Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch

ok here's the thing last night i left the cap off the clutch master cylinder and was able to drive it down the road about 3/4 of a mile and then it stopped moving the engine kept running but the car wouldnt' move. I still don't have the cap on the clutch resevoir cuz i do'nt have one. I went out to the junkyard and they didn't have any civics that were manual.

Here is my question though, what exactly is wrong with my car. I can change gears and everything but when i try to hit the gas and get the car moving i can let the clutch out all the way and push the gas and it just revs up. Also the speedo goes up. That's what is REALLY weird is how the speedo goes up. If i put it in first it stays at 5mph. Put it in second and it stays at 10mph and it just goes up by 5 each gear. What could be wrong is it just because i do'nt have the cap on there that it doesn't build the pressure needed? I'm really lost on this so if ANYONE can help me here then i will appreciate it greatly
Old 09-15-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (94CivicDx5spd)

bump
Old 09-15-2004, 09:12 PM
igy
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (TurboHatch00)

A broken/popped out axle and an open diff will do this. When you let out the clutch in any gear will the speed go up if you rev the motor?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (igy)

I don't know a lot but it sounds like your clutch is not enguaging that would allow the motor to rev but for you to go no where if it is in gear if that makes any sense kinda like always being in nuetral. Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (ralphie14)

low on fluid, air got in the line. if car was runnin fine before u lost the cap, shouldnt be that serious
Old 09-16-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (94CivicDx5spd)

it could be that ur axles have mysteriously popped out. or it could be that ur syncro rings are worn out.. this would only be true if you had air in ur system for awhile and the syncro rings slowly became worn out... if u say u only left the cap off over night then it may not be that serious..but i would suggest that u drain ur tranny oil and chk for metal scarps....

notice the useless tools are always shinny and new but never used because there's never anything they could fix....

Modified by funkiesmell at 1:49 PM 9/16/2004
Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (funkiesmell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funkiesmell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it could be that ur axles have mysteriously popped out but i dont think so... ur syncro rings are worn out.. basically every time you shift gears you shift a syncro ring into another gear thus changing gears.. u said u had no cap on ur clutch master cylinder causing air to bleed into ur system.. causing a ur syncro rings to force itself into the next gear when u shift.. its kinda of like changing gears w/o pressing the clutch but instead it's partially.. ur suncro rings have teeth which locks it into the next gear, sounds like the teeth on the ring have been worn out.. that would explain ur speedo moving... i would drain ur tranny fluid and chk for metal scraps...if this is the case u need a new tranny... good luck hope im wrong...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya I think this is way off..... Just get a new cap, bleed your clutch to get all the air out and your clutch should start working properly again.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ya I think this is way off..... Just get a new cap, bleed your clutch to get all the air out and your clutch should start working properly again.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually he is kinda right. It could be that the axel popped out, cause he said that the speedo is going up but he is not moving. which means that the tranny is moving. And if there was air in the line or a leak then the slave cylinder would pop out. and he would be stuck in the gear he is in. or not be able to put it in gear.

And to the creator of this thread, go down to honda and get a new cap, you dnt want any deposits in your clutch line. there is a reason why there is a cap for it.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who the **** drives a manual car without a clutch fluid reservoir cap?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who the **** drives a manual car without a clutch fluid reservoir cap? </TD></TR></TABLE>
i heard that this one guy did. i think his name is uh uh ..... 94CivicDx5spd yea thats it. 94CivicDx5spd thats the guy who drives around without one.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:43 AM

What persuaded you to take the cap off and go driving around?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car will not move: something is wrong with the clutch (Revolver)

ok first of all i didn't choose to drive around like that. Here is the story on this even though it got deleted before. I just finished the swap filled the clutch master cylinder with fluid and bleed it well apparently i didn't bleed it all the way cuz i couldn't put it in any gear so i took the cap back off and bled it some more. Didn't even think to put the cap back on cuz i was just so happy the car was moving so i took it for a test drive. That's when it stopped moving about 3/4 mile away from the house. So i didn't CHOOSE to not have one. I'm waiting on my friend that works at a honda dealership to get me one. Should be today or tomorrow, hopefully.

As for all the other comments i appreciate the help. I will look into all of the scenarios after i receive the new cap. I am hoping it's just because i don't have the cap.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup just bleed the clutch. Reason it doesn't move is because you have no hydrolic pressure to release/engage the clutch.