Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start.

Car won't start. Battery has been tested it is putting out more than enough cold crank amps. The Starter has also been tested, and works fine. I tried running a wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter, and it would not turn the car over. Wouldn't even pop the gear out of the starter to spin the flywheel. Today I cleaned the battery terminals themselves, and cleaned the power source wire from the battery to the starter. Now the gear pops out, and i Can hear it struggling to turn the car over. It started to rain so i could not check the other grounds, but before I tackle the grounds tomorrow, is there anything else I should consider?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Car won't start. (ThaSpitefulWun)

dist?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Car won't start. (civicrida3)

car runs great on a pop start
Old 10-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then the starter isnt getting power the right way.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:40 PM

when you try the starter, does the car even sound like it turns over? If not, there is a wire on the starter that has a female connector on it, and if that isn't on the starter, it will not sound...
Old 10-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Car won't start. (t25hatch)

all new wires all the way around, still nothing... hooking up the volt meter tomorrow...

When I changed the grounds wires and attempted to start the car, i heard a clicking sound in the area of the main relay... what the???

when i stated i could hear it trying to start, it is best described as a buzzing sound coming from the starter itself, no turnover though...

man this is wierd... but like I said, it pop starts and runs fine, no sputter nothing...

The wire that attatches to the sel. is attatched...
Old 10-05-2004, 05:04 AM

morning bump, nothing like morning wood...

still need ideas
Old 10-05-2004, 05:08 AM

seized motor... might wanna try and see if the starter would even be able to turn the flywheel at all?!?! ... that includeds taking the drivers front tire off and takin the timing cover off to put a wrench on the crank pulley and seeing if you can turn it by hand... if the starter motor pinion gear is spinning out but maybe not moving ... it sounds to me like you could be seized....
Old 10-05-2004, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Car won't start. (hondainspired)

car runs on a pop start bro...

i tested volts at the starter and have 12.4v. I ran from starter power source too selonoid starter switch and got the same.

I also tested volts at the switch when the key gets turned, and it reads between 5.0 and 9.5 volts... weak starter?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start

check the starter. remove it and put 12V to it, but be careful, those things have lots of torque, will jump around alot. also, do not let it go for more than half second. starters are special motors, they do not have a limit on RPM, will go until they burn out from friction/heat

other than that, i dunno. my car had similar things, pop started nice, didn't start electrically, but that was a bad battery, and if you read 12v in morning w/o charging it, it's fine
Old 10-05-2004, 06:25 AM

you said your car will run when you pped start right? then you had founded your problem. your starter is bad take it to an autoparts store for a test. or you can try this tap your starter with something prefer the end of the hammer. then try to start your car.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:31 AM

bad ground!! always the problem
Old 10-05-2004, 07:06 AM

Default Re: (91TurboSir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91TurboSir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad ground!! always the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necisarly, It could also not be getting enough amps to the starter. I know you said it read 12v but that has NOTHING to do with the amprage reaching the starter. you could for example have bad conections to the starter that is barely making contact. That will give you 12v but maybe only allow 5amps of current to pass thou. You propably would try to,
A - Clean all the terminals (Sand paper all the areas that come in contact for a good connection. check for damage ect.
B - Is your battery terminals on tight? are they also clean? Check those and give them the wire brush treatment.
C - Hook up a test wire to the little spade connector on the starter to positive. What that wire does for you is give power to the solinoid which pops out the gear and also trips the internal relay for the starter motor itself. The car wont turn over but it should crank at least. If that solves your proplem you know which wire/circuit to trouble shot now.

Some ways to get a starter with a bad solinoid is to tap it with a hammer while someone is turning the key to start. If that does the trick Keep the car running goto a shop get a new starter and dont shut it off till you get home. You may not be able to get it to start for you again which would suck. But then again its a honda and the starters can be changed out from the top of the engine bay with a socket wrench.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThaSpitefulWun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car runs on a pop start bro...

i tested volts at the starter and have 12.4v. I ran from starter power source too selonoid starter switch and got the same.

I also tested volts at the switch when the key gets turned, and it reads between 5.0 and 9.5 volts... weak starter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Id say if the battery has been checked out good. Clean all your terminals and check your battery ones in particular. To me it sounds like a bad or weak conection somewhere. I dont belive there are any relays in this particular circuit but i can easily be wrong.

I still stand by my advice of checking your battery terminals first.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Car won't start. (nocternaldragon)

when i turn the key, main relay clicks VERY loud... is this normal?

all terminals have been sanded, wires have been replaced... im running out of ideas and things to test... lol
Old 10-05-2004, 08:27 AM

did u try to run compression test? could be spark plugs???
Old 10-05-2004, 09:32 AM

Not sure about the relay, could be that but i doubt it. try replacing it first its only 10 or so. Then replace the starter it sounds to me like its faulty then. cause if you can pop start it, that narrows it down to just the circuit with the starter in it. PPL DID YOU READ THAT? IT WILL POP START JUST FINE! so stop posting things related to the engine being completly shot its not. It is the starting circuit ie the part with the starter itself in it!

Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The loud clicking is most likely the starter, not getting enough current or voltage. like others said, check all connections, including the chassis ground. you can pop start with 9v because the fuel pump will still give enough, then the alternator starts putting 14.4 to the system.

check all connections from battery to chassis/starter/fuse box
Old 10-05-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (TekSI)

Try checking the fuel system. I am not sure what year civic you have but i know EF civics have similar problems. Check the fuel pressure and the try to test the fuel pump.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThaSpitefulWun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car runs on a pop start bro...

I also tested volts at the switch when the key gets turned, and it reads between 5.0 and 9.5 volts... weak starter?</TD></TR></TABLE>
musta not seen that