Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car starts and dies at idle or while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Car starts and dies at idle or while driving.

Hey guys i know there is alot of similar post but i need to be sure. I have a 98 civc d16y7 with about 150,000 miles. I have no codes popping up. Now then, my car while start but will struggle than die at idle but sometimes it will let me drive for a bit than die again. the other day though i was a block from my house when it died. i tried restarting it and it didnt want to restart at all this time. I have only owned it for about 6 months and i have replaced so many things. all the filters fuel, air, oil. I have replaced the fuel pump, ign. coil, icm, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cylinder lock. hearing people say tps or main relay. thoughts on this? i dont really want to spend a whole lot of more money on this car. i thought civics were suppose to be low maintenance.....
Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Car starts and dies at idle or while driving.

How do you know that no CEL codes are thrown? Did you try pulling codes with a code reader or did you jump the service connector?

Is the 7.5A hood Back Up fuse blown?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes im sure it has no codes. i will have to recheck all my fuses.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the video he talks about the lock cylinder/ignition switch. i have already replaced mine a month ago. As well as the fuel pump.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it stall out when warmed up, then will not start back again until it cools off? This would be textbook for igniter.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are talking about the icm that was also replaced a month ago. I already checked the wiring on it the other day. Seemed to help it start up but it is still dying randomly within seconds of idling or while im driving. It does not have to be warm. Idk if it is chance but it seemed to get worst recent with the low temp drop.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its your idle air control valve .....it controls your idle speed most likely the screen on it is clogged its on the back of the intake manifold. You can take it off try cleaning it and see if it fixes/ helps the issue but if nothing happens then swap a known good one on the plunger assembly could be faulty in your current one not allowing it to operate. But first start by cleaning the filter on it pretty sure it will help.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

And why would you replace so many parts to try and fix this issue. Before you throw money at any issue in your vehicle first start by getting it properly diagnosed, if you dont have the know how too bring it to a real mechanic shop this will save you a ton in the long run and headaches.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m90polk1
And why would you replace so many parts to try and fix this issue. Before you throw money at any issue in your vehicle first start by getting it properly diagnosed, if you dont have the know how too bring it to a real mechanic shop this will save you a ton in the long run and headaches.
Wow that bit at the end is total BS. Taking a car to a shop will almost always cost more than fixing it on your own.

If you don't know how to fix a Honda, read manuals and watch Youtube. If you can replace all those parts easily yourself, you probably have the know-how and resources to dig deeper into this problem.

When it stalls, what happens next, in order please?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most of those things i replaced because i wanted to being as i just bought the car or because i knew for a fact that was the problem. i have already cleaned the iacv though i was considering replacing it. when i start my car it will do of of two things. die within seconds or while im driving 5 minutes later. sometimes it seems to help when i frst start to rev real high.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you turn the key to 2 (II) and listen, do you hear the fuel pump? I'm guessing it could be cutting out sometimes.
There are some links in the FAQ sticky about testing and reflowing the solder on the main relay.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TripleLude
Wow that bit at the end is total BS. Taking a car to a shop will almost always cost more than fixing it on your own.

If you don't know how to fix a Honda, read manuals and watch Youtube. If you can replace all those parts easily yourself, you probably have the know-how and resources to dig deeper into this problem.

When it stalls, what happens next, in order please?
Its not bs if youve ever actually gone and had your car diagnosed it will range from 60-140 for them to tell you exactly what is wrong with it. Its very hard for someone over the internet to diagnose your car when the information is being relayed through a person. Ive had many people tell me symptoms of whats happening to their car and they make it seem like its one thing but when you actually do a test drive its something completely different. Im just saying take everyones advice with a grain of salt because you have to remember you cant actually test drive the car or work on the car first hand to diagnose it properly.....and from all the symptoms the op described it would be the iacv but idk im not there to diagnose it
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just my 2 cents, i would say iacv BUT i also ran in to a problem where my map sensor was faulty a.k.a some how got disconnected from the vacuum line. ( ecu did NOT throw a cell) hooked back up and was fine.

so what im saying is check your vacuum pressure, if that is good, get a multi meter and check the voltage for your sensors.

diagnose and figure out what the problem is then spend money. if you spend money in hopes or word of mouth,,, it may cost a lot for no reason.

if you wanna bandaid your problem, expect it to get better then get really bad.

simple as this really, you have a problem, diagnose, fix correctly, understand it is gonna cost some money, from there strategy and research.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the pump prims because i just replaced it. im taking the alternator out to go test it. I feel pretty confident it might be it. i might try the iacv after if the alternator test good. im not going to go pay someone to tell me whats up and than pay them to do it for me. thats the point of me comming on here, learning how to do it myself. THANKS EVERYONE FOR NOW BUT IM GETTING REPETITIVE ANSWERS SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW AFTER I DO SOME TESTING.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mikey Hernandez
yes the pump prims because i just replaced it.
Even if you just replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one, if your main relay is flaky, then the pump won't prime. The relay controls the prime when you turn the key to II.

I just wanted to be extra certain you understood this. The relay being flaky is a really common problem. I used to drive my car somewhere, park it, then 10 minutes later jump back in and the thing wouldn't start. Then sometimes it would. I re-flowed the solder on the main relay and all was well after that.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with the re-flowing solder on the main relay. It is free and easy to do and wouldn't take long.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i already tested for power on the main relay and since i use to work at a part store i threw one in for a day to see if it changed anything. nope.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well iacv solved the bad idling problem and all seemed well until i went for a test drive. got to the next city over when it died. If i rev it than it seems to stay alive for a bit.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still looking for help here guys. please! im running out of ideas.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Double back on everything you did and consider that you overlooked something.