Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please.........

I have a 94 Civic with a B16A. I left the head lights on a few days ago and when I came out it was dead. The next day I had a friend jump me and it started. I let it sit for a few min to see if it would charge, and it kinda did. So I went into work and when I got off I again tried to start it an it just kinda clicked one time and now nothing......... So I went and got another friends car and tried to jump it and there was nothing at all. My dash light come on but my VAFC is off. I thought maybe the battery is just to dead to take a charge or maybe the main relay is bad now, well tried all that and still nothing........

Can the VAFC be bad or the ecu is burned out? If so is there a way to test it? Please if any of you can help, thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help please......... (CBURKE)

hmm.... first off. You have to get it started. Keep trying. First thing you want to check is connection of Positive and Negative to the battery. Then check the battery. how long have you had it? Then go to the alternator. After that, you have an electrical short (hot wire tapping ground) somewhere which is draining your battery. Have you had any trouble before jumpstarting? i doubt the b16a and 94 civic has anything to do with it. And dont you have that PING when you leave the lights on when you go?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no there is no ping, not that yr. I cant get it started, it does nothing. You turn it and nothing. The VAFC is not even coming on. It did before this happend.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this happended to me. check all ur grounds... especially the one by your tranny. that sounds like a ground problem.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (track_assassin)

is it possible you just didn't leave it on long enough? Leave them on for like a minute b4 trying to start it (and make sure you have no power on, door's not opened, etc.) THen leave them on for like 10 minuts, see if you have the problem :-\
Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I put a new batt in and still nothing.......... I never touched anything under the hood. Like I said, I jumped it that morning and it started, when I got out of work and went to start it it acted like it was going to start and did not. So I tried to jump it again and now it is dead. I am thinking it is the ECU maybe. The VAFC takes power from the ECU and it is not coming on. So this makes me think I may have blown up this ECU. My check engine light is coming on and there is no codes, will the ck light come on if the ECU was bad?

Modified by CBURKE at 7:27 AM 4/24/2006

Modified by CBURKE at 7:33 AM 4/24/2006
Old 04-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CBURKE)

check engine light but no turnover? how about other lights... interior, turn signals, try hazards cause work without even puting a key in.

my friend had a really weak turnover on the starter and found out the terminals to the batt were corroded. how does the connection look between the batt prongs and terminals? take some sand paper and grind the insides of the term and outside of batt prongs and see if it helps. Does your radio turn on? how about air controls?

you say there is a check engine light with no codes. how long does the check engine light stay on for? is it constant or does it turn off after like 10 seconds? your ECU can go bad but it is on very rare occations that an ECU poops out on you. what year motor, what ecu? OBDI or OBDII?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 AM

you probly have a really realy dead battery. get a charging thing and charge it.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it may be the ignition switch.........
I'm trying that after work.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, well thats not it..........
I guess I am gonna have to get a chipped ECU and see if that is it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (keemosaki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keemosaki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check engine light but no turnover? how about other lights... interior, turn signals, try hazards cause work without even puting a key in.

my friend had a really weak turnover on the starter and found out the terminals to the batt were corroded. how does the connection look between the batt prongs and terminals? take some sand paper and grind the insides of the term and outside of batt prongs and see if it helps. Does your radio turn on? how about air controls?

you say there is a check engine light with no codes. how long does the check engine light stay on for? is it constant or does it turn off after like 10 seconds? your ECU can go bad but it is on very rare occations that an ECU poops out on you. what year motor, what ecu? OBDI or OBDII?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the connection looks fine, the check engine light stays on for a little bit then goes off. It is a OBD2, and everything turns on in the dash. I clean them alot with a wire brush. This is just going to take some time i guess to go through everything. I cant be anything big, it was fine before the batt went dead.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the check engine light is supposed to come on when you first turn the key. as for the oil light. after a few seconds they are ment to go off. including a maintainence light. yeah ignition see what that does... maybe the wire to the starter is fudged with. gosh... so many possibilities.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got it, thanks for all the help