Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAR WONT START HELP!!!! please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAR WONT START HELP!!!! please help!!!!

Well,
I went to the shop after work to adjust my LOUD *** valve chatter problem,

First, I check my timing, looks like its off some, So.... I do the timing and now its PERFECT... or I "think" it is......

Then I adjust each valve making sure the number one piston is at TDC, and ajust each valve accordingly.

Intake valve(s) I did .008 and exhaust valve(s) I did .010
I did valves #1 cyl. with the cam sproket "UP" at 12 o' clock postition,
Then turned the crank counterclock wize wiht the work "up" now facing toward the exhaust side to ajust #3 cyl valves, then again another 180* turn the word "up is staright DOWN, then I ajust valves #4 then another turn the word "up" is now facing the intake manny side, Adjust Valves #2.

Now rechecking timing after im done, Its perfect, ( the marks in the crank pulley, the 1 mark not the 3 marks, are now facing on the pointer on the timing cover PERFECTLY) or I think it is....

Try to start the car... it wont ******* start.
I have checked the timning/ valves several times, took my valve cover off so many times. I dont know what to do!! ARGGGGGGGGG

and when I try to start the car, it not hering the starter clicking, its like the starter stallling or soemthing..
OHHHH, I should have left the car alone! Damn I suck!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WONT START HELP!!!! please help!!!! (zx2gotboost)

ok, one question I want to ASK,
On the crank/ a/c or whatever belts hook up to it, Pulley there are 2 different marks one mark has 3 lines and the other just has 1 line, what line or mark is timign supopos to be correct? I alined it to the mark with the 1 line.

BTW, I have a 94 Civic DX 1.5 SOHC Peice of ****.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zx2gotboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Does it have ******* spark?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zx2gotboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have checked the timning/ valves several times, took my valve cover off so many times. I dont know what to do!! ARGGGGGGGGG

and when I try to start the car, it not hering the starter clicking, its like the starter stallling or soemthing..
OHHHH, I should have left the car alone! Damn I suck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

so are you saying when you turn the key nothing is moving? have you checked to see if the battery is dead?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OHHHH, I should have left the car alone! Damn I suck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

a) chill out take it easy on yourself. these things happen
b) did you remember to recoonnect your battery.
c) did you accidently unhooking some wires.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WONT START HELP!!!! please help!!!! (old man neri)

No NO NO, I KNOW when a Battery is dead, Its NOT NOTHING TO DO WITH SPARK, nor electrical, I think my ******* timing is off, even though its seems as it is, I think my crank pulley is off and not correct............

But wait, that cant be true, cuz I took off my dizzy cap and when I was at TDC for #1 cyl, the rotor pointed at the #1 spark plug wire on the cap......... So timing has to be ok,

What I think is the damn valves are NOT adjusted correct, even though the feeler gauge is correct, it may be off.................. expletive I dunno.

And yes, the car makes noise when i try to start it, like the starter not juts clicking bt doing a long errrrrr sound.
if there was no spark, i would here the starter keep clicking over.

I garuntee, it has to do with valve adjustment or something.........
Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said, I DID NOT unhook any WIRES at all!

Things I did, Take off my valve cover, re ajusted timing, adjusted valves.

Hmm... I wonder, when I took my valve cover off, one of them things that are under the nut on the valve cover, fell off and I dont know where it went..... possibly it fell down in the lower timing cover?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so Ive narrowed it down to this,

1: its NOT THE battery
2: Timing is NOt off

3: Although, I checked with the engine COLD, and ajusted the valves to specs with a FEELER gauge, they may be off?

