Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start...Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start...Help please.

The reason why the car won't start is because there's no fuel going into the engine. The fuel pump works, and it's sending fuel through the fuel filter ( I just replaced the filter two days ago ) and it's going to the FPR, but not going through it. I know it's going through because I took off the fuel line to the FPR and turned it to the "on" position and fuel comes out. But when I put it to the FPR, it doesn't want to go through. I replaced the FPR beause I thought it was clogged, but the new one did the same thing. No fuel going through. Injecotrs are working. I pulled out the whole rail including injectors inside, and NOTHING. I'm not sure what could be wrong. Maybe the fuel pump is dead? If it's dead, will it sill work? I hear it buzzing so I know it's on..and fuel IS going through the filter so it's working rght? I'm not too sure....but can you please help me? Thanks.

Cliff notes...Fuel pump is working. No fuel is going through the FPR/rail. Car won't start.

Old 11-20-2002, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (Esone3)

I have a Mazda, but I had the same problem, and I replaced the starter, and the problem was fixed. Maybe that will help some.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (AlteezaThug)

I have a Mazda, but I had the same problem, and I replaced the starter, and the problem was fixed. Maybe that will help some.
Everything's fine....

However the engine should AT LEAST be getting fuel, which it isn't. I don't know what to do..I can't exactly take it to a machanic because the car doesn't even start so it's been in my driveway collecting dust for the past week and a half. Grr..

I have kia sophia with mi tec , and had the same problem just get some NAWS and it will run fine.
I asked for help, not stupidity. What a nice name...AlteezaThug. Go back to superhonda.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is fuel dribbling out for spitting out? remember the pump puts out a good amount of PSi, and it should be coming out alot.. Do you have a FP gauge? hook that up, and turn the car to the ON position... i should read at least 30psi... have you tried pulling the fuel rail off of the injectors and turning the car on? Does fuel flow out of all 4 holes?

Try disconnecting the fuel line before the filter, and turn it to the on position... and see how much fuel comes out... maybe you got a bad fuel filter, or crimped a line when you changed the filter.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (ScrapinSi)

Is fuel dribbling out for spitting out? remember the pump puts out a good amount of PSi, and it should be coming out alot.. Do you have a FP gauge? hook that up, and turn the car to the ON position... i should read at least 30psi... have
that's what i recommend. get a hold of a gauge that mounts on top of the fuel filter and see if there is pressure
Old 11-20-2002, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (AlteezaThug)

I have kia sophia with mi tec , and had the same problem just get some NAWS and it will run fine.
I hate you more than I hate 90hatchforb16a, you fawkin troll. x10000000

[Modified by J B G, 12:57 PM 11/20/2002]
Old 11-20-2002, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (J B G)

Is fuel dribbling out for spitting out? remember the pump puts out a good amount of PSi, and it should be coming out alot.. Do you have a FP gauge? hook that up, and turn the car to the ON position... i should read at least 30psi... have you tried pulling the fuel rail off of the injectors and turning the car on? Does fuel flow out of all 4 holes?
Try disconnecting the fuel line before the filter, and turn it to the on position... and see how much fuel comes out... maybe you got a bad fuel filter, or crimped a line when you changed the filter.
I just changed the fuel filter yesterday. Fuel is coming out fine. I took of the fuel line that goes INTO the fpr, and turned it "on" and fuel was coming out. Not spitting. A good amount was traveling through the line. "Looks" like pressure is OKAY. The thing is, it stops right at the FPR. Doesn't travel through the rails or injectors. It doesn't even exit the rail, meaning for some odd reason, it just stops at the FPR. I'm not sure why it's not going in. I just changed the FPR this morning too...
Old 11-20-2002, 12:11 PM

AlteezaThug was just banned....Thanks to all the moderators.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:13 PM

Old 11-20-2002, 12:13 PM

Old 11-20-2002, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (J B G)

It's kinda like this....I'm no good at this so please stick with me..

===OO=====XX []+[]+[]+[]====Return to tank

= is the fuel line

OOO is the fuel filter

XX is the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)

[] is each injector

+ is the fuel rail

Now, it's going through the filter just fine. But when it gets to the FPR, it just stops. It's like nothing is pushing the fuel through the FPR, therefor, the rail, injectors, fuel return do no get ANY fuel at all. I took off the FPR and just ran the fuel line and the vac line to it so that IF the FPR worked, it would just spill out of the FPR when I turn it "on" but theres no fuel and it's a NEW FPR...What can be wrong. Any vac problems I'm running into? Help please.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:50 PM

Now, it's going through the filter just fine. But when it gets to the FPR, it just stops. It's like nothing is pushing the fuel through the FPR,
It sounds like you dont have enough pressure on the fuel to push it through the FPR. Might be a problem with the fuel pump. Good Luck though man!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (EKology)

I hope so..
Old 11-21-2002, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be a crank sensor, not sure but sometimes if it doesnt pick up it wont allow the injectors to pump, thinks the engine isnt running, if you have pressure at prime (when the pump comes on) Try cranking the car and spray some fuel on a rag with a spray bottle and see if it will run, with the rag in place of your element. It is kinda dangerous but if it starts and runs it is a sensor somewhere. Or you can spray fuel in the manifold while starting the car. Good luck keep us posted.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (madhatch)

I MIGHT try that...but I'm not too sure about it..anyone else have any suggestions/tips?
Old 11-22-2002, 04:11 AM

I think I'm getting over my head in this one.. But I remember from class that for the FPR to work properly, there has to be a Vacuum Pressure. And if that Vacuum Pressure isn't present, it's quite possible that the Fuel Pressure Diagphram (I think that's what it's called) is faulty.. But don't quote me on that..

But whatever you do.. Good Luck cause I think you'll need it, because I would..

[Modified by PnX-R, 7:12 AM 11/22/2002]
Old 11-22-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (PnX-R)

I thought about that too, but if the car isn't on, what gives it vacuum? What you said makes sense...I just don't get how the car would have vacuum when it doesn't even start.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:21 AM

maybe it is getting fuel. Check to see if there is spark in your cylinders that might help. pull off a plug wire put it to nearest ground and crank the engine a couple of times see if there is spark.check to see if you hooked up vac for FPR and the FPR return line correctly. Good luck
Old 11-22-2002, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Car won't start...Help please. (Mr.NiceGuy)

Everything is hooked up correctly. It's NOT getting fuel. Fuel comes out of the line from the filter, to the FPR, but not THROUGH it. All spark plugs are working fine. All spark, no fuel. What could it be?