Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

My car broke in a very busy and cramped parking lot. I am waiting till tomorrow and going there at 5am so I can check for what the problem is and push start it if need be before other people wake up , go there and make it impossible.

I turn my key, all the dash lights come on and A/C blower starts blowing like normal, but no cranking. No clicking. I popped the hood and checked connections and relays, all seemed fine. Battery does not seem weak, but I will bring along a jumper box to cover the basic.

From searching this forum, I am getting that besides the starter, this could be:

1) Main relay under dash...somewhere on the passenger side.
if it is, I cannot fix it tomorrow, but can I at least push start the car or jump the starter directly to the battery with a bad main relay and get it home?

2) Ignition switch.......I have a second ignition switch from when my car was broken into and will bring that along and hotwire it.

3) Clutch neutral switch.
I didn't think of it at the time because I didn't even know there was a switch there, but now I wonder if it's just this switch. Two starts before the one my car stopped working, I had to press my clutch all the way to the floor before it would start. Normally, I don't have to floor it. Next one, it started with me pressing the clutch like normal. Now, won't start at all even with the clutch floored and car in neutral. Does this saftey switch have a little plastic stopper like the brake lights switch?

Mainly, what I need to know that searching didn't answer (probably so basic no one thought it needs explaining ) Can I push start my car with a bad main relay? Jumping the starter directly to the battery.....I assume the contact with the bigger wire on the starter is where I want to make contact with the cable I hook up to the battery? If my clutch safety switch is broken, can I just bypass the switch with a wire?

Thanks for your time and hopefully my car will still be where it broke when I wake up tomorrow lol

Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car won't start (Herc130)

sounds like your clutch safety switch, i say this because the amount you had to push the clutch in to start the car varied before it wouldnt start anymore, you can jump it with a wire and it will also work if you pop start it....if that doesnt work it's obviously something else but my money's on neutral safety switch.