Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car will not start after Fuel filter and distributor cap and rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not start after Fuel filter and distributor cap and rotor replacement

Hey everyone. Just wanted to start by saying thanks to anyone who can provide me help. I will describe my issue below:

1999 Honda Civic EX MT
Used all genuine Honda Parts as replacements
I needed to replace the distributor cap, rotor, and fuel filter on my 99 civic. I took the old distributor cap off and old rotor and replaced them. This was easy and straightforward and I don't feel there is really any way to screw this up. I have checked and rechecked the order of the wires on the cap and they are correct. After this I started my car. Car ran fine so I moved on to replacing the fuel filter.

I started by turning the car on and then fulling the fuel pump fuse to release the pressure in the fuel line. Waited for the car to die then went on to replace the filter. I cracked the lower bolt on the fuel filter, cracked the upper bolt on the fuel filter, removed the bolt securing the fuel filter. I removed both the top and bottom bolt. I then put in the new fuel filter. Secured the bottom bolt, got it strapped in and secured the top bolt (I did not fill the fuel filter with fuel......I realize now I should have). I also made sure to replace the crush washers on both sides of the filter. I went to start the car and it started up and then idled for a few minutes then died. Now for the life of me I cannot get the car to start. I have tried priming the engine by turning it on then off then on then off. I took the cover off the fuel pump and the pump is definitely working.

For troubleshooting I have loosened the bolt on the top of the fuel filter and then turned the fuel pump on and gas comes out the top....so I believe this confirms the fuel pump is working. I then also loosened the fuel line to the fuel rail and confirmed that gas sprays out there as well. So it seems to me that fuel is making it down to the rail. My battery is brand new, bought a week ago. I have recharged it and everything to make sure it has enough charge. I pulled out the spark plugs and they looked somewhat grimey so I bought and installed new plugs. Still will not start. I cranks and cranks and never fires.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I really don't want to get this towed and fixed. It seems like it is probably something really stupid. Please help!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Car will not start after Fuel filter and distributor cap and rotor replacement

TL:DR

Anyways confirm firing order of the plug wires and that the distributer is not 180 out.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Car will not start after Fuel filter and distributor cap and rotor replacement

I checked the firing order. It is correct. I have checked it over and over. Also I don't think its possible for the rotor to be on 180 out. The shaft is D shaped and it only goes on one way........

Any other ideas?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check for spark my friend, ive had coils die after fresh plugs and cap/rotor
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just making sure, though I don't think it's probable, did you put the fuse back in?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdan629
Hey everyone. Just wanted to start by saying thanks to anyone who can provide me help. I will describe my issue below:
F
Does anyone have any ideas for me? I really don't want to get this towed and fixed. It seems like it is probably something really stupid. Please help!
Test for spark:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda..._systems_3.php

Inexpensive specialty tool to do just that:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/iv...ark-tester.jpg

Read it. Understand it. Buy/borrow/appropriate the tester.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Car ran fine before changing the fuel filter and after you replaced rotor, etc? Hmm. Makes me think it's fuel related - something happened during the filter install. Shot in the dark here but what if you temporarily put the old filter back on? Just to see if she runs OK and to rule out a problem with the filter or the installation.

Also, I know it seems silly, but the order of those wires can trip you up, even after examining them multiple times. Post a pic of yours just so another pair of eyes can check too.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Trial User

You guys win. It was the Distributor Coil. I convinced myself it was not the fuel . I checked for spark and there was nothing, so I went out and picked up a new coil. Put it in. Started right up (well had to burn through some gas first). Works like a charm now. Thanks so much for everyones help.