Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont start...help me please

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start...help me please

i just replace my HG on my y8 engine...i plug everything back right but when i go to start the car i just get a click and thats all..i check the dist. and i have it the right way..i bought new spark plugs but still using my old wires(im gonna go get new ones tomorrow)..I set the car to TDC and follow all the steps...but my car wont start...i have no check engine light..please help me..im thinkin its either im getting no fuel or no spark..
Old 03-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Car wont start...help me please (ace42004)

check your grounds first to make sure they are attached. If they are it sounds like the starter if it just clicks
Old 03-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Car wont start...help me please (jessej)

I would also check to see that you have the wires plugged into your ignition coil correctly, if you miss just one, or it is loose, your car won't start, but everything else will work fine
Old 03-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Start simple man, check the battery terminals
Old 03-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: (LS95eg)

Very true, check the battery. The root of all crappy electrical problems start there, I should know... I made that mistake myself as well once upon a crime
Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VegasEFHB)

yeah i check all of those already..im pretty sure not the battery cause everything else works(cd player, lights etc)..it could be my starter,cause it has given me problems before...i made a quick movie so it would help u guys out more..not the best..but u can see the check engine light go off..and then when i try to start the car u can see it kinda flicker..oh and the voice at the end is the fedex guy...to drop off these

to bad i wont be able to use them now...damn it i have turbo kit waiting to go on this...im gonna go put some more gas in it tomorrow..

movie clip
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

thanks for the input so far...i bet its something really dumb that i over look
Old 03-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the battery for voltage dropoff , starter needs 12volts or more, not like radio, or lights..also rotate the motor from the crank make sure free, if manual trans try to pop start...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a starter problem, it doesnt even click
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (str8boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by str8boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the battery for voltage dropoff , starter needs 12volts or more, not like radio, or lights..also rotate the motor from the crank make sure free, if manual trans try to pop start...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i try cranking it already...its a good there...and how do u pop start..it is a manual..i have a extra starter, so im gonna try that first..thanks everyone i hope we can get this figure out

EDIT

put new starter on..same thing..i know for a fact this one works...look over all my wiring, and re did the dist. also made sure both crank and cam gear was at TDC....everything is all good..i dont know y its not working...im gonna try new wires and then maybe a dist..and if that doesnt work i guess im just gonna have to sell it...

Modified by ace42004 at 6:51 AM 3/29/2005
Old 03-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ace42004)

i have good news and bad...i went to go push start it...i dont live by a hill but we have a pretty long strech or pavement...anyways it was only me and my gf(which doesnt no how to drive stick) I told her to just dump the clutch when i told her too...it came on for the 3 second before it stall from her dumping the clutch..

so my question is now what causes a car to do that were u have to push start it to work..isnt it the starter..if so i use 2 different starter and still doesnt work..please help...i still have little hope for it...
Old 03-29-2005, 06:07 PM
official honda whore

i would check all your grounds
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like maybe your battery or your ignition switch. Your starting sytem is like a roadway to move electricity. The battery stores the energy, once you turn the key your ignition switch then sends that energy to the starter. If there is a brake in the roadway your going to have problems. But you should be able to pop start it unless your battery is so weak that pop starting is not enough. In my opinion it is your battery or battery connections. You can also do test with a volt meter to see if you're getting power to the starter.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start...help me please (cadougherty_67)

alright i been working on it all day...found lots of bad grounds, fix all of that..and still no luck..I relocated my battery to the back and i was using a amp distribution block thing to supply my starter and engine fuse box...anyways i guess my fuse for the starter wire busted...got a new one...and turn the car on...still no luck..but now when i try to start it...it goes click click click over and over..i told my GF to try to start it and i look underneath the hood..the sound was coming from my starter..it sounds like its trying to start but cant...im stuck here now...but im making progress

Also i get a check engine light but not a solid one...is there anyways to check this???

Modified by ace42004 at 4:09 PM 3/30/2005
Old 03-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...help...i also think it might be the main relay
Old 03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

start small

check your terminals for corrosion or if the battery has charge

if it clicks just once when you try to start it, its probably the starter

does the fuel pump prime? if it doesnt then check your main relay
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car wont start...help me please (itr_eg)

i check the battery already...i even used my GF battery and samething...when i go to turn it on..it doesnt just click once..but over and over until i stop..

thanks everyone for there inputs...its gotten me closer and closer to the problem
Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you confirm that you're getting 12+ volts to the starter? maybe there could be a loose connection there, maybe a bad ground or f'd up power cable.

if not ,did you check all your fuses?

maybe check the signal wire from the ignition switch to the starter. to do this take the small wire off the starter. with a voltmeter, put the hot on the wire you took off and the black to ground. have someone put the key to the start positon. at this point you should get 12+ volts.

hope dis helps homie

Old 03-30-2005, 11:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace42004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump...help...i also think it might be the main relay</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree
Old 03-30-2005, 11:13 PM

It is very hard not to get 12v to the starter. THe cable is directly between them with a 18" cable.

Grab a random wire and jumper the positive terminal to the starter solenoid on the starter. If that makes it crank, then you are having a problem getting a signal to the starter.

Check your neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal, that would cause what you are talking about. If it doesn't think that you have the clutch all the way depressed, it will not send a signal at all to the starter solenoid.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cray91)

alright i went to go jump the car with my gf car..and got it to crank but wont turn over..turns out my battery is really weak....but when i went to go jump my car i blew the fuse to my starter wire again...im thinkin bad ground...so im gonna check my tranny ground again and i put a ground on the starter too...hopefully this works..if not then its cause im not getting any spark, right. Cause if the car cranks but doesnt turn over its cause i have either no spark or no fuel..i can probably rule out the fuel...i really need to go buy new plugs (maybes that the problem) cause i have new spark plug but still using the old plug wires
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I figure it out...will i think..its the main relay..cause i hear my fuel pump priming but then when i try to turn the car over...it makes a bunch of clicks from the area of the main relay then i get a CEL...so im getting a new main relay on the net..and ill see if that works..

thanks everyone...i went from everything wrong with it down too one little problem..thanks

Also it just got really nice here in the midwest so i figure that plays into it too...everything points to the main relay...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt sound like ur plugs, but go ahead and get new ones if you need em...stick with the easy stuff still, you said it may be ground wire, go for that cause its easy to do and get outta the way....

overall id say replace the battery if it cranks
Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr_eg)

alright i found out what it was...stupid *** me...the timing belt is loose and when u go to turn it over it just makes a flaping nosie...anyone know a good site or thread that shows how to tightin up the timing belt with the engine in the car..

thanks

NVM i did it right just didnt do the 3 tooth CCW...

Modified by ace42004 at 10:53 AM 4/7/2005
Old 04-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace42004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright i found out what it was...stupid *** me...the timing belt is loose and when u go to turn it over it just makes a flaping nosie...anyone know a good site or thread that shows how to tightin up the timing belt with the engine in the car..

thanks

NVM i did it right just didnt do the 3 tooth CCW...

Modified by ace42004 at 10:53 AM 4/7/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

So is everything fine now?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SjCiViCHB)

nope...but im forsure what it is now...either the plug wires or the Dizzy..cause when i took out the spark plug to get the car back at TDC i could touch and smell the fuel on the spark plug, so im guessing its not getting a spark...it cranks but doesnt turn over..if that doesnt do it then im done with it...

Quick Reply: Car wont start...help me please