Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car temp still on cold. few other probs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car temp still on cold. few other probs

Hey I have a b18c swap in my eg and my temp is still on cold. Ive Just changed my thermostat today,n put bout a gallon of coolant in.Now theres no coolant at all coming out of the coolant bleeder valve. does ne 1 know what this problem could be?
Thankyou for ur time.

Last edited by PphamEK; 02-17-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car temp still on cold. few other probs

Bump?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you do the thermostat you have to let the car run and warm up enough to the point where the fan turns on... this opens the thermostat and sucks in a good amount of coolant.. when this happens you should be adding coolant simultaneously to make sure its filled. did you check your cluster? the temp gauge could be broken.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Lasky
when you do the thermostat you have to let the car run and warm up enough to the point where the fan turns on... this opens the thermostat and sucks in a good amount of coolant.. when this happens you should be adding coolant simultaneously to make sure its filled. did you check your cluster? the temp gauge could be broken.
x2 . And in the process of your motor swap you probably did something to make the gauge not work .
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When i had my Stock gauge cluster it worked, then when i put in my sir cluster it still work good for about a yr,
Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lasky
well i didnt let it run till the fan turned on, but i let the motor run for about 4-5 mins. not even sure my fan even works? nvr had heat prob. Do u guys think that its a temp sensor prob? what u guys think about the bleeder valve. i took the bleeder valve all the way off, and still no coolant...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds like you still have air in the system. turn your heater controls all the way to hot run your car until the cooling fan turns on add coolant untill full replace rad cp and fill over flow tank to top mark. make sure that you didn't knock off or disconnet the temp sending unit wiring when you changed the tstat
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had that problem before. the guy who sold me the car said the temp on the cluster didnt work. but ive changed the thermostat, water pump and flushed the radiator. still didnt work. so i thought it really was a broken needle on the cluster, i was planning to replace it, but i found out later that it does work. i had a clutch job done, and after that, my temp gauge automatically worked. it must of been something electrical. i havent asked the mech what he did or plugged in. but you might have missed a plug when you had the swap. double check.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instructor74
it sounds like you still have air in the system. turn your heater controls all the way to hot run your car until the cooling fan turns on add coolant untill full replace rad cp and fill over flow tank to top mark. make sure that you didn't knock off or disconnet the temp sending unit wiring when you changed the tstat
so when i let it the motor run, and the heat full blast, i should have the rad cap open to add coolant?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PphamEK
so when i let it the motor run, and the heat full blast, i should have the rad cap open to add coolant?
correct the cap needs to be off not just to add coolant but to also alow air to exit the system you could get a unit like this to burp the air out

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_2420_36
there is also a nice video on that link showing how to use the funnel to burp the system