Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start....

I have a 95 Honda Civic EX,and a week and a half ago it stalled out while I was stopped at a stop sign. When this happened it didnt hesitate or anything it simply just stalled out. The car had been running fine, so I was quite upset when this happened. None of my lights had been on (ex. CEL,battery light, or oil light) either. The car will turn over, but just won't start. i can crank and crank but the car refuses to start. I replaced the fuel pump, and still nothing. Removed, had tested, and replaced my ignition control module, and still wont start. I'm running out of ideas, and money, and would just love to get my car running! Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start....

im having the same problem with mine but mine is a 98 ex

and when i push start it it starts like nothing but then when i get somewhere it wont start it, like is dead but everything turns on lights etc etc dunno what can be

and it only does it sometimes not all the time any ideas guys
Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Starter solenoid?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a way to test that? I have a very limited car knowledge, but if i can find a diagram, or instructions I can do it. i'll be purchasing a haynes guide very soon!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Starter solenoid?
No he says the motor cranks, if It cranks, the starter is doing its job, Pull your distributer cap off and check in ther make sure everything look ok and nothing is loose or worn the hell out
Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW OP, whats the mileage on your car? And has any of the timing system been properly maintained
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by civichxtreme2
No he says the motor cranks, if It cranks, the starter is doing its job, Pull your distributer cap off and check in ther make sure everything look ok and nothing is loose or worn the hell out
Yeah. He did say that. Are you sure the CEL works? When was your last tune up? Getting spark? Fuel?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im thinking its spark., sounds like his distributer cap may have come loose while driving, it would explain all of this, the stall and everything
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For future reference, im a she not a he. But, as far as I can see everything in the distributor looks fine, the ignition coil does have a very fine bit of rust on it, dunno if maybe that could be a problem? The Mileage is 205k, and it does need a tune up, this was supposed to be my fix up car, but after buying it my other vehicle died. the car was very poorly kept before I bought it. Also, I can see the parts inside the motor moving when I try to start it so I know the timing belt/chain is still in tact. And, the CEL does work.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so just go back to basics and check everything. You need four things for the engine to run.

1. Ignition (Spark)
2. Fuel
3. Timing
4. Compression

Make sure you have all of these and you should be fine.
You can probably buy or rent a compression tester at your local auto parts store.
Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key?
And you can pull out each of the spark plugs and hold them up to your exhaust manifold and have someone turn over the car to check for spark.
And as far as timing goes, you'll have to pull of the timing cover and check it that way.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sorry for the assumption that you were a guy LOL, I would follow the above listed steps, try the compression tster, id bet you that thing jumped timing a tooth or two
Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Trial User

Check for black/burnt spark plugs! Also can you hear your fuel pump kick on?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the fuel pump priming, can you hear it? When the keys is turned to the run, not crank position. You should hear the pump humming(priming) for around 3-5 seconds.

Have you checked the mechanical timing?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Trial User

The engine will turn over WITH a broken timing belt, pull the distributor cap and get someone to eyeball the inners when you crank it. Nothing turning= busted belt. Next spray some starter fluid into intake port and crank, if it fires and runs for a few seconds it's a fuel problem. Next pull off one of the rubber boots and wire from the distributor and use an insulated length of wire and hold the uninsulated tip about three eights of an inch from the engine block anywhere, as someone else cranks the engine over, this is just to test for spark. These should be done in order and you should have a pretty good handle on where to look, fuel?? electrical?? or mechanical?? This may not fix your problem but you should learn where you need to look in detail as to finding the source of your problem---good luck--------Hollerin

Last edited by Hollerin; 05-11-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CURIOSO----- I THINK YOUR STARTED IS BAD...AND FOR THE GUY WITH THE PROBLEM CHECK THE DIZZY...AND THE CRANK SENSOR...MITE BE THOSE TWO...
Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it either one of two things distributor or timing belt
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by L0oney201
CURIOSO----- I THINK YOUR STARTED IS BAD...AND FOR THE GUY WITH THE PROBLEM CHECK THE DIZZY...AND THE CRANK SENSOR...MITE BE THOSE TWO...
i already check the starter and is good took it to my local store parts and is good
i check everything and is good

like i said it only does it sometimes not all the time

can it be that is a little off timing?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by curioso
i already check the starter and is good took it to my local store parts and is good
i check everything and is good

like i said it only does it sometimes not all the time

can it be that is a little off timing?

Okay your Problem is the Clutch safety switch you can either 1 Unplug it and cross it over or replace it.. First I would try unplugging it and seeing if it cranks over then.. if it does then thats your problems.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Trial User

Okay now for the OP... You have a Main relay under the dash above the fuse box. It is a box that is about 1in tall 2in wide and 1in wide. Listen for it to kick when you turn the key to the on postion.. Or feel for a click on the box... If neither is present replace the relay and be on your way...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having this same problem where it only starts sometimes, if it sits for more then 30 minutes theres no way ill be able to start it unless i push start it then try to crank it then push start and crank again it starts but runs really rough. ive been told its the engine temp sensor. its pretty cheap and could fix your problem but it didnt fix mine. also it could be something with the ignition switch ive read. let me know what you figure out ive been trying to fix my car for a while
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Trial User

our problem sounds like the Main relay. The solder comes loose on the connections alot mainly after it gets warm and looses connection... check your main relay and it should fix your problem..
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i only does it sometimes then it ur main relay...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 95EG2
if i only does it sometimes then it ur main relay...
^^^^^^Just as I said... Start simple on diagnostics then go to bigger problems..
Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well guys, I am very glad I decided to quit buying parts until i knew what was wrong. Had it towed to the shop today, and it jumped time and messed up a few valves. So a new motor it is. A friend suggested buying a used head and puttin that on it, but the shop said they have dont that before and usually the car is back in the shop gettin the bottom half of the motor replaced. Anyone have any suggestions??? Also, I will more than likely end up looking for a 95 honda civic ex 1.6 vtech motor if anyone has one they no longer need!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by dc_honda95
I have a 95 Honda Civic EX,and a week and a half ago it stalled out while I was stopped at a stop sign. When this happened it didnt hesitate or anything it simply just stalled out. The car had been running fine, so I was quite upset when this happened. None of my lights had been on (ex. CEL,battery light, or oil light) either. The car will turn over, but just won't start. i can crank and crank but the car refuses to start. I replaced the fuel pump, and still nothing. Removed, had tested, and replaced my ignition control module, and still wont start. I'm running out of ideas, and money, and would just love to get my car running! Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know what could be causing this problem? Thanks in advance.
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS. THE GOOD THING IS THAT THE PROBLEM WILL COST YOU ONLY $50 BUCKS AND YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF, IT WILL ONLY TAKE YOU 10 MINUTES. ITS YOUR MAIN FUEL PUMP RELAY. I ACTUALLY GOOGLED (MAIN FUEL PUMP RELAY) AND IT GAVE ME PICTURES OF HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF. I BOUGHT THE MAIN FUEL PUMP RELAY AT AUTOZONE FOR LIKE $54 BUCKS. NOW MY CAR STARTS FINE EVEN WHEN I PARK IT IN THE SUN IN 110 DEGREE WEATHER!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Car won't start....