Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start

when i try to start the car all i hear is this sound that resembles a machine gun ( rapid loud repteitive sound) so i went to change my battery thinking it was that b/c the engine didnt even make a noise like it was the battery being dead. so i put a new one in and the new one didnt work...it was like it didnt have any juice in it cause it wouldnt even turn on my cdplayer. any idea what the sound was that i heard when i tired to start the car up? and is it possible that the brand new battery i just bought is a dud?

1995 honda hatch dx. thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 11:44 PM

can u hear ur fuel pump prime??
Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car wont start (custom session)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by custom session &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i try to start the car all i hear is this sound that resembles a machine gun ( rapid loud repteitive sound) so i went to change my battery thinking it was that b/c the engine didnt even make a noise like it was the battery being dead. so i put a new one in and the new one didnt work...it was like it didnt have any juice in it cause it wouldnt even turn on my cdplayer. any idea what the sound was that i heard when i tired to start the car up? and is it possible that the brand new battery i just bought is a dud?

1995 honda hatch dx. thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>
first off...thank you for posting the Y,M,and M of the car...usually most noobs don't. you might wanna post the list of mods currently on the vehicle as well
next...the noises you're hearing is probably either a bad starter or worn teeth on the starter that are supposed to meet up with the teeth on the flywheel.
could also be a bad main fuse....check all your fuses for continuity first with a digital multimeter...NOT by eye!

are you getting the idiot lights in the instrument cluster?
can you hear the fuel pump priming upon ignition?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM

interesting thing happened today when i went to advanced auto zone to see if the battery was a good one or not. some dude over heard my problem and told me to check my leads as they might be bad even if tey are tightly screwed onto the battery. so when i get home with the same battery ( they said it was good) and i put the leads back on and tighten them nothing happens again... so then i move the positive lead some and hear the fuel lines start to prime so i jumped into the car and tried to start it and it died again... long story short I did this a few more times and it eventually started. i let it run for a few mins and then i tried it again and it started right back up... so i guess it is bad leads after all right? it couldnt be anything else since moving the leads allowed for current to flow..

so next how do i change the leads on the cables ??? thanks!!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (custom session)

Cut them off and replace them with lead ones. This tends to be a common problem. Check your start power connection for corrosion, that is the number 1 cause, second would be the battery terminal. Also check your battery ground, and the trans ground. Despite a dead battery, these are the only other things that would cause your starter to click like that.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM

how do i check my start power? and what is that. thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (custom session)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by custom session &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do i check my start power? and what is that. thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have a digital multimeter use it to test for voltage and start near the underdash fusebox. set the meter to DC voltage and ground the black lead of the meter and take the red lead off the meter and locate the starter wire coming from the ignition switch going towards the underdash fusebox and test there. it should be a little thicker than the other wires under the dash (approximately 12 gauge wire for the starter wire). it should be in a plug with an even thicker white wire.
the thicker white wire is battery voltage...there should be a black/white striped wire in the same plug as the thick white wire. the black/white striped wire is your starter signal. put the red lead of the meter into the pin of the plug and then attempt to crank the engine while watching the meter. if you have around 12 volts there...then check the under the hood starter connection (you might need a buddy to help you with this cuz it's easier with 2 people) put the black lead onto the chassis somewhere to ground it. then take the red lead off the meter and touch it to the black/white striped wire on the starter itself to see if it's getting voltage there while you have your friend try to crank the engine with the key. again...you should have around 12 volts there.

yea 1000 post!