Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont start. *hybrid EG*

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Moe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start. *hybrid EG*

Ok so my car wont start. Just did an IM swap, and yada yada yada. Its a b18c1 in a 94vx.

So it had been sitting for a while i broke out the meter, says 12v comming from the battery as it sits.

Crank it over with my Chipped p28 that i ran in my car, 00si, for a while. It keeps cranking and will not turn over. So im like WTF mate, take that out and pulg my p72 back in, crank it over, it sounds as if it wants to turn over now, but still nothing. So i try one more time, and i hear a little pop kinda like a backfire.

So i give up come inside and make post here at honda tech.

Other specific things.... the car is using an Ex/Si harness, because The harness on the previous motor was hacked to all hell. So me and a friend changed the harness and took off all the connectors that i needed. MAP sensor, VSS and a few other misc ones that were on the car.

So now im kinda few up cuz the car will not start... just lookin for help ideas, of things i may have left out. Arcived posts, anything will help.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Moe

Default Re: Car wont start. *hybrid EG* (Moe)

All my connectors are plugged in, my fuel lines are connected to the rail and my filter bolt is tightend, i should be getting fuel. Vaccume lines are connected also.

Would i need to repin anything using a EX/SI harness and plugging it into a VX harness?

Theres more info in this post i made a few weeks ago.. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=974561
Old 09-18-2004, 12:03 PM

what about all your ground wires?! your engine harness grounds could be loose or not tightened
Old 09-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car wont start. *hybrid EG* (itsm3paul)

Check to make sure your plug wires are in the correct order on the distributor.
They should be positioned like this on the distributor:

Then start with the normal routine.
-listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on.
-check for spark.
-check cam timing
-etc,etc.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Moe

Default Re: Car wont start. *hybrid EG* (Slopoke)

Rgr that slopoke, i think i may have mixed up the firing order. It didnt occur to me until after i went to work today. I HOPE that is all i did, i dont thinkg there should be any other problems than that.

Im getting fuel, i pulled the rail, so thats out of the question, cam timing should be fine, cuz it was running before, belt is in good condition. Only other thing that could be off is the plug's because i took mine off wrote down the firing order in the wrong order i marked 4 as the lower cuz i forgot the number in which they are on the cylinders.

For that i get a...
Old 09-18-2004, 08:04 PM

definatly a timing probolem. if the firing order is correct try setting everything back to TDC and try it again
Old 09-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Moe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rgr that slopoke, i think i may have mixed up the firing order. It didnt occur to me until after i went to work today. I HOPE that is all i did, i dont thinkg there should be any other problems than that.

Im getting fuel, i pulled the rail, so thats out of the question, cam timing should be fine, cuz it was running before, belt is in good condition. Only other thing that could be off is the plug's because i took mine off wrote down the firing order in the wrong order i marked 4 as the lower cuz i forgot the number in which they are on the cylinders.

For that i get a... </TD></TR></TABLE>
you might wanna pull your spark plugs and dry them off too, ill almost bet they are covered in gas because you had the firing order wrong
Old 09-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Moe

Default Re: Car wont start. *hybrid EG* (Kamin)

rgr that sir, will do in the AM. Going to check out my firing order, YAY!

Checked out my firing order last night, and it was..... yea... umm.... im stupid.

Modified by Moe at 3:45 PM 9/19/2004
Old 09-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Moe

So today, i started it... and it fired right up. But would not idle... unpluged the map sensor, and still no idle, switched my MAP and my IAC plugs, and it wasnt that, it just stalled the car. So it will idle very low like 1k rpm's, the car will rev up just fine.

Figured that it was the ECU needing to relearn, let it run for a few and nothing changed.

Checked my plugs, and there pretty bad. Need to be changed... so im kinda out of ideas here.

I noticed that one of the wires on my IAT sensor were a little freyed.

Have yet to check for any CEL's, need to get on that so i can figure this out.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1k RPM's is a little higher than normal. Im running ITR cams and my Idle is around 890-930
Old 09-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Moe

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1k RPM's is a little higher than normal. Im running ITR cams and my Idle is around 890-930</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the idle at start up, the cold idle. Which is usually up around 1.5k, mine is sub 1k like almost gonna stall. After it reaches opperating temp i wouldnt be concerned with an idle of &lt; 1k but this is at start up.

It sounds like a vaccume leak, the more i have been reading im starting to lean towards that, the engine will rev up but is just having trouble holding idle. Im gonna check for CEL's and see what that gives me.

Im also thinkin that i can no longer use my p72 cuz alot of the stuff its checkin for isnt even there, so im gonna run my chipped p28 on it.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Moe

Default Re: (Moe)

So we fixed it, a friend of mine came over. Gave it a once over, and adjusted the fast idle controll valve. And then i showed him an extra plug that i had chilling in the engine bay. Turns out that i had the wrong plug, plugged into my IAC.

Fixed that and she idled fine, gasket on the im sealed correctly and its running fine.

I have yet to repin my o2 wire on the harness, vx hatch, so i ocasionally throw the 01 code, but only after long trips of extended driving.