Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car wont start...already searched but nothing similar...need help asap

Old 05-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car wont start...already searched but nothing similar...need help asap

ok heres what happened. i got my car dyno'd and was on my way home. then about 10 min into going home, my car dies. im like WTF?! so i let it coast and luckily had enough speed to go up the next ramp. i pull to the side of the street and waited like 5 mins before starting it again. it started and i hear this noise that sounds like the alternator belt. i thought ok maybe its just loose. then i drive about a block and the noise is getting louder and louder. i turn it off and pop the hood to see if the belt is okay and it was. i start it up again and it still made the same noise. then i thought to myself, oh **** i hope that the timing belt doesnt snap cus its on kinda tite. then i start it up agian and drive it another block and it dies again. i start it up again and hear this loud metal on metal noise like ting, ting, ting, ting.... i pop the hood and it was coming from the motor. this is when i get scared. i didnt want to leave the car in that area cus its ghetto over there and plenty of riceboys will pass by and might steal the car. granted they might not get far, but i didnt want anything missing (rims, gauges, hondata, turbokit, etc...). so i decided that i have to get it to somewhere safer. so i drive about 5 blocks to this well lit parking lot. im sitting there thinking what i should do. then i decide that its only a little safer cus its lit and didnt want to leave the car there. i said **** it. if it dies itll be in a better area than where i was. so i drive it as far as i can. the cars still making the noises and it idles extremely low and sometimes dies. i get it to the garage safely and decided to call it a night cus i was up the night before making sure everything goes fine for the dyno and was hella tired. the next day i was trying to figure out what went wrong. i was thinking that maybe the valves were hitting the head or pistons so i swapped the head with the one from my spare motor with a new headgasket and used that copper gasket sray too. i had arp headstuds in there before so no worrys about that. i get everything hooked back up and try to start the car and it wont crank. i try again and same thing. i check the usual spark/fuel and theyre fine. i try again and all this time, all i can hear is this high-pitch whining noise coming from the starter. im thinking maybe its dead or the gears inside are fucked up or something. so i go and grab another starter my friend had sitting around from doing his swap. it installed it and the same thing, just a high pitch whining noise like a small rc car motor. by now im stumped. i called my one of y friends who has a built motor and he thinks that maybe i spun a rod bearing. i told him i took off the head and he asked if there was any damage to the valve or pistons. i tell him no as far as i can tell. he said that when he spun his rod bearing, there were metal chunks in the head and in the oil. there were no metal chucks in my head and only some shaving in my oil. they stuck onto my magnetic oil plug i installed before the turbo. i called another friend and he said that the teeth on the flywheel might have come loose and is just spinning around the flywheel when the starter spins it. i went to a parts store and told them what happened and they also think that the teeth from the starter and flywheel arent catching. he said the flywheel might be warped. when i had the head off i checked to see if all the pisons came up and they i did. i turned the crank pulley so the the pistons came up and down about 5 times just to make sure the rods werent broken. when i try to start the car the timingbelt spins too but nothing else except for that whining noise. i really have no other ideas. please help me out. sorry for the long post. i just wanted to guys to know exactly what happened so that itll make it easier for you to help me out. any ideas would help alot. thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car wont start...already searched but nothing similar...need help asap (peiku)

DAMN!

Paragraphs are your friend!
Originally Posted by peiku
ok heres what happened. i got my car dyno'd and was on my way home. then about 10 min into going home, my car dies. im like WTF?!

so i let it coast and luckily had enough speed to go up the next ramp. i pull to the side of the street and waited like 5 mins before starting it again. it started and i hear this noise that sounds like the alternator belt. i thought ok maybe its just loose. then i drive about a block and the noise is getting louder and louder.

i turn it off and pop the hood to see if the belt is okay and it was. i start it up again and it still made the same noise. then i thought to myself, oh **** i hope that the timing belt doesnt snap cus its on kinda tite. then i start it up agian and drive it another block and it dies again. i start it up again and hear this loud metal on metal noise like ting, ting, ting, ting....

i pop the hood and it was coming from the motor. this is when i get scared. i didnt want to leave the car in that area cus its ghetto over there and plenty of riceboys will pass by and might steal the car. granted they might not get far, but i didnt want anything missing (rims, gauges, hondata, turbokit, etc...).

so i decided that i have to get it to somewhere safer. so i drive about 5 blocks to this well lit parking lot. im sitting there thinking what i should do. then i decide that its only a little safer cus its lit and didnt want to leave the car there. i said **** it. if it dies itll be in a better area than where i was. so i drive it as far as i can. the cars still making the noises and it idles extremely low and sometimes dies.

i get it to the garage safely and decided to call it a night cus i was up the night before making sure everything goes fine for the dyno and was hella tired. the next day i was trying to figure out what went wrong. i was thinking that maybe the valves were hitting the head or pistons so i swapped the head with the one from my spare motor with a new headgasket and used that copper gasket sray too.

i had arp headstuds in there before so no worrys about that. i get everything hooked back up and try to start the car and it wont crank. i try again and same thing. i check the usual spark/fuel and theyre fine. i try again and all this time, all i can hear is this high-pitch whining noise coming from the starter. im thinking maybe its dead or the gears inside are fucked up or something.

so i go and grab another starter my friend had sitting around from doing his swap. it installed it and the same thing, just a high pitch whining noise like a small rc car motor. by now im stumped. i called my one of y friends who has a built motor and he thinks that maybe i spun a rod bearing.

i told him i took off the head and he asked if there was any damage to the valve or pistons. i tell him no as far as i can tell. he said that when he spun his rod bearing, there were metal chunks in the head and in the oil. there were no metal chucks in my head and only some shaving in my oil. they stuck onto my magnetic oil plug i installed before the turbo.

i called another friend and he said that the teeth on the flywheel might have come loose and is just spinning around the flywheel when the starter spins it. i went to a parts store and told them what happened and they also think that the teeth from the starter and flywheel arent catching.

he said the flywheel might be warped. when i had the head off i checked to see if all the pisons came up and they i did. i turned the crank pulley so the the pistons came up and down about 5 times just to make sure the rods werent broken. when i try to start the car the timingbelt spins too but nothing else except for that whining noise. i really have no other ideas.

please help me out. sorry for the long post. i just wanted to guys to know exactly what happened so that itll make it easier for you to help me out. any ideas would help alot. thanks in advance.