Car wont start, no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, no spark.

It first started like this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1112637
"Car would die on highway but bumpstart itself"
Now it is officially dead, and I am getting no spark(via jamming screwdriver in plug wire and starting the car with the screwdriver next to the strut tower). I have replaced the distributor and am still getting no spark.

What now?

Is there any way to check to see if power is getting to the distributor(im wondering if its ign switch or something) or is there any way to see if the distributor is sparking. Thank you very much, pls help as id like to go home this weekend.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cut a piece of the rubber off the wires goin to the dist and put a voltmeter on it, it should have a signal only in run and start, if you get nothing your not getting power to the dist, does everything else work in run?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

if you find the plug that goes into the distributor from the outside power source and put a voltmeter on it, it should read power when you try and start it if it doesn't then the dizzy isn't your problem.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: (civiccpedx)

Okay, there are 2 plugs that go to the dist, 1 has like 8 wires, the other has 2. Using whatever common sense I have I put a voltimeter up to the one that has 2. When in accessories I got no power. Do I have to turn it over to get it to read power? All my other power accessories work like lights etc.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: (PUSHER)

bump, could it be a fuse or anything?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its needs to be in the #2 positions
Old 02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming you checked all the fuses under the hood and the dash. Did you check a fuse called the A.G.S or something like that?

Also, when turned on the "on" position, confirm that the "battery" and "check engine" light are on.

Did you test the ICM in the dizzy to see if voltage is getting there?

with the key on the "on" position, disconnect the wires to the ICM and put a voltmeter on the black yellow wire and to a body ground. THere SHOULD be voltage.
If there isn't, check the relay for sure and the ECM.
Also, under the dash on the drivers side is mounted a main relay.
try swapping it with a buddy that also has your year civic also.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (brookliner7)

When you say main relay do you mean the fuel relay that clicks or what? Is the AGS fuse under the hood or inside? To test if voltage is getting to the dist I disconnect the plug with 2 wires, put one testing pin to the black and yellow and put the other testing pin on like a strut tower? Will try this tomm.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 AM

bump, could it be a fuse or anything?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Alright, well power is getting to the distributor through the plug. I tryed to start it but the battery was dead. So I push started it and it started up, drove it around for a bit to charge the battery and it died again. I'm guessing that when I jump start it there will be no spark but when i push start it, its going to run. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:08 AM

give me some time to diagnose your problem , i will get back to you with-in the hour
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (Honda V-Tec)

i have research your thread and came with the follow results.

(1)the most common diagnoses that can cause a engine to die in motion are spark plugs. they are often looked over when trying to repair your car. oil greece and age can cause spark plugs to go bad easy.

(2)because you stated your battery was infact dead and you had to start the car by poping the clutch this will eliminate posible fuse problems or bad connections. the way a car runs is by useing the alternator in place of a constant batery connection. when a alternator goes bad you will not be able to notice it for several miles. the reason for this is simple. you have just enough power left in your batery to keep the car going. as time progresses fequent power loss will cause the car to die as the alternator goes out. even when in motion. the problem to your question could also be a new alternator. if you would like to test this simply jump start your car with a new batery. youll notice the car should run fine till the battery dies. if an alternator is bad all cylinders will not work correctly and the access unburned fuel can flood the engine. alternators can go bad for several reasons but the most common is mosture and age. hope this can give you some insite on my diagnoses.

-Josh
Old 02-10-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (Honda V-Tec)

Alright, bought new spark plugs put them in, dead batt so I had to push start it. It started, drove it a block, parked it, let it idle for like 45 secs, got back in I think I might of put it in gear and it died on me. Engine will turn over but still no spark. Anyone have a better Idea on how to check for spark? So far ive put a screwdriver in the wire and held it to a strut tower bolt. Then I put a spark plug into the wire and held it near a ground, still no spark. This thing is driving me insane. Any way to check if power is getting out of the distributor before the wires?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spark plug wires... rotors and caps? swap with a local friend...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope someone figures this out soon as well becuase i am having the same problem. I have tried everything stated above and still can't pinpoint the problem. Although i have replaced the ignition coil and ignitor with good known working ones and the problem went away for a while then started happening again. Every time the car dies and i remove the distributor and take the cap off to check the connections inside and put it back on the car it fires right up and i havent touched anything. I hate driving my car fearing that it's going to break down on me at any moment. Hondas are supposed to be reliable, i feel like im driving a DSM!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (Spoolin93si)

Ditto, my 280z gives me easy fixable problems when it does give me problems. The honda always does random stuff that makes me insane. Rotor and cap are going on tomm, and guess what, I bet it wont do much. Until I see sparks when I crank the engine I'm not gonna be happy.