS VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump for some more advice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a bad ground for sure, check where the battery grounds to the body, starter to tranny, and engine to body. Metal to Metal, paint and grime build = bad grounds..
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hellraver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hellraver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im gonna get a new wire from fuse box to the starter and see what it doooooo.

ill keep ya updated.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get the correct gauge wire for sure..
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just ran a power wire from the battery to a switch in the car .... put a fuse in between it .... sent it back to the ignition hookup on the starter .... so now i got a push button start ...... ftw ...
Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: (Hellraver)

sounds like a ground on your starter maybe
check your dizzy and spark plugs too :/