Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   car wont start after it over heated. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/car-wont-start-after-over-heated-3043166/)

freshCROOKS 04-02-2012 02:58 PM

car wont start after it over heated.

so my friend bought a 96 civic hatch the other day. We were driving it back have and it over heated (hour and a half of driving). Pulled Imy the gas station and I checked it out. No coolant what so ever. also found out that the thermostat wasn't working and was closed the whole time. We tried filling the radiator up with water and still no start. It had the cel on. 4 codes. Engine coolant temp sensor, catalytic converter, misfire in cylinder 1 and 3. It cranks but won't start.fuel pump is working. Idk what to check next. I'm kinda new at this and still trying to learn. where to i go from here? What else can I check? What can it possible be? PLEASE HELP!!!

dE.fUsEd 04-02-2012 03:00 PM

Re: car wont start after it over heated.

Ouch. Check the oil, what color is it?

Silvertune 04-02-2012 03:21 PM

Time for a new motor.

Bradshaw 04-02-2012 05:34 PM

yep check oil. if your coolant is all gone though, i'd say your motor is too. thats got blown headgasket written all over it

Cmoya07 04-02-2012 05:55 PM

thats why i never use water because it just boils out in the summer and freezes and cracks your block in the winter....always use anti-freeze

freshCROOKS 04-03-2012 09:46 PM

should I replace the head gasket or just get another motor.

freshCROOKS 04-03-2012 09:49 PM

Oil looks fine

furious94ls 04-03-2012 10:06 PM

Most likely it's done.

jbpnoman 04-03-2012 10:46 PM

The motor isn't scrap yet. Take the head off. Look for cracked cylinder walls. It's time to find out just how bad you guys screwed up that motor.

Voodoo7 04-03-2012 10:55 PM

drain the oil, if its milky than you have blown the head gasket. Other than that the only other symptoms of those codes would be bad plugs/spark, or a clogged cat. But I would go ahead and assume you will have chocolate milk when you drain the oil. Like stated above pull the head and see what kind of damage you have done to it. Most likely it will be cheaper to just replace the motor.

94EG8 04-04-2012 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by jbpnoman (Post 47135805)
The motor isn't scrap yet. Take the head off. Look for cracked cylinder walls. It's time to find out just how bad you guys screwed up that motor.

Overheated aluminum block for an hour and a half is absolutely scrap. You can almost definitely get it to run again, but it will take a oil at a ridiculous rate.

jbpnoman 04-04-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 47136190)
Overheated aluminum block for an hour and a half is absolutely scrap. You can almost definitely get it to run again, but it will take a oil at a ridiculous rate.

What? The way I read the OP was that it was driven for an hour and a half, which the OP thinks is what caused the overheating. If he/his friend actually drove the car for an hour and a half with it overheating, they need to sell it to the junk yard, and use what little they get for it to buy a bicycle. What kind of moron drives a car for an hour and a half with it overheating?

94EG8 04-04-2012 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jbpnoman (Post 47136361)
What kind of moron drives a car for an hour and a half with it overheating?

Attachment 447142

Does this answer your question? :P

It wasn't mine, I just got hired to sort it out one time. It was driven overheated about that long. Temp gauge didn't work, guy didn't notice it was overheated till he saw smoke coming from under the hood. Kept driving because he was scared it wouldn't start if he shut it off.

dE.fUsEd 04-04-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by freshCROOKS (Post 47135619)
Oil looks fine

I would buy a compression tester and then a leak down tester.

Unhook the CPU fuse under the dash, and do a compression test.
If bad compression, proceed to do a leak down.

They are both VERY easy to do.

dE.fUsEd 04-04-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 47136787)
https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/...tCoverback.jpg

It wasn't mine, I just got hired to sort it out one time. It was driven overheated about that long. Temp gauge didn't work, guy didn't notice it was overheated till he saw smoke coming from under the hood. Kept driving because he was scared it wouldn't start if he shut it off.

Holy crap. :(

freshCROOKS 04-04-2012 09:14 AM

The temp gauge wasn't working so Idk how long we been driving it while over heating. About an hour and a half later, it started smoking and died out. Don't have to to check it today but most likely this weekend.

jbpnoman 04-04-2012 01:39 PM

Oh.
My.
God.

Go get a new motor out of a junk yard. You're SOL.

Jiyusan 10-28-2012 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 47136787)
https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/...tCoverback.jpg

Holy Smokes!

I wont use water anymore.

Fnix 10-29-2012 08:03 AM

Is there a way to have a block tested and see if it is still good after overheating?

HondaMyWayOfLyf 10-29-2012 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by freshCROOKS (Post 47137515)
The temp gauge wasn't working so Idk how long we been driving it while over heating. About an hour and a half later, it started smoking and died out. Don't have to to check it today but most likely this weekend.

damn thats shitty, yep time for a new engine ;) IMO i would NEVER buy a car with the heat gauge not working thats just sketched out

Terry Hernandez 08-22-2017 04:04 PM

Girl friend a has a honda civic202 and it run hot I changed the head gasket. It turns over but Wil not start what do y'all think timing or value s help

mk378 08-22-2017 04:35 PM

You're in the wrong forum for a "202".

A general rule is that driving overheated until the car will go no more means that you will need a new engine. There is likely no compression due to damage to the rings.