If I bent valves, Would the car start?
What else could I have done since the timing/valves was off ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check for spark and fuel? Start with the basics, do that first.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WONT START HELP!!!! please help!!!! (anony95ex)

I gauntee it has nothing to do with fuel/spark........ the car ran perfect when I drive it to the shop, besides the LOUD valve chatter...............
Old 12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zx2gotboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I gauntee it has nothing to do with fuel/spark........ the car ran perfect when I drive it to the shop, besides the LOUD valve chatter............... </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anony95ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you check for spark and fuel? Start with the basics, do that first.</TD></TR></TABLE>
**** happens.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recheck your timing
Old 12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

</TD></TR></TABLE>

And yes, the car makes noise when i try to start it, like the starter not juts clicking bt doing a long errrrrr sound.
if there was no spark, i would here the starter keep clicking over.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well which is it, you are very confusing to understand. Is your car turning over?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zx2gotboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like i said, I DID NOT unhook any WIRES at all!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Always, always unhook your negative lead from your batter when working on your car. Safety first.

And you may have knocked a wire lose by accident or did something else by accident with out noticing. Don't take anything for grant it, double check all the simple stuff.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try to turn your engine over manually. get your main pulley tool and turn the engine a couple revolutions. it is possible you dropped something inside the engine, or the valves were adjusted in the wrong order or overtightened (causing binding), or something has contact. turn the engine by hand and then start checking why it wont crank. timing has nothing to do with the car cranking, only running unless you have contact.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

well, worked on the car tonight, I had mu buddy who has been working on cars for YEARS help me, first off he said the valves were WAY OFF... so we adjusted them and the car still didnt start...

Secondly he checked timing, it was ok,

and 3rd we did a compression test.... results= 0 psi

So oviously I bent some valves being a complete dumb ***.

So I took the head off tonight, and going to put on the brand new head I P&P'd with all new valves, cam, springs ect..

So inconclusion, I guess I had the valves adjusted to far out, and they slapped the piston(s) and now im fucked for a day.

My last and final question, I have NO plans on boosting this slow *** SOHC, BUT liek I said, I P&P'd the head and I wanna make it a lil faster.... SO, I herd something about getting a metal head gasket that is also thinner from an 1996 ? Civic DX ? ? ? My head is NON VTEC. My question is, do I want to raise the compression withg this head gakset? Will it make me faster? Or should I just buy the stock d15b7 head gasket?

Thank you!

BTW, another thing I am confused on, Haynes manual told me to adjust the valves accordingly:
Exhaust&gt; .009-.011
Intake&gt; .007-.009
And on the hood of the car it says:
Intake and exhaust both .002 or 20 ??
Need to know specifically what to adjust my NEW valves to so I dont expletive them up as well!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you did something wrong on the valve adjustment really bad... like the lobes were on the wrong position...i have never seen anyone adjust the valves like that ever before. do you know what it feels like whent the feeler gauge is being contacted?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

yes sir, I though I did,

when I come to think of it, when I turned the crank pulley with a ratchet, I did hear some noise, and felt some binding.
Guess I shouldnt have forced it if I felt the binding........

BVut hey, I admit my mistakes, and foturantly this was a MAJOR mistake and i feel like a dumbass...

Anyway, the head is gone and the new head is ready to go in, tommarow I WILL be buying a new head gasket, which one should I buy?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zx2gotboost)

I was thinking, before I get too far ahead of myself,

I remmebered when I tryed to start the car, The starter! The starter like I said before isnt making the Normal turning over sound that it does, it sounds liek the s=tarter is going backwards, like a long errrr sound
Old 12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, well In CONCLUSION,

I put on my brand new head, D16Y8 Head gasket, Hones the cylinders. When I took off my head I wanted to see something, I pulled the timing belt till the #1 piston was at TDC, then atfer I did that I checked the marks on the crank pulley, OMFG, they WERE WAY OFF!!! I guess my crank pulley had slipped or soemthing, I have no ******* clue what happend, thats why I bent valves.

So to make a happy story short, Put the new head on, put the pulley on CORRECT, and the car started right up, ran like a dream, no more valve tick too! NEW valves RULE!!!!!!!! She purrs quietly!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zx2gotboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> no more valve tick too! NEW valves RULE!!!!!!!! She purrs quietly! </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's awsome.

my honda ticks a little in the morning, I call it the Honda V-TICK engine...