Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car is STILL overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is STILL overheating

okay my car has been overheating for quite some time now, and sometimes its worse than other times. But the weird thing is, it doesnt tend to overheat when its just idling, only when im driving. this causes coolant to spew from the reservoir and the temperature guage to go up pretty rapidly. So i have to let the car cool down completely and add more coolant every time before i go somewhere.

It only takes a matter of minutes before it overheats, sometimes 10, sometimes more. I replaced the thermostat first, that didnt help, then i replaced the coolant temperature sensor, that didnt help. i bought a new coolant reservoir since it was melted and thats where coolant was spewing, ( my new reservoir has a vent hole though so now it just sprays from there)
My radiator fan works fine. when the car is hot enough, i can squeeze the radiator hose and i feel water running through it so im not sure if it could be my water pump or not.

I read a post on here that had a bunch of people with similar problems, and they were saying headgasket. but i dont see any way it could be my headgasket as i not having any smoke from the exhaust, and definitely no oil in my coolant or vice versa.

Right now, im reluctant to do this but i might have to replace my water pump just to see if that fixes it. This is expensive, however, and if it turns out to be my headgasket i will have spent all that money to change my water pump and timing belt plus god knows how much labor charge it is for a headgasket. (im not attempting this for a first time on my daily driver)

Are there any possibilities that i havent considered?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car is STILL overheating (jadugartir)

I don't see how it could be anything but a headgasket. Have you done a compression / leakdown test?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the exact same problem on both of my civics, one barely, the other I keep a few gallons of water in the car before I drive anywhere. I am giving in and replacing the headgasket then hoping it is fixed.
only other things I could think of is cracked block, maybe warped head? Warped head though would have similar effects to bad headgasket.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jadugartir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Right now, im reluctant to do this but i might have to replace my water pump just to see if that fixes it. This is expensive, however, and if it turns out to be my headgasket i will have spent all that money to change my water pump and timing belt plus god knows how much labor charge it is for a headgasket. (im not attempting this for a first time on my daily driver)

Are there any possibilities that i havent considered?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just do it yourself man you will save a load of cash on labor and what you are going to do is not hard it is just time consuming
Old 08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

Default Re: Car is STILL overheating (ralphie14)

if you get on it, does the heat start to rise. if your temp only goes up under load, then most likely it is your hg. you dont have to have oil/water contamination to have a blown hg and a comp test can be fine and you can still have a blown hg.

its prolly just enough to push exhaust gases into your coolant. go to a rad shop and have them use this liquid tester stuff that changes color if there is exhaust in your coolant. also smell your coolant. a lot of time you can smell exhuast in your coolant if your hg is blown.

and if you do end up having your hg done, get timing belt and h20 pump while you are there

good luck!