Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont go into gear (5speed) HELP!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Car wont go into gear (5speed) HELP!?!?!?

My car has been making a loud humming noise when I start the car and when it idles, started about 3 to 4 months ago. No problems whats so ever in shifting gears. Does pop out of second gear once in a while when revving high in second. Other then that no problems. Car is a 92 Honda Civic Si with a d16z6 and s20 transmission.

Today, I got ready for work. Started the car, pulled out of the drive way and made my way to the freeway to work. Right before the freeway about 1 mile from my house, while I was driving and the car was in motion, I tried to pull it outta gear and it was rough. Then I realized it wouldnt go back into gear when I was pushing the clutch in. So I rolled the car to a stop into a neighborhood.

I realized it was going into gear while the car is off not while it was runnning also that it would not go into 5th gear while off. So I had the idea to put it into first gear and start the car. Started the car and the car moved, felt like the clutch was kind of engaging but not fully. Again that loud humming sound at idle but it made a weirder hum when pushing the clutch in, a new sound sounded worse. So I would have the car off, Put it into 1st, start the car, balance the clutch in 1st like normal and driving slowing around 4k rpms till i get to a stop by pushing the clutch fully in and turning the car off so the engine doesnt die too rough cause it was hard to get the car outta gear without the engine off. repeat till I got home. If I didnt turn off the car EVEN while the clutch is fully pushed in it would still die rough like I was still in gear.

I made it home safe. My guess is that its the throw out bearing. I've read that that humming is a sign of the throw out bearing. When I get paid I'm going to have the clutch changed out anyway since its been 7 years with this clutch even though I have no signs of it slipping only when dumping the clutch in high revs. My master cylinder has been slowy leaking into the cabin but its not a problem, thats been doing that for 2 years or so, I still have clutch fluid in the resivoir. The slave cylinder I replaced about a year ago, no leaks or anything. Is it the throw out bearing? thanks guys
Old 11-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Car wont go into gear (5speed) HELP!?!?!?

Originally Posted by doubleoazn03
My car has been making a loud humming noise when I start the car and when it idles, started about 3 to 4 months ago. No problems whats so ever in shifting gears. Does pop out of second gear once in a while when revving high in second. Other then that no problems. Car is a 92 Honda Civic Si with a d16z6 and s20 transmission.

Today, I got ready for work. Started the car, pulled out of the drive way and made my way to the freeway to work. Right before the freeway about 1 mile from my house, while I was driving and the car was in motion, I tried to pull it outta gear and it was rough. Then I realized it wouldnt go back into gear when I was pushing the clutch in. So I rolled the car to a stop into a neighborhood.

I realized it was going into gear while the car is off not while it was runnning also that it would not go into 5th gear while off. So I had the idea to put it into first gear and start the car. Started the car and the car moved, felt like the clutch was kind of engaging but not fully. Again that loud humming sound at idle but it made a weirder hum when pushing the clutch in, a new sound sounded worse. So I would have the car off, Put it into 1st, start the car, balance the clutch in 1st like normal and driving slowing around 4k rpms till i get to a stop by pushing the clutch fully in and turning the car off so the engine doesnt die too rough cause it was hard to get the car outta gear without the engine off. repeat till I got home. If I didnt turn off the car EVEN while the clutch is fully pushed in it would still die rough like I was still in gear.

I made it home safe. My guess is that its the throw out bearing. I've read that that humming is a sign of the throw out bearing. When I get paid I'm going to have the clutch changed out anyway since its been 7 years with this clutch even though I have no signs of it slipping only when dumping the clutch in high revs. My master cylinder has been slowy leaking into the cabin but its not a problem, thats been doing that for 2 years or so, I still have clutch fluid in the resivoir. The slave cylinder I replaced about a year ago, no leaks or anything. Is it the throw out bearing? thanks guys
**** the guess work. Start inspecting the shift linkage to see if bushings are worn out, take pictures if you can't tell and upload it to your next post.

Moving on to the tranny you will need to remove it to verify if the throwout bearing is operating as it should, releasing the clutch. Next would be to inspect the clutch itself.