Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car stalling after radiator & thermostat replacement (solved)

Old 06-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalling after radiator & thermostat replacement (solved)

A few weeks back, I came home and heard my car gurgling as if water was boiling. Sure enough when I stuck my key back in, the temperature was on max high. I proceeded to order new parts and refilled the radiator/overflow tank to hold me over until they came in.

I am driving a 2000 Civic EX with an Integra GSR motor.

Yesterday I installed:
'00 Civic Mishimoto Radiator
'00 GSR Mishimoto Radiator Hoses (upper and lower)
'00 GSR OEM Thermostat w/ Gasket
Did oil change (did not replace oil filter because I lost the tool)

This morning, my car started right up. It wasn't until driving for about half an hour that my car started boggling and stalling. I can see the speedometer jump before it starts to really boggle. This usually happens when I drive over 25 mph. I barely got home as the car stalled about 3-4 times, mid way through driving,

Once at home, I bled the air from the cooling system by letting my car run with the rad cap off (while topping off the coolant). I did NOT turn my heater on as whoever I bought the car from did not hook up the engine block to the heater core. Took a drive down the block and although it didn't stall, it boggled really hard again. Speedometer needle jumps to 40mph and CEL comes on for about half a second after starting... that's about all it does now.

Sometimes, my ECU will be making the olden day computer processing noises as my CEL flickers (before even starting the car), almost being 25% lit rather than being fully on.

wFkC1cN.gifv
The gif shows how I had to turn over the key twice before it started on the third try.

The other thing I'm worried about is this plug under the upper radiator hose. As I was doing the install, I tried to cover it with plastic, but the coolant inevitably found it's way in.

What could it be? I'm not sure if the OEM thermostat I ordered from eBay is actually OEM now, though the coolant levels DO seem to drop when the fan kicks on.

Last edited by dimsumjim; 06-14-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Car stalling after radiator & thermostat replacement (solved)

Alright, my apologies for my stupidity because I seemed to have left the thermostat ground wire bolted in, but not tightened. I will give an updated report if it happens again. I did however just go for an 8 mile drive and it seemed absolutely fine.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Car stalling after radiator & thermostat replacement (solved)

I was going to recommend checking that ground bolt. I had the same experience when I swapped the thermostat in my 98 civic.