Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car vibrates once above 75...??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car vibrates once above 75...??

My front end has a very aggressive shake once every like 1-2 seconds when im going over 75, but once I get back down to 75 it immedietly stops shaking... And actually once i get to like 100 it goes away too... Also, if i floor it an just shift through gears, once i get to 4th gear an about 90-100 my car almost feels like its gonna start hovering, like i start to lose control of it or something... Wheel starts going one way, car starts going another.... Could all this be due to like a bad steering column, or loose, or something... I've replaced like every brake component I could think of an some.... Just cant seem to manage to find out wtf is wrong...?! Might just take it into mechanic to have'm tell me cuz im really running out of ideas... The shake almost feels like a warped rotor or bad wheel bearing kinda cuz its like a knocking shake, but mostly in the wheels not so much in the steering wheel...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car vibrates once above 75...?? (JDM_SOHC)

try reinstalling your wheel first. Second get an ailgnment
Old 01-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you have a wheel balancing issue. Usually if ur cars shakes or vibrates around 70-80 its ur balancing. Mine was doing the same thing and so after balancing of the tires drives so much better. It would be warped rotors only if you brake and ur steering column shakes.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car vibrates once above 75...?? (vietfella)

re-alignment, wheels balanced, make sure lug nuts are to proper tq spec.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tiw-rod ends maybe
Old 01-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car vibrates once above 75...?? (2DoorBandit)

get the balamcing done first then look at everything
Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car vibrates once above 75...?? (vtecsi00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecsi00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get the balamcing done first then look at everything</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think it would be better to check thing like tie rods and ball joints and wheel bearing first then to pay to get tires re balanced but thats just me
Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ook got complete alignment and balancing and it still shakes..... the shop where i got it said he thinks it may be a brake problem "regardless that i told him i've replaced everything" so needless to say i just rode out... still have no clue...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2DoorBandit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i think it would be better to check thing like tie rods and ball joints and wheel bearing first then to pay to get tires re balanced but thats just me</TD></TR></TABLE>

you beat me to it, JDM_SOHC check the ball joints, tie rods, and bearing first usually by looking at it and rocking it you can tell if its bad and its not pricey to change.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM

You can't honestly tell us that you took your car to a shop and told them that it starts to do this AFTER 75, and it quits after 100 and he didn't tell you to just not go that fast?

Check your ball joints/steering rack.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 PM

IMO a vibration or noise at high speeds is usually wheel bearing problems, but i may be wrong and it could be the ball joint or tie rod. however i doubt the tie rod. jack up the car and with the wheels unlocked move it side to side and up and down. feel for anything loose/odd movement (hard to explain). if still nothing bring it for an alignment check
Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (Mistermark)

Rims..tires...tie rod.... wheel studs.. check those first
Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DelSolB16Maryland)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DelSolB16Maryland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rims..tires...tie rod.... wheel studs.. check those first </TD></TR></TABLE>

well honestly the moron did give me that crock of *** for a line of help, but it was just a local little fix it quick shop but yeah anyways i jacked up car an wheels have no movement in any direction, have firm feel to them an also ive replaced both wheel bearings within past year....
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

Maybe your tires are bad.

Modified by Djaric at 2:19 AM 1/25/2007
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 PM

Usualy when your car begins to vibrate at high speeds it deals with a tire/front end issues, Usualy if a brake rotor is warped you'll usualy feel it in the brake pedal when your applying the brakes. My suggestion would be since you had the tires rebalanced and had a front end alighment done, If It was a good mechanic shop they should of looked at your tires while they were balancing them to look for shifted belts (where one belt in the tire slides over/under another belt which makes a high spot in the tire) in the tires. You can balance a shifted belt tire but you will still have the same problem. I think you need to look at your tires again, I had issues with brand new tires that had that problem, Just a manufacture defect. Thats my thought, also retorque your lug nuts.

Chris
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd just start taking stuff apart until i found something that didn't look right It should be pretty obvious if it is a tie rod or ball joint
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had that problem before when my axle boot ripp and i needed to replace the whole axle.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:20 AM

before i started buying hondas, my first car was a neon, and i had some 17'' chrome wheels on it. i could drive fine but once i got to about 65 it would shake horribly, but right under 65 it wouldnt. on the stock wheels it wouldnt do that at all. by chance do you have big wheels on the car, idk sounds kinda stupid but it happen with one of my cars. just an idea. hope you find out the problem
Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car vibrates once above 75...?? (JO Civic EJ)

you have a bubble in your tire, broken wires in the tires?! check that...i had that happen on my 89 camry and everytime i hit 65 it would shake badly until i go about 75 then it quits....i had it checked, the shop told me and showed me my tire...bad wires and a buble...check your tires man....TIRES!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 AM

do a tire rotation, see if you feel the vibration as bad as before
Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mistermark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistermark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a tire rotation, see if you feel the vibration as bad as before</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok got 4 new tires put on an balanced an everything today, STILL FRICKIN SHAKES..!!!! ay ya yi, im runnin outta **** to check man... checked all tie-rods, replaced all tires, aligned, balanced, ect....
Old 01-28-2007, 07:36 AM

you really should check your axels also!!!
my axel went bad and towards the end of my third gear the whole car would shake!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ilovejdmhoes23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ilovejdmhoes23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you really should check your axels also!!!
my axel went bad and towards the end of my third gear the whole car would shake!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya kno i was thinkin that the other day, cuz i replaced the axles sometime last year but they've seen track an everything since than so hmmmmmm... anyone else verify that maybe a bad axle would cause a vibration above certain speeds?? it doesnt knock when i turn or anything though...
Old 02-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your axles and if that is not the case, check your suspension, because I had that problem with my crx when I would be in the freeway going 65. So I got a new suspension and it stopped. Good luck finding your problem!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rexfan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rexfan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your axles and if that is not the case, check your suspension, because I had that problem with my crx when I would be in the freeway going 65. So I got a new suspension and it stopped. Good luck finding your problem! </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude u have no idea how long i stressed this, but after thinking to myself about it for like 3 weeks i gave up... everyone i asked the question "could it be a bad suspension maybe" to told me thats the last thing theyd replace if they were me, but i just had this bad feeling like it was my suspension because when i go over speed bumps my **** hits really hard, so i was like damn my suspension is shot out... is there a way to check the suspension of being bad??

Quick Reply: Car vibrates once above 75...??