car wont spark or ignite. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont spark or ignite. HELP!

history of my car...
-96 ek hatch (used to be automatic)
-just finished swapping a JDM ZC into it w/ Manual tranny.
-running an OBD2a engine harness with jumper harness of OBD1. (manual harness off an EX)
-p08-900 (automatic ECU)

i just done a 92 obd1 ZC swap to my ek and it just wont spark or start.
there is power within the car.
the radio turns on, headlights work, horn works, etc.
fuel pump primes.
relay click.
all sensors are connected.

i did a Code check and it ONLY gave me a code: 19 which is "Automatic transmission lockup control valve"
... and i do understand i have an automatic ECU, but i heard it still works with manual tranny engines.

battery is still good at 12.6 volts.

when i try to ignite the car. i see some of my cluster lights dim just a little bit. it does show a check engine light, oil light, and battery light, but all fluids are in and battery is good.

there is absolutely no spark/ no ignite. no click from the starter no nothing.

the only thing i can think of is probably bad ground? or bad igniter? like i should change the cap&rotor for distributor, get new spark plugs, and get new spark plug wires?

i am now wanting to know what all you honda-techer would think is this possible situation of why theres no spark or inigiting?

any help or thought counts and will be gladly appreciated! **thumbs up**

thanks.!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car wont spark or ignite. HELP!

we just went throught the same issue. and borrowed someone elses dizzy, it turned out to be the problem. try a known fuctioning dizzy!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dead CIVIC
we just went throught the same issue. and borrowed someone elses dizzy, it turned out to be the problem. try a known fuctioning dizzy!
thanks! imma try that tmr! anyone else with any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, to me, that honestly seems like the problem. If you're not getting an ignite, or a spark it mostly relies on the distributer, and/or the spark plugs wires////plugs as you may know. Try changing that first as stated above, and if not, go down the list of things that deal with starting a vehical. Keep testing things until you see changes. Start with the dist. and what not first, then check out the ignitor or, the grounding's in your car if changing the dist///wires/plugs proves ineffective. Keep us posted on your progess.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You converted from an auto to manual.. did you short the neutral safety switch? or hook it up to the clutch safety switch?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by geebs
You converted from an auto to manual.. did you short the neutral safety switch? or hook it up to the clutch safety switch?
i did not hook anything or any sensors that connected to the clutch pedal. and the neutral safety switch? not quite familiar. get back to me on this as soon as possible! still haven't figure it out yet! thanks!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem when i swapped my car from auto to manual.... the problem for me was simple. where the ecu harness and the engine harness connect to each other there should be two plugs that look almost identical... when you disconnect them your left with four plugs one goes in one and the other in the other.... before disconnecting them see if the colors on the plugs from the engine harness match accordingly to the ecu harness.... these harnesses are found in the engine compartment on your passengers side.... if that isnt the problem then it will def. be the dizzy but im sure this is it... thats the problem with swaps people never check the connections
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22 kid
i had the same problem when i swapped my car from auto to manual.... the problem for me was simple. where the ecu harness and the engine harness connect to each other there should be two plugs that look almost identical... when you disconnect them your left with four plugs one goes in one and the other in the other.... before disconnecting them see if the colors on the plugs from the engine harness match accordingly to the ecu harness.... these harnesses are found in the engine compartment on your passengers side.... if that isnt the problem then it will def. be the dizzy but im sure this is it... thats the problem with swaps people never check the connections
i dont quite understand why the harness for the safety switch would be in the passenger side. but i think you are trying to say the ecu pluggins' and the ecu engine harness? and so you are saying i should double check if all my ecu harnesses are correctly in its proper pluggin slots?

and btw, i took out the little blue box and disconnected the harness that was connect to it. it is a security switch from and automatic i remember. does that have anything to do with it also?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont remember any blue box but then again i had a different swap than you did. i went from an automatic accord to a stick accord but threw in an h22 so its two different worlds here. i do remember where the radio is beneath it there was a plug that connected to the automatic shifter that had to have a fuse insereted into the plug so that way it was able to bypass that security reason i believe your talking about. i tried it without it and it wouldn't start but with it it did. but yes double check your plugs are connected correctly because for me i had them reversed and then i switched them and my car cranked and started right up.