Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car starts but dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car starts but dies

I recently installed a JDM H22 in a EG and now it starts up but dies 2 secs after. If i start it again, it would do the same thing. when i keep my foot on the throttle the car will stay on, but once i take my foot off it dies.

its also throwing a solid CEL. its not the ECU because i tried it in another car and it works fine.

any one have any ideas?

btw its a P13.

Modified by SoOHiGH at 7:21 PM 5/28/2005
Old 05-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car starts but dies (SoOHiGH)

Your best bet would be to find out what the code is and go from there.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts but dies (Syke Fu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syke Fu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your best bet would be to find out what the code is and go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the solid code means ECU is bad, but its not my ECU. i put the P13 in a prelude and it works fine.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

loose wires somewhere maybe !
Old 05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts but dies (rw92civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rw92civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loose wires somewhere maybe !</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope
Old 05-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car does the same thing until it warms up...then it idles atleast...but not where it should it idles at 1,000..my cel is IAT and Fuel supply system.....everything is fine..i ran all wires back to ECU...still messed...i gave up...i even have voltage coming out of the IAT..so i dono why its throwing codes?

simply LS swapped hatch...but converted to obd1? proboly the problem..
Old 05-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts but dies (b16delteg)

ok

NO CEL .. i fixed all the CEL, but now it only runs on 2 cylinder #1 & #4. I took all the injectors out and cleaned them with brake cleaner and still the same thing. check for power to the injector clips and they all get power.

anyone have a clue whats wrong?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoOHiGH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok

NO CEL .. i fixed all the CEL, but now it only runs on 2 cylinder #1 & #4. I took all the injectors out and cleaned them with brake cleaner and still the same thing. check for power to the injector clips and they all get power.

anyone have a clue whats wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>
What's the mechanical condition of the engine? Hows the compression?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts but dies (Chiovnidca)

210, 210, 225, 205

Old 05-29-2005, 01:11 PM

How did you hook up your resistor box? Maybe bad resistor box? Check all your ignition components. Other than that, that would be my guess.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 PM

check for a major vacuum port that is disconected. ie. your map sensor. you might be loosing your vacuum and when you give it gas you aren't building up as much as at lower rpm's
Old 05-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car starts but dies (Maintenance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maintenance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did you hook up your resistor box? Maybe bad resistor box? Check all your ignition components. Other than that, that would be my guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did it like this guy https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=517274

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95hatchd16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check for a major vacuum port that is disconected. ie. your map sensor. you might be loosing your vacuum and when you give it gas you aren't building up as much as at lower rpm's</TD></TR></TABLE>

if theres a vacuum leak from the MAP wouldnt there be a CEL? i got no CEL.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:10 PM

i have the same problem man...i just put cams/cam gears in my b16 and ill start it and the car wiull idle up and down for about 10 seconds then it will die...ill start the car after that and it will die unless i rev it up...then ill unplug my map sensor and the car will idle fine...but then i changed it with another civics map sensor and it didnt help...i dunno.....im going crazy because i want to get it on the road soon...
Old 05-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94_Del Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same problem man...i just put cams/cam gears in my b16 and ill start it and the car wiull idle up and down for about 10 seconds then it will die...ill start the car after that and it will die unless i rev it up...then ill unplug my map sensor and the car will idle fine...but then i changed it with another civics map sensor and it didnt help...i dunno.....im going crazy because i want to get it on the road soon...</TD></TR></TABLE>

does your car idle on 2 cylinder tho? because mines idle on 2 cylinder thats why it sounds like crap. sometimes it will idle then sometimes it would die.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (SoOHiGH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoOHiGH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

does your car idle on 2 cylinder tho? because mines idle on 2 cylinder thats why it sounds like crap. sometimes it will idle then sometimes it would die.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah man same ****! im gonna take it to a shop tuesday i hope and get it checked out...ill post up what is wrong....i am soo frustrated!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah man same ****! im gonna take it to a shop tuesday i hope and get it checked out...ill post up what is wrong....i am soo frustrated!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

let me get this straight .... yours idle on 2 cylinders too? or does it just idle then dies?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoOHiGH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

let me get this straight .... yours idle on 2 cylinders too? or does it just idle then dies?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds like 2 cylinders when i let it idle..thats when it dies.....but then if i rev it up or drive it in high rpms its fine...when i check to see if all 4 cylinders were on they were cause the header was hot as hell.....it just cant hold an idle...its weird
Old 05-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it sounds like 2 cylinders when i let it idle..thats when it dies.....but then if i rev it up or drive it in high rpms its fine...when i check to see if all 4 cylinders were on they were cause the header was hot as hell.....it just cant hold an idle...its weird</TD></TR></TABLE>

your problem is different from mines then. i ant even drive. yours idle like ****, but you can drive. mines idle like **** and i cant drive it because its only 2 cylinders.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:55 PM

check your timing....that happened to mine after i put it back together...it would only fire on 2...checked the timing and fixed it... it atleast started after that...i dunno good luck though...ill let you know what the shop says maybe its something similar to yours
Old 05-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your timing....that happened to mine after i put it back together...it would only fire on 2...checked the timing and fixed it... it atleast started after that...i dunno good luck though...ill let you know what the shop says maybe its something similar to yours</TD></TR></TABLE>

cranks at TDC .. cam gears are at TDC .. and Fly wheel mark is lined up.

they are all lined up at TDC.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not callin ya an idiot...but do you have the plug wires on all the correct cylinders...corresponding to the cap side

easy mistake...i did it once...ran on 2 cylinders....and i didn't know why...wouldnt idle...but i could drive it...try it maybe...i'm retarded...
Old 05-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16delteg)

dizzy

valve

passenger side 4 3 2 1 driver side.

im not retard
Old 05-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fixed !!

bad dizzy
Old 05-30-2005, 04:14 PM

nice..wish my problem could be fixed i tried everything!!! now i got it to idle but it bounces around from 300-1500...its weird...im replacing a few sensors tomorrow hopefully it works i tried everything
Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice..wish my problem could be fixed i tried everything!!! now i got it to idle but it bounces around from 300-1500...its weird...im replacing a few sensors tomorrow hopefully it works i tried everything</TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck man.

Quick Reply: Car starts but dies