Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Theft/Security - (Hopefull Sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Theft/Security Measures - (Hopefull Sticky)

Just an idea, but as of lately i think EVERYONE can attest that car theft is getting out of hand. I think instead of creating a forum dedicated to Car Theft posts and Security Measure posts, i think a sticky should be made inside each forum and kept unlocked so people can post up/report their car theft and what security measures their car(s) had this way others can improve upon their own security based on how others have had their cars set up. And it could also help out to see where the theft is really stemming from.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Theft/Security Measures - (Probot)

Do et!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for it
Old 12-06-2007, 06:46 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (MegaPower)

This should of been the first step towards creating a car forum with the most amount of cars stolen.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

yea, but i think if it's kept model specific..we'll be able to see what's getting taken more, from where, and what kind of security was applied.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (Probot)

Just hope the theives don't come into this thread and starting studying up on peoples protection setups. Im gain for it
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

http://causeforalarm.thecarthi....html

suspendedHATCH posted a link to that website yesterday, gives instruction and plenty of detail on how to best secure your car.

and chances are that thieves will check it out to see what we have, cant stop that, but we gotta do something to improve on it. im still up for setting up a beater with a body kit as bait and catching the bastards in the act.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i voted no. good luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Theft/Security Measures - (cxSHOE)

thanks?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 AM
GO GIANTS!

He don't need that thread. He already has that big *** wheel boot lmao.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Theft/Security Measures - (HondamanXxX)

lolol - yea, his car isn't goin anywhere
Old 12-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Voted YES. Damn good idea Probot!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Theft/Security Measures - (mcvtec)

Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seemingly a good idea, but really, it comes down to this: If your car isn't in a garage, the chances of it getting stolen are high. Doesn't matter what kind of a system you have. The car jackers will get it somehow. Or at least steal whatever you've got in there. 2 minutes and your whole interior might be missing. And when's the last time you did a double-take when you heard an alarm go off? I don't even bother looking anymore.

On the other hand, I haven't read a single thread recently of a car getting stolen out of someone's garage. Sure, it has happened, but not nearly as much as people who park out in the open. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but either put it in a garage or expect the worst...
Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (p nut)

Not everyone has a garage, plus this is about trying to stop theft from happening by deterring thieves by way of intimidation.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p nut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but either put it in a garage or expect the worst... </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not everyone has a garage, plus this is about trying to stop theft from happening by deterring thieves by way of intimidation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not even that - more than half of the theft threads are peoples cars being stolen from public places, schools, work, GATED SECURED parking lots. cant park a car in a garage when you're at work, or at school, or buying **** at the mall.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not even that - more than half of the theft threads are peoples cars being stolen from public places, schools, work, GATED SECURED parking lots. cant park a car in a garage when you're at work, or at school, or buying **** at the mall.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not everyone has a garage, plus this is about trying to stop theft from happening by deterring thieves by way of intimidation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I realize that putting your car in a garage is not an option for some of you. But the fact of the matter is, if your car is visible to the public, it is in danger no matter what you've done to your car. Sad, but true. And as far as work, school, mall go, well, try to park your car as up close to the front as possible and try not to go between big SUV's or Vans (where the thieves will have coverage). That's about all you can do.

Oh, those gated parking lots with the security guards are a joke. Just give the guy a nod and you're on your way.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM
GO GIANTS!

After reading and talking with you Probot I just had to read this whole write up

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1794938
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

holy write up batman, yea im at work, when i get a minute or 5 il read it but it definitely looks like information people need to know about if they dont already. which is another reason i started this thread was hoping for a sticky..pretty much so people can be aware of such things without having to look too far. and il be honest and if i get flamed i dont care..i didnt search for anything like that, just saw a post that he did yesterday and got the idea from there.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 AM
GO GIANTS!

Tell me about it.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then get a 2 way pager so you, the owner, can know. I just got one installed and the second the alarm goes off, the pager goes off. So yea no one turns there head to a car alarm but the owner could be getting notice of it too.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Theft/Security Measures - (superd16girl)

Sorry to jack your thread but this has already been posted. feel free to add to it or post your own. Glad we think alike though.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2154941
Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p nut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seemingly a good idea, but really, it comes down to this: If your car isn't in a garage, the chances of it getting stolen are high. Doesn't matter what kind of a system you have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm really not trying to sound offensive when I say that this kind of comment can only be made by someone that doesn't understand car alarms. It's easy to make negative generalizations about them when you don't know the full story.

A garage is only protected by a padlock. A thief gets the additional charge of breaking and entering... but a garage is only effective in that thieves wont steal something if they don't know it's there. In other words, hide your car! Which is pretty silly. Watch out for thieves that follow you, thieves that know you, and the thieves in your own neighborhood. Basically don't rely on your garage alone. You can't take it with you!

Car security is only effective if you install it BEFORE your car gets stolen. Follow the links that were posted. A lot of work went into those write ups.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (baller status)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm really not trying to sound offensive when I say that this kind of comment can only be made by someone that doesn't understand car alarms. It's easy to make negative generalizations about them when you don't know the full story.

A garage is only protected by a padlock. A thief gets the additional charge of breaking and entering... but a garage is only effective in that thieves wont steal something if they don't know it's there. In other words, hide your car! Which is pretty silly. Watch out for thieves that follow you, thieves that know you, and the thieves in your own neighborhood. Basically don't rely on your garage alone. You can't take it with you!

Car security is only effective if you install it BEFORE your car gets stolen. Follow the links that were posted. A lot of work went into those write ups.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No offense taken. When I posted that, I was assuming that everyone had already taken into the consideration of some of the commen sense factors (some, which you mentioned). What I was trying to get at was, 99% of the alarms out there are not effective (apparent by the number of thefts). With the info. highway era, more and more thieves that could not open a can of soup a few years ago, can break into a car very quickly.

Why are garages so effective? 1st, it takes the car out of plain sight. Your car is not out there all day and night for thieves to scope out. I read somewhere that most car theives scope out the car for a few days before striking. The garage can help reduce that visibility to the thieves. 2nd, it's a LOT tougher to break into a garage, then break into a car, and try to get away quietly....especially with a guard dog on duty.

I am not trying to discourage any others to install alarm systems, because something is better than nothing. And that write-up does a thorough job in explaining how to install a system more effectively. However, for me, I do not find the time and money spent on the alarm system to be any more effective than what I already have--a garage. I've not had a single break-in in my whole life. Keep it locked, in a garage, and use common sense (which I understand is not fool-proof.) And if they want the car so bad, they can take it. This is why I have a Honda--fun, sporty and CHEAP!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick Reply: Car Theft/Security - (Hopefull Sticky)