Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car starting problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starting problems, please help!

Yes, it is another starting issue thread but I need to find out what is causing it. It takes a couple of tries to get the car to start. My VAFC-2 indicates that the voltage on the battery is 13.6-9 when its running. I can hear it prime up when its on "on" and sometimes its slow. Also, at times the lights on the cluster are dim and sometimes I can hear a ticking sound from underneath the driver side dash while the cluster lights are tripping out. Finally, when the car is started and when I use anything that uses electricity on the car (windows, changing the track, etc.) my rpms go down and then jump up after.

Does anyone know what is causing this?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Car starting problems, please help! (supereg2)

u prolly have a short in ur wiring. take the cluster out n check ur wirings. wen u 2nd click ur car,be4 u actually start it, do u hear the 3 tones wen ur fuel pumps? check ur main relay.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmEJchillen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u prolly have a short in ur wiring. take the cluster out n check ur wirings. wen u 2nd click ur car,be4 u actually start it, do u hear the 3 tones wen ur fuel pumps? check ur main relay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even though that was a short sentence, and that's giving that piece a lot of credit, it was really hard to read.

You probably have a short in your wiring. Take the cluster out and check your wires. When you turn the key to the ACC position, before it actually starts, do you hear the three tones and the fuel pump priming? Check the main relay.

Your alternator might be going out. Most places like Schucks and Auto Zone will check them for free.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supereg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it is another starting issue thread but I need to find out what is causing it. It takes a couple of tries to get the car to start. My VAFC-2 indicates that the voltage on the battery is 13.6-9 when its running. I can hear it prime up when its on "on" and sometimes its slow. Also, at times the lights on the cluster are dim and sometimes I can hear a ticking sound from underneath the driver side dash while the cluster lights are tripping out. Finally, when the car is started and when I use anything that uses electricity on the car (windows, changing the track, etc.) my rpms go down and then jump up after.

Does anyone know what is causing this? </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a alternator problem. i would go by what your VAFC is saying.
take it to a parts store and have them test both the battery and the starter, they can do both test at the same time while the parts are in the car.