Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car is sputtering when i accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is sputtering when i accelerate

just last week my car started sputtering every time i accelerated and took off.
and when i'm on the freeway, it's faint, but i notice i am only going around 60-65, not my usual haul *** to work 80 because i feel this lag.
i know i failed smog because my timing was off at 10 intstead of 16.
can it be my timing?
i'm stuck, i opened my hood thinking it might be a leak on a vacuum hose, but nothing. then, i look at my distributor and there is black residue at the bottom
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is sputtering when i accelerate

Does sputtering include a loss of power? I'm thinking it could be a fuel problem, maybe try a new fuel filter and some injector cleaner? I've also seen a clogged cat show your symptoms. Hopefully this helps a little.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is sputtering when i accelerate

from my experience , sputting is usually a sign of needing a tuneup , since your timing is retarded so much, i would begin with putting timing at least at 14 btdc, and take off your spark plugs do visual on every one of them, if you see something different or funny from others thats means something is going on with your valve seal usually, or that one cylinder have a differnt compression , could be valve seal , rings or carbon buildup

take of the dizzzzy cap check and clean the terminals on the cap and rotor terminal with a wire brush. you can check resistance on spark plug wires but ive never done it, since the new denso wires are only 27 bucks free shipping from amazon, i would also replace the fuel filter , you be amazed how much gel gunk thing would come out from that filter, testing the oxygen sensor at a shop wouldnt be a bad idea. they charge around 20-40 bucks for it. or you can just replace with a denso one off amazon for 35 like i did.

you can do sea foam, i know people would have debates on using it, if you feel like there is a lot of carbon or craps build up, i dont recommand doing it, because all that stuff thats washed off would cover your sensors like O2, and it could clog the catalytic converter. if you do use it i dont recommand you put it in your oil , it sure cleans , but imaging how its thinning the oil and create more wear on the moving parts.